PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Moms

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #31
leeann38
PCOSuperStar!

Cuz - I REALLY think that is a personal decision. Ideally, a year is great because that's when they can have cow's milk. But, AAP says 2. Not everyone is comfortable nursing past 1, though. I really think though that when they are older like that, that they only nurse a few times a day, like maybe morning/night with a snack in the day sometime. Not every 4 hours like when they are babies. My *plan* is to nurse/pump until June when I am out of school. Zoey will be 10 months. Then I just plan to nurse her on demand until school starts back up at the end of August. She will be 1 August 1st. I am not going to be pumping regularly though once school lets out, because nursing is quicker and easier for us. Then, once school starts back up, I'll still nurse when I'm home until she decides to wean within reason. I don't see anything wrong with "term" or "extended" breastfeeding, but I really can't see myself nursing a 2, 3, 4 year old. I'm hoping we make it until about 18ish months, because that would get her through another cold/flu season with those extra immunities.

Kari - with my second, I was nursing her and she would nurse for long periods and I got frustrated and then decided to e-pump. That only lasted a month before it got REALLY OLD, REALLY FAST. So I quit and went to formula. I have always regretted it and wished I would have stuck it out with nursing through those tough early months. Zoey was my baby to make up for that, and I feel I definitely have. But knowing what I know now and how wonderful/easy nursing has gotten for Zoey and me, I wish even more that it would have worked out with the other 2! Just keep chugging along and you will overcome those obstacles!

leeann38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #32
CUZUCO
PCOStar!

Send a message via MSN to CUZUCO

Thanks leeann. I want to nurse her as long as possible, but itīs good to start to get an idea of how long it might be good to do it.
D&C to clear things out Met, FemGuard, B6, Saw Palmetto, vitamin E, diet & exersize.
Oct'11-IVF cycle!!! BFP!! IT'S A HEALTHY BABY!,
Weight loss-crucial for bfp's...
2 Surprise bfps, but mc @8w...WHY???

CUZUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #33
leeann38
PCOSuperStar!

Yeah. I frequently hear from a lot of people that don't know much about nursing that it's only important to do it until 6 months and I completely disagree with that. Some of my friends are surprised that I'm *still* nursing Zoey and she's only 8.5 months old! I'm like you and I'd like to do it for awhile still. My next goal is 12 months. My ultimate goal though is 18 months. Anything past 12 is just bonus points for me, though. haha! I got nervous this weekend and thought she was on a strike because I'd go to nurse her and she'd just bite me. She just did that on Saturday evening though. She was back to normal yesterday, thank goodness!! I'm not ready to be done yet! haha

leeann38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #34
CUZUCO
PCOStar!

leann-I agree with you that anything past 12 months is bonus points. I would like to nurse until 18 lbs, but I know that after 12 mo DH will start asking me why I'm still doing it. He has already made a few comments, like-after a yr. bm doesn't provide any nourishment.... Little does he know.
D&C to clear things out Met, FemGuard, B6, Saw Palmetto, vitamin E, diet & exersize.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #35
JE1014

cuz - the answer is you should nurse as long as you are both happy nursing. Before I had Anna, i asked my bff how long she planned to nurse her daughter. she said she didnt have an age or weight in mind, cuz those #s would just be random anyway. Nursing never stops providing nutrition, so you stop when it makes sense otherwise. As they age, it also becomes super easy and less frequent. Anna was exclusively bfed as an infant. At 1 year we were down to 3 times a day. At 13 months she dropped the mid day feeding. At 17 months she didnt want to nurse at night any more. At 19 months exactly, one morning we forgot to nurse in the am, the next day she nursed again and then the day after she never wanted to again. as much as i had dreaded the idea of stopping, it felt like it was totally her decision and i was comfortable with how we stopped. My husband was asking questions too towards the end, but i basically told him to keep his funny opinions to himself. No one but mom and baby have any say in when you stop. I dont know if I'll have the opportunity to nurse another baby, so i dont regret for a day going longer than some thought i should. If you are happy nursing - don't set 'end dates' - just go till your done. It seems like in a happy healthy nursing relationship it happens more naturally than you'd expect.

TTC since Jan 08
2 Clomid/IUI Cycles - BFNs
4 Gonal F/IUI Cycles = BFNs
Feb/March '10 - IVF #1 & acupuncture = BFP!!!
Anna Mae born 11/27/2010 - 7lbs, 11oz and perfect in every way!

TTC #2 - since 11/2012
2 FETs - BFN & Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #2 - May 2013

JE1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #36
Supergal

Just wanted to chime in that I'm still nursing LO at 15 months. I've introduced cows milk and she has 3 meals and lots of snacks but she was never one for the bottle so she isn't too keen about it when she knows Mom is around. Its a personal decision but I don't think there is anything wrong with nursing as long as you want. I also had people commenting when they realized I was nursing exclusively and acting as if I had no life because I nursed lol. It is so much easier than heating up milk and forcing her to drink it. She nurses morning, night before her nap and randomly when she feels like it. I know she'll outgrow it once she starts preschool so I'm not too concerned.

BFP#1 June 13, 2011 with Clomid 50mg, prog, 1500mg Met XR, Omega 3, B complex, Vit D, Materna, EPO Vit E/ Flax Seed Oil, Red Raspberry Leaf Tea
Beta 11dpo-39, 13dpo 99, 18 dpo 1129, 20dpo 2302...Adorable baby girl Mariana born Feb 20, 2012!

TTC # 2: Prenatal, Vit D, Bcomplex, Fe, Flax Seed Oil
My Ovulation Chart

Supergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #37
CUZUCO
PCOStar!

Thanks for the feedback. We've cut back to nursing 4-5 x a day. Good news is that AF finally decided to show. Now praying for a natural bfp. I can't believe that it's been practically a yr since LO made her appearance!

Old 01-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #38
dawndalebout

Send a message via AIM to dawndalebout Send a message via Yahoo to dawndalebout
Default Been a while..

Hey ladies, it's been a while since I've been on.. looking to get back involved in the community now that I have a bit more free time... question though, doesn't seem like it's very active in here? Is there another place/site/facebook page that everyone moved to or something??? Fill me in!! Side note- how's everyone doing??

Diagnosed with PCOS- 2007
2 Misscarriages- 2006 and 2009
01/03/2011- BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDD- September 14,2011
IT'S A GIRL!!!!!!!!
Kaydence Marie born 09/11/2011 @11:48am 8lbs 11oz 20in.
Pregnant again!! EDD- Jan 27 2013..
IT'S A BOY!!!!!!!!!!!

dawndalebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #39
chelseaf
PCOStar!

Send a message via AIM to chelseaf

Dawn, there is a FB site! I will send you a PM right now with the info
TTC#1 since 11/07 - after many failed/canceled cycles BFP 10/24/09
TTC#2 10/11 - injections & TI BFP 11/05/11, ectopic 11/18/11 <3 Always in my heart
4/12 - injections & TI BFP 4/24/2012

chelseaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #40
minipie

I miss the activity here! I hope all the 2013 babies are doing well. Can't believe my little guy will be one next month!
Frederik born 2/19/2013

minipie is offline   Reply With Quote