PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > 40+ Forum

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
just jane

Unhappy Hair loss

Hi ,

I am new to this forum but have lived with PCOS for many years. I had three miscarriages and a great deal of emotional turmoil. I went on to adopt two terrific kids who are now 13 and 11. Being in the 40 plus group I am now dealing with rapid hairloss. I so thought I had dealt with the worst of these symptoms and find myself very emotional about this latest one. I have type 2 diabetes, a round waist but am not overweight by more than 5 pounds on meds for both high blood pressure and high cholestorol.I am physically active, used to even run marathons...till a knee injury. I know there are so many health issues in the world that it is vain to worry about hair....but femininity is so connected to hair, on the head, not the face....have battled that one with lasers, I feel so ugly.
I am unfamiliar with the world of wigs and don't know if I should go there. Will it ruin what thinning hair I have left? Are they comfortable enough to wear daily? Will it be noticeable? Or should I just accept things as I always have a find a way to seek beauty in less hair?
Anyone have thoughts or advice?
just jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
JessicaH
PCOStar!

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through - I know it's very upsetting. I can offer a little bit of insight to wigs. My 17 year old sister has alopecia and lost her hair in 7th grade.

Will it be noticeable? As long as you have authentic hair, it shouldn't be noticeable. There are, however, limitations on styling to keep it that way.

Will it ruin what thinning hair I have left? I only know about my sister's experience, but it didn't for her. In fact, once in a while she has some sporadic regrowth and the wig doesn't affect it at all. In order to have a good wig that stays on though, what hair you do have will have to be kept extremely short.

Are they comfortable to wear daily? A high quality wig will be made to fit your head. My sister took a mold of her head and the wig was made from that. She's worn wigs every day for years now and doesn't complain and although her head does sweat more, she's used to it now and its worth it to her.

Or should I just accept things as I always have and find a way to seek beauty in less hair? This is purely a personal decision. It took my sister about a year to decide she wanted wigs. It was scary and she wasn't used to it but I think it was the best thing she could have done. I don't know how severe your hair loss is or quite how much it's affecting you, but you should be able to feel happy and confident. Once my sister made her decision, her face lit up again.

I don't think it's vain at all for you to worry about your hair. Yes, there are so many health issues in this world and yes, some are worse, but this is afflicting you. This is your trial now and you should have the freedom to feel how you want and deal with it how you want. You should be able to feel happy and confident and beautiful. Whether you decide to choose wigs or seek beauty in less hair, you should feel good about yourself and your decision.
Angel Baby 12/17/08 (clomid 150mg)
Angel Baby 3/8/11 (femara 2.5 mg)
*Annalise 1/23/12 (adopted 2/6/12)

TTC #1 8/05 - 9/06
TTC #2 10/07 - 2/12

JessicaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
just jane

Default hairloss

Thanks so much for your thoughtful input. I guess it will take time to come to a decision, although in the end I think I have my answer. I take strength from your words...thanks you.
just jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Hi JustJane, and welcome to the boards!

One thing that strikes me is the connection between PCOS and Insulin Resistance (which can then lead to T2DM). Is your doctor monitoring your insulin levels as well as your blood sugar levels? If your body is resistant to using insulin, then even if you are injecting it (or using meds to increase how much your body makes) to keep your blood sugars down, you can still end up with elevated levels in your body, and it's the extra insulin "floating around" that is a main trigger for most of the PCOS symptoms. This includes the extra androgens that cause the hair issues. That's where medications like Metformin come in - they help your body use insulin better. If you are not on Metformin already, then you can usually take it with other diabetes medications. In fact, it tends to help them work better. Met is pretty inexpensive, too. This would be something you would need to speak to your doctor about, of course, and you may very well already be on it. Excess insulin is also connected to high blood pressure and cholesterol levels, too.

Another option is to ask your doctor about medications that lower your androgen levels directly, like Spironolactone. Spiro is also a diuretic, so it can also help with blood pressure, too. One thing you have to absolutely make sure of, though, is that you don't get pregnant with Spiro (or other anti-androgen meds) as it can do nasty things to a male fetus!!! I don't mean to be insensitive about your fertility struggles. There are women who have tried for most of their lives to get pregnant, given up, and then down the road spontaneously ovulated and gotten pregnant by surprise! There also seems to be an increase in fertility with PCOS women as they approach "the change", too, so it's best to be safe. Anyways, the point about androgen levels is that, if they're too high, it can trigger both facial/body hair as well as scalp hair loss. Facial hair will never go away completely after androgen levels are back down again, but scalp hair CAN regrow!!! It's worth a shot, anyhow!

As for the rest - it really is about what feels right for you. Some women are able to simply style their hair so it still looks attractive and you can't notice that it's thin, others aren't so lucky. You do what you feel you need to. My grandmother wore a wig daily for years. She still had hair, though - she just didn't want to admit to it being white! lol She had my mother when she was 42 (my mother was an only child - my grandmother didn't even think she could have children), and really felt the age difference. I used to help her make 2 braids - one on each side of her head with a ribbon threaded through them, then she'd use the ribbon to lift the braids up and tie them on top of her head so they'd fit under the wig. She'd insert a couple of bobby pins, and she'd be ready for the day!

Anyways, take care, and I hope this helps!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:35 AM   #5
micklejohn

Here some of my tips for reducing hair fall:

10 tips for reducing hair fall

Some of these tips are listed below:

1) Role of Diet

A nutritious diet, which contains all essential vitamins and minerals, helps in minimizing the hair loss. Therefore, you must include green, leafy vegetables, raw oats, and whole grain cereals, eggs, dates, and raisins in your daily food regime. As the hair is made of protein, you are advised to stick to protein-rich diet, such as calves liver, brewer's yeast, and wheat germ. These foods also contain Vitamin B, which is an important nutrient for hair. Outer coverings of potatoes, cucumbers, and green and red peppers are high in silica, which is essential to maintain the beauty and strength of your hair. Vitamin E also promotes hair growth and reduces hair fall. A person may experience hair fall due to thyroid dysfunction also. Therefore, you must include foods, which are good sources of vitamin A and iodine.

2) Washing routine

Your hair cleansing routine largely depends on your hair-type. People having oily hair may need to wash their hair regularly, while people having dry hair can wash it twice a week. Never use too hot or too cold water to wash your hair. While cleaning or massaging your hair, you should always use your fingertips and not your nails to gently clean your scalp.

3) Proper combing

You should use a wide-tooth comb to untangle your hair and comb in downward direction. Using a wooden or tortoise shell comb is a better idea than using a rubber comb. Avoid combing wet hair, as wet hair can easily break.

4) Drying your hair

If possible, allow your hair to dry naturally. Avoid using blow dryer as its heat can damage your hair, and also make it look coarse and lifeless.

5) Using proper conditioner

Protect your hair from sudden environmental changes, while going out to a beach or a pool. You must use an effective conditioner as it protects your hair from the sun, chlorine, and sea water. You should also wear a protective hat or a cap to avoid overexposing your hair to the sun, salt or chlorinated water and pollution.

6) Use of shampoo and conditioner

Always choose a simple formula shampoo, which costs you less money. Remember, the basic purpose of a shampoo is to wash away the dirt and the oil. Therefore, use a milder shampoo, which is less expensive and more beneficial for your hair. Apply a good quality conditioner once you clean your hair with the shampoo, but do not over-condition your hair.

7) Choose a comfortable hair style

Choose a hair style that truly reflects your style and taste while significantly enhances your personality. Often traditional hair styling products are rich of alcohol and other harsh chemicals, which may again harm your hair.

8) Knowing your sleeping pattern helps control hair loss

Comb your hair gently while going to bed. You should also gently remove all bands or clips used during the day. Do you know that your sleeping pattern also affects the life and health of your hair? People who are restless even while they are sleeping may actually end up breaking their hair. So, if you belong to the restless community of sleepers, you should use s satin pillowcase, which allows your hair to move smoothly and thus cause less breakage.

9) Limit the use of alcohol and smoking products

Reduce alcohol consumption and also avoid using it on your hair. Avoid using hair care products that contain alcohol. This is because alcohol can make your hair look dry, brittle and prone to breakage.

10) Avoid using harsh chemicals
Old 08-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
maitlandpcos

I have lost about 80% of my hair during the last 7 years and NONE of it has grown back. I had so much hair I had to get it thinned all the time, now I am close to bald. I was just diagnosed w/PCOS and starting Metformin this week. The doctor said my hair should grow back a little and I will finally lose weight. I am 5'4" 210 lbs and have worked out 3-5x weekly for 16 months, only lost 5 lbs. I am an EXTREMELY healthy eater! My bloods are wonderful and my urine. He said this would help me lose weight. Has anyone taken Metformin and lost weight? Would love 2 know! Thanks... It is now 7 months since I started METFORMIN. I did NOT lose any weight, lost ALOT more hair to the point that I bought a wig and I have now gone off METFORMIN for good! And the post under mine is bull crap. I took Biotin, I mostly eat salads, sleep alot and took Vitamin A & B6 & B12 and nothing worked. About 2 hours after taking Metformin my hair came out in rolls, yes large huge rolls, now after being off Metformin, it doesn't come out like that anymore.

Last edited by maitlandpcos; 12-18-2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: New update
maitlandpcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
laurahill

Quote:
Originally Posted by micklejohn View Post
Here some of my tips for reducing hair fall:

10 tips for reducing hair fall

Some of these tips are listed below:

1) Role of Diet

A nutritious diet, which contains all essential vitamins and minerals, helps in minimizing the hair loss. Therefore, you must include green, leafy vegetables, raw oats, and whole grain cereals, eggs, dates, and raisins in your daily food regime. As the hair is made of protein, you are advised to stick to protein-rich diet, such as calves liver, brewer's yeast, and wheat germ. These foods also contain Vitamin B, which is an important nutrient for hair. Outer coverings of potatoes, cucumbers, and green and red peppers are high in silica, which is essential to maintain the beauty and strength of your hair. Vitamin E also promotes hair growth and reduces hair fall. A person may experience hair fall due to thyroid dysfunction also. Therefore, you must include foods, which are good sources of vitamin A and iodine.

2) Washing routine

Your hair cleansing routine largely depends on your hair-type. People having oily hair may need to wash their hair regularly, while people having dry hair can wash it twice a week. Never use too hot or too cold water to wash your hair. While cleaning or massaging your hair, you should always use your fingertips and not your nails to gently clean your scalp.

3) Proper combing

You should use a wide-tooth comb to untangle your hair and comb in downward direction. Using a wooden or tortoise shell comb is a better idea than using a rubber comb. Avoid combing wet hair, as wet hair can easily break.

4) Drying your hair

If possible, allow your hair to dry naturally. Avoid using blow dryer as its heat can damage your hair, and also make it look coarse and lifeless.

5) Using proper conditioner

Protect your hair from sudden environmental changes, while going out to a beach or a pool. You must use an effective conditioner as it protects your hair from the sun, chlorine, and sea water. You should also wear a protective hat or a cap to avoid overexposing your hair to the sun, salt or chlorinated water and pollution.

6) Use of shampoo and conditioner

Always choose a simple formula shampoo, which costs you less money. Remember, the basic purpose of a shampoo is to wash away the dirt and the oil. Therefore, use a milder shampoo, which is less expensive and more beneficial for your hair. Apply a good quality conditioner once you clean your hair with the shampoo, but do not over-condition your hair.

7) Choose a comfortable hair style

Choose a hair style that truly reflects your style and taste while significantly enhances your personality. Often traditional hair styling products are rich of alcohol and other harsh chemicals, which may again harm your hair.

8) Knowing your sleeping pattern helps control hair loss

Comb your hair gently while going to bed. You should also gently remove all bands or clips used during the day. Do you know that your sleeping pattern also affects the life and health of your hair? People who are restless even while they are sleeping may actually end up breaking their hair. So, if you belong to the restless community of sleepers, you should use s satin pillowcase, which allows your hair to move smoothly and thus cause less breakage.

9) Limit the use of alcohol and smoking products

Reduce alcohol consumption and also avoid using it on your hair. Avoid using hair care products that contain alcohol. This is because alcohol can make your hair look dry, brittle and prone to breakage.

10) Avoid using harsh chemicals
Hey,Thanks for sharing such helpful information.I think your tips helpful for reducing excessive hair fall.
laurahill is offline   Reply With Quote