PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > Administrative Items > Discussion Board Rules

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
embolz

Default Vitamin D and Obesity

Hi Everyone!
I have had pcos for like 4 years now, but just recently decided to check my Vitamin D levels cause i have heard that can be a factor for obesity. I found out that it was at the lower end of the range, mine was 30 (and the range is 30-100. )anyways i was put on medication for 12 weeks to see if it has improved. has anyone heard of/had this and what did the doctors do?
embolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
akire929

my doctor told me that I was also Vitamin D deficient. I have to take 2,000mg of Vitamin D daily (I usually take both with dinner) and will have to have my levels checked again later this year. She did tell me that a lot more doctors are checking Vitamin D levels more than before. Not sure why though...
akire929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Indychic

I was told to start taking it over 6 months ago, but I was taking 5,000 iu a day, and I got tired of all the pills. Doc just put me on a weekly Vitamin D which I now take. I have talked to a couple of ladies who are deficient and its supposed to help with my energy and memory as well.
Indychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Basically, Vitamin D was thought to only relate to bone density and Rickets, and not much else. The recommended levels were only enough to stave off known disease, not the optimal levels for health, too. In a nutshell, it was basically ignored unless you had issues with your bones.

Now, a lot more research has come out about Vitamin D, and we are discovering that it is one of those vitamines that is a cornerstone of our overall health! We are also discovering that, especially with the advent of sunscreen, many of us have incredibly low levels.

Women To Women is a clinic that deals with helping women achieve proper hormone balance naturally. They have both "regular" doctors and naturopathic doctors, and combine both approaches. I have always found their information to be sound and reliable. I just wish they shipped to Canada!

Here's an article they have on Vitamin D: http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyn.../vitamind.aspx
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #5
ShaeH

Yep, I was just diagnosed with PCOS last week and also I was Vitamin D deficient, my number was lower though it was 22. I am on Vitamin D3 daily 2000 IU. My GP says they are checking a lot more often now because of all of the different problems that have been found from a dificiency.
~shae~
ShaeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Dhanna

Most people are Vit. D deficient. Taking a Vit D supplement is very advisable - as well as getting outside everyday - even on rainy days, we can absorb D from the sun.

http://www.naturalsolutionsmag.com/a...e-Be-Vitamin-D
Dhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
BelieverEM

Although I take huge amounts of Vitmain D, my total today was 13 (in the 30-100 range) and my D2 was too low to measure. My endocrinologist is putting me on a Rx of Vit. D2, which is not readily available in foods or supplements.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:17 AM   #8
LaniB

Another vitamin D deficient lol. My level came in at 27.

I was diagnosed with PCOS today. Luckily I had found a doctor who is very interested in each patient and does a lot of background tests to find out what is happening I went in to get a script and ended up having blood taken for about 20 different tests. I now know I am vit D deficient, have high cholesterol, insulin resistent and pcos.

LaniB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
rag31480

Send a message via Yahoo to rag31480
Default Vitamin D Defi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniB View Post
Another vitamin D deficient lol. My level came in at 27.

I was diagnosed with PCOS today. Luckily I had found a doctor who is very interested in each patient and does a lot of background tests to find out what is happening I went in to get a script and ended up having blood taken for about 20 different tests. I now know I am vit D deficient, have high cholesterol, insulin resistent and pcos.
I was diagnosed with Vit D Def last April when I was also diagnosed w/ PCOS. I started taking Vitamin D weekly for 12 weeks & my Vitamin D levels became normal again. I had blood work done in May & saw my doctor today & she said my blood work was great except I have High Cholestrol levels & she wants me to start taking Crestor. Recently I started using Smart Balance margarine & Smart Balance Cooking Spray. I didn't have bloodwork done today so I don't know if using these products has improved my cholestrol or not. I suggest talking to your doctor about starting a weekly regime of Vit D. It can get hard when you're taking several medications for PCOS related conditions or for PCOS related conditions and other medical conditions. If you take it once a week, it will be one less thing you have to worry about six other days of the week. I took mine in the morning. I also suggest start eating yougurt, if you don't already, that has Vitamin D in it. I eat Yoplait Low Fat Yogurt. It has 20% of your daily requirements of both Calcium and Vitamin D. If you're a milk drinker, which I am not, finding a milk product that has a influx amount of Vitamin D in it can help. Good luck with finding what works for you!
rag31480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #10
LaniB

Thanks Rag31480 thats some very helpful info there.

I'm still at the stage of trying to get everything sorted out so that was great.

LaniB is offline   Reply With Quote