PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Mary*

Exclamation question about hair

Hi all!!

I've been experiencing extreme hair loss for about a year ago, being this last 4 months the worst. Right now I would like to dye my hair (I was thinking to do it with semi permanent color) but I'm not sure if I should do it, it's is possible to make worst the hair loss with this? Right now I have 2 see through spots (I'm so sad about it). My ob/gyn recommended me yasmin, I've been on it only 2 weeks. So far I feel that my hair is falling more, but I hope within 2 months will it get better. Any experiences with yasmin and hair loss??

Many thanks!!!!
Mary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
mom

Are you only on Yasmine? What about the other medications normally prescribed for PCOS? Have you been tested for hypothyroidism? What do your horomone levels look like? Has your doctor ever mentioned spironolactone? If you are losing your hair, you really need to understand what your hormone levels are and how you are being treated for your condition. Do you see an endocronologist?

As for the dying of the hair, I made sure my daughter had highlights when her hair loss was real bad. It kind of stiffens the hair and makes it appear a little fuller and makes it easier to manage. Highlights don't really come that much into contact with the scalp as does hair color, which made me feel more comfortable. I think it made her hair look better.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
chaplin

It could take up to 3 months for your body to adjust to Yasmin and for you to see noticeable effects.

Yasmin seems to be a love it/hate it drug. Some women are miserable and others react fabulously to it. As 'mom' states you may want to see an endocrinologist who can address all of the hormones in your body and not just your androgens, which are causing your various PCOS symptoms. Ob/gynos rarely have a deep understanding of hormones beyond the androgens.

As for the hair color, I don't think there is one answer. What is your natural hair color? Your natural hair structure? What color are you thinking of coloring it? I think this is a time I'd want to spend the money on a professional hair dresser to do the job, rather than trying to do a home job and hope the results are okay.
chaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
taysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom View Post
Are you only on Yasmine? What about the other medications normally prescribed for PCOS? Have you been tested for hypothyroidism? What do your horomone levels look like? Has your doctor ever mentioned spironolactone? If you are losing your hair, you really need to understand what your hormone levels are and how you are being treated for your condition. Do you see an endocronologist?

As for the dying of the hair, I made sure my daughter had highlights when her hair loss was real bad. It kind of stiffens the hair and makes it appear a little fuller and makes it easier to manage. Highlights don't really come that much into contact with the scalp as does hair color, which made me feel more comfortable. I think it made her hair look better.
hi there mom, how old was your daughter when she was diagnosed? my dauhgter is 13.
taysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
mom

Taysmom,

My daughter was 16 when she was diagnosed (now 17). I, however, first started trying to figure out what was wrong with her when she was 13 or 14. She quit having periods-which I knew wasn't right. Doctors over the years kept telling me she was fine. When her hair started falling out, the acne got bad, and she got a little hair on the corners of her upper lip, I really started pushing it. Believe it or not, I was still told she was fine (this whole time the doctors kept saying her hormone levels were a little off, but she was young and it would all work out). The next to the last endo told me-she is fine, her hair isn't falling out for any reason that he could help me with, that she was ovulating, etc. He told me I was being an overreactive mother. I felt like I was going to go crazy. Finally a new Gyno looked at her latest bloodwork and said she looked like she might have polycystic ovaries-the first I had heard of that term. She said she couldn't help us-I eventually took her to a doctor in New York because I couldn't find anyone to help us in Florida. He said it was clear she had PCOS and finally we started getting some help.

How is your daughter doing?
Old 06-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Mary*

This is my story...

I went to the ob/gyn and she told me that she couldn't prescribe me metformin because I didn't have diabetes/pre-diabetes and because I'm a thin cyster. I wasn't sure with her answer and I went to the endocrinologist, who did all the tests, and told me: you have to deal with it (I didn't want to take bcp as I'm TTC. Desperate, I went to the ob/gyn again who prescribed me Yasmin (I decided to put on hold the TTC). She told me that yasmin has a reaction similar to spiro, so she didn't prescribed me spiro. I had a misscarriage 4 months ago, I don't know if my hair loss have to do with this.

I have brown hair, and it used to be very thick, right now is very thin. I did highlighted my hair last december. But wasn't sure to retouch them.

Thanks a lot for your replies!
Mary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
taysmom

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom View Post
Taysmom,

My daughter was 16 when she was diagnosed (now 17). I, however, first started trying to figure out what was wrong with her when she was 13 or 14. She quit having periods-which I knew wasn't right. Doctors over the years kept telling me she was fine. When her hair started falling out, the acne got bad, and she got a little hair on the corners of her upper lip, I really started pushing it. Believe it or not, I was still told she was fine (this whole time the doctors kept saying her hormone levels were a little off, but she was young and it would all work out). The next to the last endo told me-she is fine, her hair isn't falling out for any reason that he could help me with, that she was ovulating, etc. He told me I was being an overreactive mother. I felt like I was going to go crazy. Finally a new Gyno looked at her latest bloodwork and said she looked like she might have polycystic ovaries-the first I had heard of that term. She said she couldn't help us-I eventually took her to a doctor in New York because I couldn't find anyone to help us in Florida. He said it was clear she had PCOS and finally we started getting some help.

How is your daughter doing?
hi there mom,
she is doing much better now. i was like you the questioning mother, about some hair issues, and i seen some under her chin and asked the pediatrician and she said nothing seemed abnormal? huh. and then i started to notice her hair seemed to be getting thinner . (I am a hairdresser) so i notice stuff easiliy. so i proceeded to look up thinning hair on webmd, and some how stimbled upon the PCOS, and wow, she had alot of the simptoms, skipped periods, none last summer, some lip hair, under chin hair and lower back hair, i finally demanded blood work, upon crying a bit due to i knew the outcome and everything was great except one bloodtest and which we needed an ultra sound and that showed cysics in her ovary. so we were refered to a pediatric endo and she prescribed metformin er/yasmin. we have had really no trouble with either thank goodness, i cut her back from 2000 met to 1000, b/c of her sweating at night and unable to sleep, which i called her endo and that was fine.( wether that is related don't know but it has worked) i felt like she wasn't handiling it well that high of a dosage. we slowly went from 500 to gradual so she didn't ahve any problems stomach wise. I can't tell about her hair on her head yet, but she says not as much is coming out, and it is hard to tell if it was part of puberty with her hair, on her head because she had a ton and it was a slow thing. but it is looking better and as far as the face under chin hair and lip we wax it. and it seems to have not grown back . i pray all the time about this. but i feel like there is a genetic thing b/c i had a few issues as i was a teen irregular periods and the dr said just give her the pill and my mom was like ahhh no. but i went on them at 18 to just have a period and be regular and my symptoms dimisnhed.and this was a long time ago. i too was told i may never have children due to my periods and well i have a 13 yr old and 6 yr old(surprise baby) hahah. but our endo has said we caught this early, as of right now she isn't IR , so this is a precaution, and i am glad she is getting help. i have since helped alot of others by being vocal about this and they too are getting help. i prqay all the time for others with this. thanks so much for asking. hopefully all with your daughter is well too.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

I can't believe that endo!!! It's their JOB to sort out endocrine issues, including hormones!!! GRRRR!!!!

IR can be very difficult to diagnose, and you don't have to be overweight to have it (although many of us are). Case-in-point: When I was 15/16 I was very active and in great shape, but I was still prone to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar due to Insulin Resistance), and had symptoms of PCOS - especially AWFUL periods! It took a few more years, but then some stuff happened in my life which triggered the full IR, and I started gaining weight and my periods started to become irregular. At that point, my b/f at the time and I weren't really using much in the way of protection, but it took 4 years before I had my son. Even after the IR showed up symptoms-wise, I still show as "normal" on the blood work! Fortunately, I've got a GREAT endo who was able to "read between the lines" and picked up on everything.

Even if you are one of the true Thin Cysters, Metformin can still help as it still has an effect on excess testosterone. Here's a link: http://www.jarrettfertility.com/PCOS...%20handout.pdf

Take care, and HTH!!! Make sure you read the FAQ's sticky, too. It has a TON of information about PCOS and things you can do about it.
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
taysmom

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine72 View Post
I can't believe that endo!!! It's their JOB to sort out endocrine issues, including hormones!!! GRRRR!!!!

IR can be very difficult to diagnose, and you don't have to be overweight to have it (although many of us are). Case-in-point: When I was 15/16 I was very active and in great shape, but I was still prone to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar due to Insulin Resistance), and had symptoms of PCOS - especially AWFUL periods! It took a few more years, but then some stuff happened in my life which triggered the full IR, and I started gaining weight and my periods started to become irregular. At that point, my b/f at the time and I weren't really using much in the way of protection, but it took 4 years before I had my son. Even after the IR showed up symptoms-wise, I still show as "normal" on the blood work! Fortunately, I've got a GREAT endo who was able to "read between the lines" and picked up on everything.

Even if you are one of the true Thin Cysters, Metformin can still help as it still has an effect on excess testosterone. Here's a link: http://www.jarrettfertility.com/PCOS...%20handout.pdf

Take care, and HTH!!! Make sure you read the FAQ's sticky, too. It has a TON of information about PCOS and things you can do about it.
hi sweetsunshine 72,
don't know if this is refered to me Taysmom but i fully understand, and i didn't wait with my daughter, it is possible that she is IR so we are treating this with met er/ and yasmin . as with her diet , ahhhh the life of a teen, her appitite seems to change each day. but i buy nuts , fruit, and healthy snacks it is hard b/c she is soooooo picky. and she takes a multivitamin as well. she used to eat alot of meat, but that too has changed. it goes day by day.
being that we have caught this early, will the hair issues diminish? the endo says it depends? i only can pray and hope it will.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

I was responding to Mary*, but I'm glad that you were so proactive, Taysmom!

With the hair issues, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that once your daughter's body has started to re-balance, then most of her symptoms will start to fade, many even disappearing. The bad news is that hair is not one that will usually disappear completely. Here's how it works:

Facial/body hair

All of us are born with vellus hair that looks like peach fuzz. It's light, fine, short, and nearly invisible. It covers every inch of our bodies that doesn't have longer hair, except for the palms of our hands and the soles of our feet. In some areas (face, stomach, back, etc.), there are receptors for androgens (specifically, a type of testosterone). If you have enough androgens in your body, it triggers the receptors and the hair "turns" into a terminal hair - which is longer, thicker, and (usually) darker, depending on genetics. Once a hair has "turned", it can never "turn back", although with a reduction of androgens, it can get lighter and thinner and less visible. Waxing is a good option (especially if you know how to do it properly so you don't damage the skin) because it damages the root of the hair each time you wax, and that makes it grow back slower and thinner over time.

Scalp Hair

With scalp hair, it's the growth cycle that's affected. Hair has 4 phases of growth. Growing, resting, shedding, and dormant (I can't remember the names off the top of my head, but that's basically it). In this case, when the receptors are triggered, they cause the hair to shed and then go dormant. This is mostly reversible, though, once the androgens are back the way they should be!

The other thing to keep in mind is that it's not always excess androgens in your body, but not enough estrogen to balance it out. That's why it's a good idea to get a full work-up by an endocrinologist (assuming he's not an a$$!).

Take care, and I hope this helps explain things!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dye hair, hair growth, hair loss, yasmin