PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Social & Chit-Chat

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
praises1139
PCOSuperStar!

Default arsenic in apple juice debate

Not sure if anyone has been following the whole thing with Dr Oz and the FDA arguing over how much arsenic is in apple juice, but Consumer Reports' testing backs up Dr Oz and his show today will address this issue again.
3pm EST

Last edited by praises1139; 12-01-2011 at 02:51 PM.
praises1139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
HeatherB

I don't know if this is true or not, and I don't even remember where I heard it, but some fruits and veggies naturally grow arsenic within. So we are eating it anyway as part of our natural diet. ...as scary as that sounds.

I would have to do a lot of research to find whether that is true or not.
2nd clomid 50mg, O CD-18, AF DPO 12
3rd clomid 100mg, O CD-18, AF DPO 16
4th clomid 100mg, O CD-17, DPO 11 BFP
My Ovulation Chart
BFP!!!! - Jan 19, 2012
Due date: Sept 30th
It's a GIRL!!

12 DPO Beta 56, 15 DPO Beta 358 & Progesterone 37
HeatherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Tink
PCOSuperStar!

From what I understand the apples naturally have a small trace of arsenic anyway, but many juice companies use apples from foreign countries and those apples have much higher rates of arsenic. Something like the fda regulates the amt of arsenic in whole apples coming into our country, but not in apple concentrate that comes into our country.

I buy only organic products for my kids, especially apple products (apples. juice, and applesauce)

Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
praises1139
PCOSuperStar!

They explained that organic arsenic occurs naturally in foods and is not toxic as far as we know, although the FDA is now looking into this too. Inorganic arsenic comes from pesticides, manufacturing, manmade stuff basically, and it is toxic. The inorganic levels are the ones they are arguing about. Consumer Reports said organic juice doesn't necessarily have less inorganic arsenic, although they commend the juice companies that are willingly monitoring their levels of arsenic since its not enforced yet. Without enforcement, what is happening now is that you can buy a bottle from one company today and it will have safe levels, but next week you could buy another bottle of the same brand and it have unsafe levels. It is better to buy all U.S. concentrate though--from companies that do monitor.
It's good that Dr Oz brought this up because the FDA is now re-evaluating the situation since their recommendations to juice companies only considered the short term effects of arsenic, not long term effects like cancer. Hopefully it will become regulated too.

Last edited by praises1139; 12-01-2011 at 08:40 PM.
praises1139 is offline   Reply With Quote