PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #11
taysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine72 View Post
I was responding to Mary*, but I'm glad that you were so proactive, Taysmom!

With the hair issues, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that once your daughter's body has started to re-balance, then most of her symptoms will start to fade, many even disappearing. The bad news is that hair is not one that will usually disappear completely. Here's how it works:

Facial/body hair

All of us are born with vellus hair that looks like peach fuzz. It's light, fine, short, and nearly invisible. It covers every inch of our bodies that doesn't have longer hair, except for the palms of our hands and the soles of our feet. In some areas (face, stomach, back, etc.), there are receptors for androgens (specifically, a type of testosterone). If you have enough androgens in your body, it triggers the receptors and the hair "turns" into a terminal hair - which is longer, thicker, and (usually) darker, depending on genetics. Once a hair has "turned", it can never "turn back", although with a reduction of androgens, it can get lighter and thinner and less visible. Waxing is a good option (especially if you know how to do it properly so you don't damage the skin) because it damages the root of the hair each time you wax, and that makes it grow back slower and thinner over time.

Scalp Hair

With scalp hair, it's the growth cycle that's affected. Hair has 4 phases of growth. Growing, resting, shedding, and dormant (I can't remember the names off the top of my head, but that's basically it). In this case, when the receptors are triggered, they cause the hair to shed and then go dormant. This is mostly reversible, though, once the androgens are back the way they should be!

The other thing to keep in mind is that it's not always excess androgens in your body, but not enough estrogen to balance it out. That's why it's a good idea to get a full work-up by an endocrinologist (assuming he's not an a$$!).

Take care, and I hope this helps explain things!
thanks sweetsunshine72
we have a great ped.endo, and we are doing all the right stuff, the diet is a bit hard b/c teenager, not liking certain foods and all, but she loves fruit, some veggies, i have slowly moved her into wheat bread. so it is a turning point to be more healthier. as witht the waxing, it seemed to have helped alot. i just waxed her lip after 6weeks and it was hardly noticable, a waxed a bit under her chin/neck area but not alot, it seemes that the hair is less now, just after 3 months. also her lower back hair seems less,dark. she has abit on her stomach but do you know with in time will that diminish? and i uinderstand the cycle thing with hair, as i am a hairdresser, so if the receptors are blocked will the existiing hair seem to just fall out? like sheding on her body?such as stomach and lower back? i think i read somewhere it does but not for sure? it is hard to understand because we had no problems until last summer and she started to skip periods and then we have cysits in the left one , so it is unclear it seems that it could be lack of estrogen as well huh? well we are taking all precautions we go back in sept. so we'll see then. i want to say i have learned so much from this board and truly was a bit scared with all of this but the more i read the more i understand. thanks again. taysmom.
taysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 AM   #12
BabyJConfused

Send a message via AIM to BabyJConfused

one thing that I was able to help my hair loss with was Nioxin. It's a 3 part scalp treatment, cleanser/scalp therapy/scalp treatment... it actually stimulates hair growth and strengthens the hair that is still there making it feel thicker, stronger and fuller.

I started feeling a difference in my hair within a couple of weeks of continuous treatment and actually started seeing re-growth within a month.

The only thing about this though is that once you start you can't stop or it doesn't work and it's kind of expensive. You can find it at any beauty supply store or at beauty parlors.. if they don't have it there, they can refer you to some place.

This obviously isn't a cure to anything, but something to help in the meantime.

Last edited by BabyJConfused; 06-16-2009 at 01:34 AM.
BabyJConfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

The excess hair (including stomach and back) will probably lighten and thin, but will never turn back to being a vellus hair. I know that I've got some on my chin that I've had for a very long time, and they are not really noticeable anymore (except to me), so the same could happen for her. I don't think they will shed and never come back, though.

The best thing you can do is keep doing what you're doing!

As for the Nioxin - I believe meds like this work by absorbing directly through the skin and blocking the androgen receptors directly on the scalp. That's why if you stop using it, the hair will fall out again - unless you've dealt with the underlying hormonal imbalance in the meantime. If it works for you, though - GREAT!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #14
rajagiri2

apply a lot of natural oil
Old 06-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
taysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajagiri2 View Post
apply a lot of natural oil
for what and where? what kind? what does it do?
taysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #16
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Actually, I don't think that would work.

Taking Fish Oil, which includes Omega 3 essential fatty acids, CAN help, because it helps so many other areas, including proper cell development, but applying it topically wouldn't do anything. Oil MIGHT work in a hot oil treatment for damaged hair - but that doesn't have anything to do with why we lose hair on our scalp.

Applying oil on your chin, for instance, would not do anything for chin hair - it would just promote acne on your chin, unless it was Tea Tree Oil - which is a natural anti-fungal, anti-septic. It still wouldn't keep hair from growing.

If you know something I don't, then please share, Rajagiri. I'm always interested in new information!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 06-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #17
griff

Default thinning hair

I was diagnosed with PCOS approx 3 months ago. I went off BCP approx 6 months ago, but have only recently realized hair loss. My husband and I are planning to have children so I was hesitant to go back on BCP even after my Dr. mentioned that going back on the pill was the only way to stop my symptoms of PCOS (oily skin, blemishes, etc). Until recently the skin issues were my only problem. However, over the last few weeks I have really noticed my hair thinning and have become quite worried about it (it is more embarrassing and worrisome than the oily skin). Last week I decided to go back on BCP (Yasmin - I have been on Yasmin for years and have rave reviews).

Question for all - have you seen an improvement in hair growth and/or has your hari loss stopped once back on BCP?
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #18
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

I'm sorry to say - but your doctor is WRONG!!!

Now, using BCP WILL control the some of the more obvious symptoms, and is probably one of the quickest ways, BUT it is NOT the only way!!!

If you get the underlying Insulin Resistance under control, then your symptoms should start to fade - and your fertility should start to come back, too. Get a referral to an endocrinologist. PCOS is really a metabolic issue that happens to have gyno symptoms.

Because Yaz and Yasmin have a little anti-androgen in them, they lower your testosterone levels, which helps with the hair and acne issues. Be careful about being on BCP's long-term, though, as they can make IR worse over time.
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 06-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #19
cat_white13

Default hair...

I was diagnosed with PCOS recently and had been taking YAZ already for a few years. Even with being on the bc my testosterone levels were over twice what they should be. I really started noticing my hair loss about 6 months ago, so I don't think the YAZ really effected it one way or the other. However I've been on Metformin for about 1 1/2 - 2 months now and I've seen a huge difference in my hair loss. I'm not getting big chunks of hair coming out now. So hopefully in time it will start to grow back where it is really thin.

As far as dying hair...
I would suggest using natural instincts (semi-perm) if you are going to do it at home. A family friend who is a hair dresser suggested it to me when I was having hair issues. It was very gentle and didn't seem to make my hair fall out any more than it had been.

-katie
cat_white13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dye hair, hair growth, hair loss, yasmin