PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #171
JLKell0728

Hey all....I am new here. I found this site because I am serious about getting my PCOS under control. This website has provided me with so much more information than my own doctor has. I was dx with PCOS about two years ago. I was told I had to be on BC and Metformin but no one explained the real reason why. Im in the medical profession and even the research I did wasnt clear.

I became depressed and hated the side effects from the metformin, so I wasnt consistently taking it. Well as of last week I am now. I am taking responsibility for it. Im gonna own PCOS and not let it own me. I have looked around on this site and I am stunned but all the information and support. So I joined.

Thank you for this. Im off to post. Hope to get to know you all better.

Jenna
JLKell0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #172
mom22as

I was diagnosed with PCOS after the birth of my first daughter, and recently I was recommended here by a friend. I have two beautiful little girls and two angels. We are considering starting ttc again soon. I'm glad to have a board like this where I know there will be supportive women who have gone through similiar situations.

Last edited by mom22as; 03-01-2010 at 03:30 PM.
mom22as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #173
crorling

Thanks for all of the information on IR and pcos. I was diagnosed a few years ago and need help from others that suffer with this!

Looking forward to chatting with others that can relate.

Carrie
crorling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #174
lisalaw2122

I am new to this site. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16, about 8 years ago. It most certainly has not been an easy road. Most recently I had gastric lapband surgery, as all of my physicians felt this was the best road to achieve weight loss. As we are all well aware it is a chicken and an egg kind of thing, where they do not even really know if weight is the cause or a symptom.
Anyway, I think I decided to join this site as I've met a wonderful man, and we've been talking about marriage and children, and I think I will need some support in the future for pregnancy purposes.
I did find the information above very helpful, and it's amazing to see strong women, who are dealing with the same "issues". It's a hard fight, and most people do not understand the emotional weight that goes along with knowing you are "abnormal".
Thank you.
lisalaw2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #175
mari

Default Article On Pcos

Hi all

I am writing an article on PCOS in a weekly newspaper in Malta. Apart from giving medical facts and so forth, I want to give the article a human touch. In Malta there are no communities of people with PCOS so I cannot turn there. If possible, I would like to ask of this community their experience when diagnosed, the difficulties with the condition and so forth. Of course, you will be kept anonymous or given a false name.

I would like your help in this because few people understand what it is really like to have our condition. I am also asking for your help because although I am a sufferer, the way Malta goes about treating and dealing with PCOS may be and I am sure is different from USA.

If possible for you to write about your experience about PCOS I would greatly appreciate it. Please do not indicate your personal details in any of your correspondence.

My email is mariaborgvella@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you so much
mari
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #176
Adarja

Smile Pretty new here, but it is too late for me

I am new to this site, and I glad I found it.

I now know that I've had PCOS all my life: I had all the symptoms: painful and extremely abundant periods, the hair on my chin, the weight gain, the thick neck, etc....I had all of these symptoms as early as the young age of 12-13, when I got my first periods.

However, back in the continent where I was growing up, you do not go to the Doctor for those things (lol). They are not seen as abnormal, so no one really goes to the Doctor for them, at least back then (in the 70s).

When I went to high school (a boarding school), I remember that I would get so sick when I get my periods (extreme pain, throwing up, and else), that I would be taken home where I was given pain killer, sometimes strong and hot dark coffee, to ease the horrible cramps I had. My periods would last 7 to 8 days, with big chunks of what I thought were coagulated blood...

Any way, that was....40 years ago. I am now 53, going on 54, menopausal for the last 4 years. I had 2 normal pregnancies in my youth (I was 23 years old) that ended up in miscarriages. Then I had an ectopic pregnancy ...20 years later, 3 years after an unsuccessful IVF attempt.

Thus I have no child, but the worse thing really is that no Doctor has ever thought about checking me for PCOS (wether in the continent where I grew up, or in The US were I've spent quite a number of years in Graduate school as well as as a professional).

My bear is growing almost as fast as a man's, and I am obese and have been all my life, with a BMI of 39. I did everything in order to loose weight, with little success.

I am finding all this out , just by myslef, through my own research efforts, because I am still struggling with my weight issue and my facial hair. I am so desperate that I am on the verge of opting for surgery to remove the fat from my stomach: gastric by-pass, omentum removal, liposuction, ...whatever can give me some self-esteem in this lifetime.

I am glad I discover this group. I've learned so much in so little time. I've read a bunch of testimonies and I am so happy for those who were successful in reverting their infertility, one of the worst effects of PCOS. As for me, I know that I will never be able to hold my own child in my arms, and feel a true woman. Unless I go for IVF, again, with someone else eggs. However, for that too, it is kind of too late, as my husband and soul mate of 26 years had just passed away, 5 months ago.

Thanks again for being there for so many people that are getting the help they need and can still use.

As for me, I will definitely seek that my Doctor put me on Metformin, after the required tests.
Adarja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #177
pearlpureheart

Thank you so much for this wonderful information. My teen is undergoing tests for PCOS and I needed this. The "too much male hormone" part was sort of freaking me out but now I understand more. No one would listen at first when I told them there was a pattern to her mood swings. I noticed her sensitivity to carbs in particular and kept begging for her to be tested. No one would listen and when one doctor finally did listen, my daughter's blood sugar levels seemed within normal range. I kept insisting until they finally tested her insulin levels.....BINGO! They are doing more tests but she has just started metformin and we have some peace in at last having a starting point. Great info here!
pearlpureheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #178
smurphy

I was just diagnosed today actually. My doctor doesn't know what all is wrong yet, whether I have endometriosis or type II diabetes or any of the other problems that are associated with PCOS. I am a 20 year old college student who isn't overweight, who went to her first ob/gyn visit and it has been chaos ever since for me. I am extremely worried about not being to get pregnant down the line. My boyfriend is being very supportive, but I don't think he gets it... I only have my boyfriend's best friend's wife to talk to currently. She has PCOS and has been trying to get pregnant for a while, with no luck. I am worried for myself and my future. I want to be a mom.... Breast Cancer runs in my family so my mom is worried about me get prolonged estrogen treatments (if I understand everything correctly) because it has been shown that prolonged estrogen leads to breast cancer. Also, my mom thinks that my grandma had PCOS, but wasn't diagnosed, because all of the signs were there. I go for more bloodwork tomorrow, and I am going to see if my doctor will recommend a great female endocrinologist for me. Please, if anyone has any great information, that would be great.
smurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #179
pearlpureheart

Help!!! Not sure how to post. My daughter is only 13 but the endocrinologist thinks we are dealing with PCOS. The insulin problem is extreme and the crashes/hormones turn her into a totally different kid. Just started metformin 3 days ago but only 500mg once a day. First 2 days seemed much better but today the moods were awful!!! How long will it take to stabilize the bs crashes? And will the hormones level off on the metformin? Worried about my kid, exhausted, and don't know if dosage is right? I think she needs higher dose but am worried that it would lower her bs too much? Not getting help from the docs. Any help greatly appreciated.
pearlpureheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #180
Seven

Default First post...

Wow, I have heard most of that information already, but there was a lot I didn't know yet. Thanks for having that flagged for us newbies!
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote