PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #261
Working Through
PCOStar!

Welcome all new comers. I really encourge you all to post your questions in "active" threads on the boards. If you have medication questions, look into the medication board, a fertility question, check out the fertility board, a weight loss question, we have a board for exercise and weightloss too!!! I only say this becuase soetimes us old timers get caughts up in these conversations that we prticpate in every day and forget to welcome you new comers. It would be a shame if you didn't get the support you needed. Hope you find your way around this site ok.
Our Adoption Journal: http://www.anderson-ent.com/helpinga...row/?page_id=6
Working Through is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #262
Sarabell

Smile Hi everyone

Hi everyone my name is Sara I am 27 years old, and yesterday I was diagnosed with PCOS and last week I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Needless to say this has been a little difficult to deal with , but I am so happy that I found this site so far everything that I have read has been really helpful!

Last edited by knutfugget; 03-23-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Sarabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #263
krissylea

Wonderful! I am soo happy to have found a website that can tell me more about myself! I was just "diagnosed" with PCOS a couple of weeks age. I say
"diagnosed" because the dr said that my blood tests were normal but I have every symptom except for the cysts, and that is only because I have not had an ultrasound done yet.
Thank you for your helpful information
Yaz
No AF in 6 months but hopefully soon!!!

krissylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #264
KateyD

Default Hello

My name is Kate and I was diagnosed with PCOS a month ago. I have had heavy long lasting (3mos +) periods for about 11 years and I am overweight. I was told years ago that my only option to handle my irregular periods were BCP which could cause heart issues due to my weight. I chose to just deal with/ignore the symptoms. Recently my dentist checked my BP and it was really high so I had to go to the Dr. My Dr. first diagnosed me with Thyroid issues and then on my second visit I "womaned" up and laid out all of my issues. His first thought was PCOS. I am on 1000 mg of Metformin (he didn't really warn me of the symptoms, THAT was embarrassing!) and Synthroid as well as Iron, Vit D, and Magnesium. After reading through the posts I didn't see many people who had long term bleeding issues.. is that a symptom of PCOS? I asked my doctor how to get a definitive diagnosis and he said we should wait 4 mos. and see how I do on the Metformin, don't know how that settles with me though. Anyways, it is cathartic to lay it all out!
KateyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #265
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

KateyD,

While many of us have missing or irregular periods, there are some of us who have the "never-ending" period, too.

Basically, in a normal period, when your body has built up the "nest" of tissue in the uterus, it releases an egg. The capsule that surrounded the egg starts producing progesterone. Progesterone helps ready the lining of the uterus for implantation of an embryo, but it only lasts for about 14 days. At that point, if the egg has been fertilized, then the embryo will start to produce it's own progesterone. If the egg has not become fertilized, then it's actually the drop-off of progesterone that triggers your period, and the whole cycle starts over again.

If you do not release an egg, then there is no build-up and sharp drop-off of progesterone, so a period may not be triggered. This can lead to a build-up of the lining. This lining becomes very thick and unstable, and starts falling off on it's own - seeming like a period. It can be light or heavy, continuous or on-again-off-again, or any combination of the above. Us Cysters also tend to have higher estrogen levels, too, which can lead to a thicker lining, as well.

As for the Metformin, try taking 500 mg (one pill) a day for a week or two, then increase it to the 1,000 mg/day. The side effects will be easier to manage that way, which means you will be more likely to actually take it. Also, foods that are higher in fat or processed carbs will be more likely to trigger the s/e, as does lettuce, for some strange reason.

The bottom line: PCOS is caused by a metabolic imbalance. You can cover up the symptoms (and risk having some major health issues like high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.), or you can tackle the underlying issue and help your body re-balance itself. The core of PCOS treatment is the lifestyle changes, along with Metformin if it's needed. Fish Oil is REALLY good at helping to lower blood pressure - and is good in SO many other ways for us, too!!! Just get a good brand.

I hope this helps explain a little about PCOS, and gives you a place to start. The most important thing about it: it CAN be managed, and you CAN lead a normal (just very healthy) life!!!

HTH!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #266
Bort

Default Question by a newbie

I was told I have PCOS just last Friday. They told me I have this just because I have multiple cysts on both ovaries. I am 36, have not had trouble getting pregnant (3 kids), no menstrual problems, and a "thincyster" (as I've read we are called). When I read on the main site that it is a myth that just b/c I have polycystic ovaries doesn't necessarily mean I have PCOS. Anyone have an opinion or similar experiences here?
My fasting glusose is 84 and my A1C is 4.9 so those are within normal limits. The only other weird problems I've had is tingly feet, some dizziness, and occasionally more hair loss than is typical.

I would really appreciate any responses that could shed more light on it for me.

Thanks~!
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #267
sweetabba90

Im not really sure if im even in the right place to ask this question but i was diagnosed with pcos about a yr ago and i was also diagnosed with endometriosis about a yr before that.. today I noticed a marble sized cyst like knot in my left labia and I was curious if the pcos could cause this?
sweetabba90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #268
beauty1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetabba90 View Post
Im not really sure if im even in the right place to ask this question but i was diagnosed with pcos about a yr ago and i was also diagnosed with endometriosis about a yr before that.. today I noticed a marble sized cyst like knot in my left labia and I was curious if the pcos could cause this?
I would definitly talk to a doctor to be certain of what it is. PCOS can cause skin lesions. I had boil/cyst like lesions on my back, shoulders, inner thighs and even on my labia. My doctor claims they do not know what causes these skin lesions in PCOS women. They believe the various fluctuations of hormones is what causes them. Particularly before a women enters her menstral cycle. Their treatment plan: Birth Control Pills. <-----Seems to be the doctors favorite drug to prescribe to women for everything! lol

A good suggestion would be to apply a warm compress to that area for 15 minutes at least three times a day. I also recommend a warm bath nightly with baking soda. Please be advised that sometimes these lesions tend to "re-appear". The only way to remove them completely is to have the doctor remove the "root".

Last edited by beauty1216; 05-31-2011 at 02:12 AM.
beauty1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 AM   #269
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauty1216 View Post
I would definitly talk to a doctor to be certain of what it is. PCOS can cause skin lesions. I had boil/cyst like lesions on my back, shoulders, inner thighs and even on my labia. My doctor claims they do not know what causes these skin lesions in PCOS women. They believe the various fluctuations of hormones is what causes them. Particularly before a women enters her menstral cycle. Their treatment plan: Birth Control Pills. <-----Seems to be the doctors favorite drug to prescribe to women for everything! lol

A good suggestion would be to apply a warm compress to that area for 15 minutes at least three times a day. I also recommend a warm bath nightly with baking soda. Please be advised that sometimes these lesions tend to "re-appear". The only way to remove them completely is to have the doctor remove the "root".
It's basically an infection of the sweat glands. They tend to get really big and sore, but if you keep squeezing it to "pop" it, it can form a channel through the skin, cause scar tissue, and be more prone to re-infection. Once the "head" comes through, you can GENTLY squeeze it, though. Just don't put much pressure on it. Ditto for care suggestions. You don't have to have the doc remove the "root", so long as there isn't a lot of scarring, or if it's not that big of a problem for you. They really don't know what causes them, but people with Diabetes and other metabolic issues (ie: PCOS!) tend to get them a lot more than other people. Oh, and to make you feel better - I had one once right above (ie: sitting on TOP of) my clit!!!!!! OUCH!!!! It eventually popped and went away, and I haven't had it come back since.

Hope this helps!!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #270
littledragon804
PCOStar!

this is a great starter thread! If you're new read through here. Also there is a thread just started 3/9/13 - for FAQ- on exercise and nutrition.
3 years of TTC, many IUI's, injections, chemical preg.
Feb/March 11 -IVF #1 -37 at ER 26 Fert. Severe OHSS, BFN, fragmentation/vacuules in most embies
May-FET #1 - Chem preg
Sep - IVF #2- Menopur, Gonal, Lupron, 19eggs, 9fert.
BFP 10/7 -Twin Boys! Born at 20 weeks, incompetent cervix

littledragon804 is offline   Reply With Quote