PCOSupport Community Forums

PCOSupport Community Forums (http://www.pcoscommunity.com/index.php)
-   Fertility (http://www.pcoscommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   IVF (http://www.pcoscommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6146)

melfab15 07-27-2007 12:20 PM

IVF

My new cycle has started, so let the fun begin! This will be my first IVF attempt and I thought that we could start a journal per say of what going though IVF is like since a few people are starting to try thier hand at it.

CD 2 or 3: I will go in for an appointment where I will have lots of blood tests, a pregnancy test (for safety), and an ultrasound to make sure that are no cysts. If all that goes well, we will start the twice a day injections for approx 10 days.

Please pray that I would stay relaxed and fully rely on the Lord during this time. He has really been working in my life and I look forward to seeing what He has in store for me through our IVF trial. Please also pray that Bryan would be able to learn how to give the daily injections that I will be needing and that he will continue to be such an amazing support system for me as my hormones will vary with the injections.

tryin'4#1 07-27-2007 01:00 PM

I stop my BC pill on Monday, but start my first shot of Lupron that AM. I must say I am a little worried about the entire IVF process. I can't even explain why- maybe because it seems 'so real' now?

My protocol:
7/30-Lupron begins! Wait for AF to start, get u/s and b/w on days 2 or 3, depending on AF date is when I start stimulation drugs of Bravelle (6) and Menopur(2) with close monitoring. I will take 2 shots of Ovidrel when the time is right.
Doxycycline before retrieval for 6 days (prevent infection), Endometrin (a fairly new drug- take this instead of the progesterone oil shots in the butt) 3 times a day vaginally (not supposed to be messy either!).
Ater retrieval-Medrol (can't remember what this is for- I think it was to help the lining, I will have to check) and baby asprin.
Transfer day- says I have to have a full bladder and to take the vaginal meds before transer. Then, 2 days of bed rest...

How about you ladies? I am just wondering how similar/different our protocols are!

What are you guys taking?

tryin'4#1 07-27-2007 01:01 PM

mel- sounds like your hubby is going to give you the injections- I don't mind giving them to myself, I feel as though I have more control over it. Have you ever done the injections before? I can't remember, sorry!

MonkeeD 07-27-2007 01:33 PM

I am about to start my second IVF, but my first official and full IVF cycle (I went thru the retrieval & transfer process...but didn't do the BCP/Lupron stuff last time).

We just met with the RE yesterday, and decided that once AF arrives (this weekend?), we will start on the new cycle. He told us at a very high-level that it would be:
Week One = BCP
Week Two = BCP & Lupron
Week Three = Get AF, Still take Lupron I think
Weeks Four & Five = Menapur & Follistim
Week Six = Retrieval & Transfer

I am waiting for the IVF coordinator to call me back so that we can get specifics and our exact "plan."

MonkeeD 07-27-2007 01:36 PM

My RE did also mention the new progesterine tablet that you can do instead of the PIO shots. You insert it vaginally, but apparently use a "tampon-like" applicator. And it is supposedly not messy. He didn't mention the name of it.

tryin'4#1 07-27-2007 02:00 PM

Sounds like the one they are giving me. I would much rather do that than the oil progesterone shot. Looks like we have a very similar plan!

shouston26 07-27-2007 02:44 PM

Ladies, thanks for sharing. This is very beneficial for those of us who may be moving to IVF very shortly. Makes me feel like I at least know what to expect.

Good luck to you all. Sending lots of baby dust your way.

Keep us posted on this thread so we can follow you through the process.

melfab15 07-28-2007 08:32 PM

STIMULATION DAY 1: today is CD 2 and today I went for me RE appt. I had a unrine HPT test to confirm that I am not PG (im not- ha ha), I had blood tests, and I had an US to make sure that I have no cysts and to measure the size of follies that I have. I have 6 on my left and 10 on my right and one of them is already a 9. So the RE says it looks great so far.

We also began the injections today. I will continue with my (metformin) Fortamet ER and my prenatals and I will begin taking 200 units of follistim every morning for 5 days. I go back on CD 5 for my bldwk, another US and to see if my Follistim should remain the same of be lowered. (Since I am doing a trial it can not be increased)

GROW FOLLIES GROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (But not dont OHSS please :wink: )

melfab15 07-28-2007 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tryin'4#1
mel- sounds like your hubby is going to give you the injections- I don't mind giving them to myself, I feel as though I have more control over it. Have you ever done the injections before? I can't remember, sorry!

I have done injections before for an IUI cycle but I HATE SHOTS!!!!! Since this is a pen injections, I might try giving them to myself, we'll see how I do when it's go time. LOL

MonkeeD 07-28-2007 09:50 PM

AF arrived yesterday. Wow - much heavier/worse than my normal AF (I guess b/c of the failed IVF cycle). Cramps, headache, heavy flow. Today is CD2, and the IVF coordinator called yesterday and told me to begin the BCP on CD2, so I took it this morning. I am also still on my Met (and bromocriptine for a pituitary tumor). We are meeting with the IVF coordinator in person on Thursday to discuss the plan...and until then, its just BCP.

Mel - are you not doing any sort of Lupron or BCP before you start stimming?