PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Teens

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

It is possible that he's using Clomid to trigger proper ovulation in order to trigger a true cycle (ovulation means a real period). It technically would work, but many women adapt to clomid pretty quickly, so they only have a limited number of times they can use it (less than 10), so that would mean that if/when you ARE looking to TTC, you may not respond to it anymore.

I also wouldn't expect the hypothyroid to just "disappear". You might be technically sub-clinical, though, which would mean that you have symptoms, but are technically just under the limit. This is common for PCOS, and we usually do respond to a low dose of thyroid med. If he's expecting you to be TTC, then he should also be concerned about your thyroid levels as they can seriously impact development of a fetus (it does NOT cause a molar pregnancy, though!!!). You might be able to use that info to help convince him - I'm not sure.

As for the IR symptoms - the thyroid could be causing them, it's not clear. You should be on at least one med or the other - the Met or the Synthroid - if not both. I would push for an endo to see you, but try to get at least the Met in the meantime. There's a position paper at the end of the FAQ's sticky from the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and it specifically recommends Metformin as the therapy of choice for PCOS, and at a minimum of 1,500 mg/day (although you do have to work up gradually to it to avoid digestive upset). Print it off and show it to him.

It sounds like you're going to have to fight, but it also sounds like you're ready for one! Eye of the tiger, girl!!! Rrroar!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:37 AM   #12
MyJourney

Default fighter

Thank you again. It's nice to come to a place where there is a wealth of knowledge and experience. I will keep you updated. This site and the women on it have inspired me to get serious about treatment. I fell into a pretty deep depression after the molar and all the weight gain and exhaustion. Knowing that there are other women out there with the same experiences and struggles really motivates me to keep going.
MyJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
Maria21

Send a message via Yahoo to Maria21
Default So about weight loss

I know that weight loss is a major thing when it comes to helping PCOS. But how do I do it? How do you all keep your temptations under control? Please e-mail me with any help or to just talk, thanks! muffin_stealer_me@yahoo.com
Maria21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #14
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Hi Maria, and welcome to the boards!

The biggest thing about weight loss is that you are not "going on a diet", but making long-lasting healthier choices about your lifestyle. That includes allowing yourself (only once in a while, mind you) to have the things that you really crave. Many of those cravings are part of the blood sugar/insulin imbalances that almost all of us have, so eating to keep your blood sugar even helps that a LOT!!!! That means focusing on high-fibre veggies and some low-fat protein, eating every 2 - 3 hours, and staying away from pre-cooked and processed foods as much as possible.

I also find that www.sparkpeople.com is a GREAT site that has all kinds of tools that can help, from a nutrition and exercise tracker, to a whole sister site with recipes (with nutrients broken down), to support teams, etc. Best of all, it's all FREE!!! Their Quick-Start program is good, too, because it helps you ease into things (which helps you stick to things long-term rather than just quitting after a few weeks). You can follow any plan that you want, and just use the tools, or it can give you nutrient ranges and a suggested meal plan. I personally find their carbs are a bit high, so I always switch it so that their low end becomes my high end. I also find that their meal plans have a bit too much processed carbs in them, so I switch that up, too. It's totally customizable.

Anyways, HTH!!! You might also want to post on the Diet and Exercise board.

Take care!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 06-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
PCOSFAMILY

Cool PCOS Pain

There is some great information here. Thanks for the great stuff. My daughter (19 years old) was diagnosed this weekend. The diagnosis explains sooo many things. It's almost a relief to know what's going on with her. The one thing I'm not finding any information on is the pain and how long it can go on. She has been to the emergency room twice in two days. Vomiting, diarrhea, extreme lower right abdominal and back pain. I thought when she started vomiting the horrid green bile that maybe the cyst had ruptured but the pain is persisting. Is this a pretty normal symptom, and if so how long can we expect it to go on. She is on pain and nausea medication.
PCOSFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #16
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

If she is getting symptoms that extreme, I'm surprised they sent her home!

That actually sounds more like appendicitis rather than a cyst! Did they do an ultrasound at the ER to confirm? Even if it is "just a cyst", they should still do an ultrasound to check if it might have twisted, which can cut off blood supply to the cyst, the ovary, or the fallopian tube. That's usually what causes the extreme pain - the twisting.

Remember, too, that PCOS cysts are really mini-cysts and don't usually cause physical problems. It's the large cysts (the ones everyone thinks about when they say "cyst") that cause issues, and women with PCOS get them at the same rate as the general public, and they have NOTHING to do with PCOS!

I would take her back to the ER, and don't let them send her home until they do something!!! At the very least, she should be on an IV to keep her fluids up and avoid dehydration!!!

Hang in there! The reason you haven't found much on the pain is that it's not normal, even for us! Good luck!!! (((HUGS)))
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 06-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #17
PCOSFAMILY

They did a CAT scan for appendicitis and found the cyst, then did the ultrasound. It is a very large cyst, and has been very painful. We thought it might have ruptured the second time she had to go to the ER because she was vomiting the nasty green bile. But they said when it ruptures it is intense pain but doesn't last long, which was not the case.

I feel like this is not the first episode she has had like this (although it is definitely the worst episode). After several unsuccessful trips to various doctors we had written it off to anxiety. The PCOS diagnosis explains so many things that we are actually thrilled to finally know something, but is there anyone out there who has this pain?

She has a new gynecologist that is really great, so I'm hoping that he can give us some answers. After reading your response I have to wonder if there might be another issue.

Please let me know if you have any other thoughts or suggestions.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #18
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

The large cyst and PCOS are unrelated - although there are other women on the boards here who are prone to getting the large cysts, too, and they CAN be VERY painful! It doesn't seem to happen any more often in PCOS women than the average population, though.

The main thing to watch for (especially with this pain) is that the cyst does not twist around. If it does this, it can twist around itself, the ovary, or the fallopian tube, literally strangling it. Sometimes large cysts need to be surgically removed. I'm not usually a fan of suggesting surgery, but sometimes it is necessary. I would follow up closely with the new gyno and keep a close eye on your daughter to make sure she stays hydrated and her electrolytes stay good. This is one time when Gatoraide is a good thing as it has electrolytes in it, and she will need the sugar for energy.

Hang in there!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 06-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #19
PCOSFAMILY

The gyno said pretty much the same thing. He has her scheduled for some other testing, although he is still checking on the PCOS and IR since they explain so many other symptoms. He's also checking the colon. Very thorough guy, so hopefully we will come up with something. He did tell her she might just go ahead and try the cinnamon supplements. Any comments?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #20
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Start with no more than 500 mg/day and give it a good month before deciding if you need to increase it or not. If you do increase it, don't go any higher than 1,000 mg/day total. Also, make sure that it's either just powdered Cinnamon or a water soluble extract - NOT the oil by itself! The oil is difficult to get rid of from your body, and doesn't have the IR-resolving properties that you want. Remember to take it with food, too.

Speaking of food - also make sure that she starts following the basic diet guidelines for PCOS/IR (well, at least as much as she's able to right now). At the very least, she should be consuming small amounts frequently. Oh, and the Cinnamon can burn if it comes up, so if she's vomiting, she may want to wait until that's all done. It is supposed to help soothe the digestive system, though.

Sounds like you may have a good doc, there! I hope everything gets resolved very soon!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP