PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Moms

Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #21
minipie

Yep, I agree 100% with Queen!

You might be able to start getting him on a schedule now, but for us a schedule developed naturally around 4 months. I was convinced we'd never have one, but without forcing, we developed a pretty consistent routine at 4 months. At that time she was going to bed around 7pm, waking up for the day around 6:30 or 7:00am, having 3 naps a day (around 9am, 1pm, and 4:30pm), and regular meals (every 4 hours or so).

We sleep trained with success at night time at 3.5 months, day time naps at 4 months. I think it's pretty early compared to what other people do, but it worked for us.

Try reading "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". I'm sure about 1000 people have already said this, but with good reason. It is a very helpful book!

Queen, glad that Ginny is growing so well! Good luck with solids. Hope you find something to help her skin. And you definitely have my sympathy with the night time waking. Hope this is just a phase and she's over it soon. Hope you can get a few decent naps this weekend!

Not much going on with us, but one of our good friends is in the hospital right now having her baby! The hospital is right down the street from us, so I am just itching to get the call that he's here and we can go visit! I am so excited for her, but I am also worried I'm going to get baby fever when I go visit them. I've already been thinking way too much about baby #2 as it is.

Hope everyone's doing well!
Frederik born 2/19/2013

minipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #22
chelseaf
PCOStar!

Send a message via AIM to chelseaf

Queen, I totally missed that Ginny has eczema! I just wanted to share a lotion with you that has worked really well with Cora's skin. It's expensive, but if it keeps it at bay I pay for it. They only place I've found it is at BRU. The brand is Mustela and it's the moisturizing cream and I believe it says it's for eczema on the tube. The doctor always told us to use Eucerin, but it doesn't do much for us. I think each person is different in how they react to things though. And Cora's did improve a lot when switching to a non-dairy formula. Good luck!

Tiffany, Cora didn't really get on a schedule until 3-4 months either and it was more like a routine. I was never really eager for her to though and just kind of let her do whatever she wanted. She also had colic pretty bad so most days were spent swaddled and bounced. She was never consistent with how long her naps would be, so some days she'd have 4 naps and others she'd have 6! Things got more scheduled around 6 months.
TTC#1 since 11/07 - after many failed/canceled cycles BFP 10/24/09
TTC#2 10/11 - injections & TI BFP 11/05/11, ectopic 11/18/11 <3 Always in my heart
4/12 - injections & TI BFP 4/24/2012

chelseaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #23
QueenFroggie
PCOSuperStar!

I tried Eucerin starting in September, but that hasn't been working so the dr. told us to try CeraVe. It too is expensive....and also to switch to Dove Uncented for bath. ANd hydro-cortisone off and on as needed. Going to try that, and if it still doesn't work then try Soy formula next. Hoping the lotion and soap change does it! Thanks for the other lotion, I may look into it, if this one doesn't help (and to compare prices between the 2)
TTC #1 8/2004
Dx- 8/2006

BFP - June 21, 2007 -- angel baby June 25, 2007
BFP - July 25, 2007 blessed by God 3/27/08

TTC #2 8/2010 BFP -- November 24, 2010
Miracle #2 7/29/11

Check out my new blog: Experiences, & helpful information from a mom's perspective
Ideas about: Morning Sickness, Stretch marks, infants to preschooler, and many more tips
WOW Upside Down: www.wowupsidedown.com
QueenFroggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #24
Oreosmom

Ughhhh.....eczema! DH and I both have skin with "issues" so we knew we'd be in for it with these two, but I hate it. We've fluctuated back and forth on who has more problems going on, but currently Connor is the bad one. His whole torso and thighs feel like sand paper. When they were born I started with just regular baby wash/lotion, but quickly found that to be a problem. Since then we've used Aveeno moistuizing wash, creamy wash, eczema therapy lotion, cetaphil wash and lotion and nothing really seems to work. The best I've come up with so far is lathering his whole body in Aquaphor---he feels like a big grease ball, but it does seem to help some. When I tried the eczema therapy lotion on Connor the other day he broke out in a huge rash, I attached a pic. I won't be using that again. I feel so bad that I've passed on my horrible skin to the babies. I guess the only good thing about having really dry skin is that I never got acne. I seriously cake on the lotion and used to use tons of ointments when I was younger and it never did clog my pores. I totally feel your pain guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1108111458.jpg (101.0 KB, 19 views)
TTC #2 since 5/1/08
9/10 Repronex, Ovidrel, u/s, b/w, IUI and prog BFP 9/26/2010

Oreosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #25
sassycassie1984

A LOT of folks I know recommend California Baby Calendula lotion for eczema. It is sort of pricey. Target carries it.

AFU - 6 month appointment went well. Jude is 17 lbs and 26.5" He is in the 50th percentile for both
Synthroid since 09/2012

DS1: Jude 6/8/11
sassycassie1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #26
SunshineDust
PCOStar!

I highly recommend the California Baby Calendula lotion. It works like magic on Evie's eczema. For some reason Aquaphor makes her worse. Once I get the outbreaks under control, to try and prevent it I use Lubriderm Advanced Therapy lotion mixed with a little baby oil. And we also only bathe them once every few days in the winter and every other day in the summer.

Last winter I got desperate a few times and used Cortisone cream but it can thin their skin so our pedi told us to use it in extreme instances and not very often.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #27
chelseaf
PCOStar!

Send a message via AIM to chelseaf

Queen, The lotion at BRU is $19 I think. It's a pretty big tube and lasts us about a month I would say. They do have sales where if you buy two you get one free.

Oreo, That looks a lot like Cora's eczema. Poor guy! The dermatologist told us to not use any liquid soaps and to use Dove since it's not really like soap. Although, now I do use a liquid soap lol. It's also made by Mustela and it is a moisturizing cleanser that you can use for shampoo too. She gets eczema on her scalp so it really helps with that. How often do you bathe them? When Cora was that small I would only bathe her like twice a week to avoid drying her out.

We alternate a prescription steroid ointment and over the counter cortisone cream. I only use the script when her eczema is pretty bad.

Oh and another tip is to use free and clear laundry soap and no softener. I always thought dreft was gentle enough for babies, but it's pretty scented.

Sassy, it sounds like Jude is growing great!
TTC#1 since 11/07 - after many failed/canceled cycles BFP 10/24/09
TTC#2 10/11 - injections & TI BFP 11/05/11, ectopic 11/18/11 <3 Always in my heart
4/12 - injections & TI BFP 4/24/2012

chelseaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #28
QueenFroggie
PCOSuperStar!

I am going to try the unscented soap ( I had to use Dove when I was little too), and the new lotion the Pedi recommended, he did say I could put the hydro-cortisone on the bad inflamed spots, twice a day for 2 weeks, then to take 2-3 weeks off before doing it again if I needed to.

My skin is really dry and I have small spots of Excema too. But, I also had terrible acne, and still have adult acne now. it sucks!
TTC #1 8/2004
Dx- 8/2006

Miracle #2 7/29/11

Check out my new blog: Experiences, & helpful information from a mom's perspective
Ideas about: Morning Sickness, Stretch marks, infants to preschooler, and many more tips
Old 12-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #29
Oreosmom

Glad to hear all these tips I might have to start trying them. I only bathe the babies twice a week---to cut down on drying out their skin and for my sanity!!! When you're bathing two babies by the end someone is screaming because they get bored. Not to mention I'm exhausted and I feel like I'm about to pass out from being in a sauna for so long. I'm glad the babies won't remember any of this cause I usually strip down to my underoos or my t-shirt and underwear just so it's bearable.

In addition to the "dry skin" all over. The babies also have horrible redness under their necks from the skin being all folded up. I try to keep it as dry as possible, but it just gets so irritated. They also have redness and severely dry skin in the folds behind their knees (aquaphor takes care of that) and their scalps are scaly and dry. I've used dandruff shampoo on their scalps on and off since they were born, but it really hasn't helped and I hate doing it because I'm terrified I'll get it in their eyes. Especially now since Connor has decided whenever I wash his face to put his hands back behind his head in the water and then bring them up real fast so he splashes himself in the face and then he gets pissed about it.

If anyone else has any other tips for me, bring 'em on! I've gotta get a pen and paper to write all these names of things down so I'll remember them at the store.

Slightly different subject here, but for me personally I used all sorts of rx ointments for my eczema since I was like 10. I get it really bad on my face mostly around my eyes which sucks because it's difficult to hide. When I was a kid I got it really really bad on the inside of my elbows, but for some reason that went away. Anyways a few years ago DH went to the dermo and they told him to use Aveeno Calming Lotion for his rosacea. It didn't really work for him completely, but I've used it for my eczema (the face wash too) and since I started using it I haven't had to use any other ointments. Seriously it's been like a dream come true how well it's worked after years and years of me searching for the right product. Now I only have to contend with the occasional dry patch on my back from hot showers in the winter. The rest of my dry skin is just plain old run of the mill dry skin.

Okay sorry to go off on a tangent, but DH is shampooing the carpet and I can't move from this spot so I've got time to kill!
TTC #2 since 5/1/08
9/10 Repronex, Ovidrel, u/s, b/w, IUI and prog BFP 9/26/2010

Oreosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #30
QueenFroggie
PCOSuperStar!

Chelsea -- thanks for the info, bought the lotion I got today for 14.50 ($3 off on sale this week at CVS).

I also have only bathed Ginny 1-2 times a week, but the info the Pedi gave me said to actually bathe more often (once a day up to 10 min) because the water gives moisture back and then you lotion within 3 min of getting out, that part I knew, and it helps hold the moisture in better.... Says, after a 10 min bath the skin is re-hydrated and you add the lotion it helps keep it in. I have to say I believe this, because the only time all day my hands don't hurt is when I am in the warm shower in the morning.

Also, I have always heard that bar soaps are bad for sensitive skin because it leaves a coating on it.

Oreo -- on the folds. Gold Bond powder!! Dry their neck as best you can, then put a little gold bond (the original, nothing special) on it, and it works way better. Also recommended by the Pedi.

Also, using the dandruff shampoos isn't good for Eczema, but pedi said it can help sometimes with Cradle Cap (no more than 1-2 times a week, and let it sit for a few min. before washing out. ) However, he did say that if you put a little baby oil on their heads for about an hour before bath, then wash it off (be sure to wash it off or it will make it worse) then it softens up the dry scales so they come off easier with a little scrubbing in the bath.
TTC #1 8/2004
Dx- 8/2006

Miracle #2 7/29/11