Thread: Just Me
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #2

hey kristina,
i'm confused about a lot of this PCOS too.

From what I understand the PCOS (somehow) causes insulin resistance which makes diabetes a high risk. I also heard depression is linked but idk how much research there is about that. I'm diagnosed with prediabetes, fatty liver, and PCOS.

My doctor wants me to take this stuff called metformin for the prediabetes. Then some kind of progesterone supplement for PCOS, this is to create menstrual cycles because if we don't have menstrual cycles, this increases our chances of cancer (which means historectamy). That's how i "treat" it (which basically means prevent it from getting worse). But maybe the doctor thought "treatment" meant to fix it or cure it. For that, there's nothing. It seems like some people on here just take the metformin by itself. I'm not sure if that will help with menstrual cycles. But metformin needs to be prescribed and is $5 a bottle.

There is also research needed on this. So if you do go to the doctor you should see if they can recommend you to someone who does research on this and see if they can cover the costs. I'm not sure how that works, but it doesn't hurt to ask i guess.

Good luck and I hope things get easier.
sammem is offline   Reply With Quote