PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Partners

Notices

Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

It sounds like you have found a GREAT doc!!!! Even though he's not putting her on Met right away, it sounds like he's not ignoring the issue, either, just giving a gentler approach a chance first, which is a good thing!

It's great that your daughter is eager to be so involved - if your family can manage a puppy, then I personally think it would be a good reward for her, a good motivator, and a good way to teach her responsibility - but that's just me! lol

I think it's not just the caloric overload, but all of the processed foods and exposure to toxins in our food and environment that do the most damage. I forget the details, but I heard somewhere that in a country that experienced a disaster, when relief food came from North America, even though it was the same type of food that the people had already been eating, they all of a sudden started getting diabetes and other ailments that they hadn't before - and it was traced back to additives, hormones, toxins, etc. found in our food. (I wish I could remember the details!!!) I also think our lifestyle here (most of us sit at a desk all day or have a very sedentary occupation) is a HUGE culprit! I firmly believe that (especially if we have IR, diabetes or other metabolic disorder) we need to take a good look at our lifestyle and make a significant change to it! For me, it was making the decision to go back to school to become a Registered Massage Therapist (18 mth program here in Canada). One 90-minute massage burns over 550 calories! That's over half of what I need to burn in a week!!! Next semester, I will be doing 4 90-minute massages in a week! Whoo hoo!!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #12
nikki101

hello. i was also diagnosed with pcos at age 13, but i was just recently diagnosed with ir at age 15. i was reading this thread, and the puppy sounds like a great idea! we got one two years ago, and he has kept me on my feet! the exercise and diet is also a good idea, especially if she is overweight. if you have a ymca in your area, i would tell her to go there. they had a trainer walk me through everything, and now if i need to target something, i know exactly what to do. if she ever wants to pm me for anything, since the teen section on here isn't really active, tell her to. i'd be more than happy to talk to her, since i am now a little older and understand everything a little more, and i could see it from a teen's point of view.

nikki101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #13
leelamalur

Thumbs up

Hey Sweet Sunshine 72 and Nikki 101. Great to hear from both of you. Nikki I will show your post to my daughter, but worried that she will harass me to get a dog Y'see we work too hard and have little time for a dog and she has major exams coming up. Nevertheless, I will show her this post.

She seems to have taken her condition seriously, runs - short runs 4 days a week. Trying to get her into swim lessons but she is worried that she will get teased as she has been before because of her weight. All kids here seem to be so skinny

The endocrinologist has also referred her to a medical dietician on our request as we dont want to give her foods that will have a negative effect on her.

There are no YMCA's here, Nikki. We live in rural coastal England- cold and damp - cant even go for a run when we want to. The nearest Gym is half an hour away. A real pain that we have to drive ebverywhere.

Sweet sunshine, you are so right about toxins and harmones. I know this myself, when I moved to the West from India, my body went into shock and I got ill so often. Till then I had not been ill at all apart from the occassional colds. I now avoid all processed food - and even it tires me i rustle up a simple chickpea, mushroom, aubergine salad with a dash of chilli, ginger, lemon and coriander. It does the trick.

Let me know if you folks would like some recipes . I have a good one, for IR my mum ate this often- lentil dumplings with lentil sauce. Yummy.

Gosh! I am using this forum more than my daughter. But hey, a mother's pain for a child in distress is something a lot of you would understand

Thanks again for your support.

Anyway, Apha Lipolic Acid, Flax seed oil, Vit B - am going to start her on Chromium soon
leelamalur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
leelamalur

Hello,
thank you for replying to my mum's thread.(leelamalur)
my username is = -delightful-dhyana- and i will post on some threads. I will hopefully keep in touch with you but first i must receive my registration confirmation email. Thank you for your support.

xx
Old 09-15-2008, 06:57 AM   #15
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Welcome Delightful Dhyana!!!!

I know this is a lot to throw at you (being so young), but the great part is that you DID find out so young, so you have a better chance of getting things under control than if it got left until you were in your 20's and 30's (like most of us)!

You have got a GREAT Mum, too! You may not agree on everything (what teenager and her Mum does?), but she really does love you and wants to help you throught this however she can.

Take care, and whatever you need - you just let us know (even if it's just to vent)!

(((HUGS)))
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 09-15-2008, 12:44 PM   #16
leelamalur

Hello Sweetsunshine Thank you for the sweet words and support. I cant reply directly because i haven't recieved the activation email. Hopefully it will come in the next week or so.
I look forward to speaking to you on my new account.
Thank you

Love Delightful dhyana

xx ((((hug))))
Old 09-16-2008, 06:58 AM   #17
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Dhyana,

If you haven't gotten it, it's probably accidentally gone to the wrong email address or something. Usually they come within a few minutes as they're sent automatically.

Try re-registering with the same name, but double-check your email address before you submit it.

HTH!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 09-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #18
nikki101

Well, now I could see why you don't want to get her a dog. I would feel the same way. There are other ways she could lose the weight, though. When I was overweight, doing little things would help me. Like, I hated the tredmill and exercise bike we had, so I would try and find other things to do, such as crunches at night. I would also do things like leg lifts, and other things. If she would be interested in doing something like I did, let me know, and I could give her a list of what I used to do and how much. If you want her to get cardio in, running up and down stairs is a good way if it's too cold to go for a run or something. Even if she just starts out at three times, she will increase it weekly or however often she chooses. I used to do that a lot, too.

Delightful-dhyana, if you read this, then hi! haha. Like I told your mom, I am also a teen with PCOS (15 years old, going to be 16 this November), and if you ever want to PM me for anything, I'd be glad to help you out in anyway I could!

nikki101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #19
xx_sheena_xx

wish my mum was as as suportive as u.
when i found out she said 'who cares ur 17 u dont want a baby'
i dont even no how to talk to her bout it
Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #20
taysmom

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelamalur View Post
Hello all

we finally got to see the Endocrinologist at the hospital. He was open , did some basic checks and has requested blood tests. When I pointed out the Acanthosis under my daughters underarms, he said that a IR test would be unnecessary as it is visibly positive that she is IR.

He has referred us to a dietician and suggested a flexible exercise regime. My daughter was interested, asked questions and even tried to get the doctor to pursuade us to buy a dog, just so she could get fit Wily child!!!

Interesting thing is he said that there was an ongoing research on second generation Indians whose parents migrated to the West and the increasing incidence of PCOS among this group. I believe the the genetic make up is geared towards the indigenous diet of Indians but the endocrine system goes haywire with the calorie overload that comes from foods we eat here, in the West. If I can get hold of this research I will pass it on.

So it is suggested that Metformin for weight, IR and hair growth control is an option but we try the natural way first.

So I will post on another thread as I get more information and try new diets and exercise.

Thanks all.
hi there , I too a mother to a daughter with pcos, she was diagnosed at 13 as well. i self diagnosed her due to some hair issues as well as missed periods. and we had blood work done as well as she takes metformin extended release/and birth control pills due to the cysts in her ovaries. we have an awesome ped.endroncronologist and she is great with her. I finally told her more in depth about this syndrome and that is can be reversed with diet and excersise. she is comfortable with it all. she likes knowing when she is goin gto get her period now too. the hair went away , and she is pretty much back to normal, we are just waiting for her hair on her head to come back a bit. but they told me it tkes time. we have been medicated since mar 09, and we have been at 2000 mg of metformin since nov. so we should be seeing a difference soon. she had the dark patches under arms and they too are lightening. I am sooooooooooo glad you seen more into this alot of dr's dont so anything and I am sure you persited. as i did. she's okay with this now and knows it 's going to get better , i am an advocate about this syndrome, and will talk to anyone who may be dealing with this. I am a hairdresser, so i first noticed her hair thinning , and then did some research, and well here we are. it will get better but not over night, it takes time and good luck if you need anything feel free to ask. take care . just make sure the metformin is the er formula. less on there stomachs and low dosages to be worked up to the amount your doc wants.
taysmom is offline   Reply With Quote