PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Lifestyle - Diet and Exercise

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
Need2Lose

Exclamation Phentermine for weight loss? How about Metformin?

Hello to all,
I am new here. I am 25 years old and recently diagnosted with PCOS. My hormones have been all over the place and at one point I actually thought I was bipolar because the mood swings were so bad. In addition to that I went from 185 lbs to 262 lbs in 7 months. My doctor put me on Metformin and generic Yaz. I've ben on these for almost 2 days. Now my doctor is suggesting Phentermine ( Adipex ) as an appetite suppressant. I am all for it. But I want to know based on your experience if any of you have taken Phentermine. Have Metformin made you lose weight as well?
Need2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
disney

i have the same problem so i know exactly what you are going through.
i have a gret doctor from NGF Dr Kim Matthews who has put me on metformin
and i've been going really good though what symptoms do you have with your pcos?
disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
Need2Lose

Default What symptoms DONT I have ?

Every symptom in the book. Most importantly weight gain. How is Metformin working for you as far as weight lost? Have you reached your goals? And how long have you been taking it?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Darlin
Super Moderator
PCOStar!

I used Phentermine about 2 years ago and dropped about 35 pounds very quickly and was very happy. I did not have a lot of the jitters that I had heard about. However, it is not suggested that you take for more than 90 days at a time. You will not feel hungry so you will have to make yourself eat something.

It will drop the weight without exercise but I can speak from expirience that if you do not make a lifestyle change, do not expect the weight to stay off. After losing the 35 pounds I quickly gained it all back and then some after stopping the medication.

This time around in order to better my chances of getting pregnant my doc put me on Metformin 1000mg and ordered me to exercise and eat on more of a diabetic diet. I have lost 42 pounds and the exercise is helping to keep it off. I hope this helps.

Darlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
Need2Lose

Hey Darlin, How long did it take you to lose the 42 pounds and was it mostly due to the metformin? Since I have been taking Metformin I can't stay off the toilet!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
Darlin
Super Moderator
PCOStar!

I lost 35 pounds in about 90 days. I took about another month to lose the other 7. I think that it mostly had to do with a combination of things, Exercise, Metformin and Diet change. Met does play a big part though I think. I have been off of the Met since I got a BFP and have not gained or lost any weight for about the last 45 days. I am still doing the exercise and the diet though I have been a little more relaxed on the diet.

I am wishing you the best of luck on your journey, feel free to ask any questions or let me know if you need someone to talk to.

Darlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
mychem86

Hey there. I am also new to PCOS. I've always had the symptoms, but wasn't tested for it until about a week ago. My doctor told me that it was important to lose weight and she gave me phentermine to jump kick a diet and exercise plan. She suggested WeightWatchers, I'm starting my perscription today and hope it works.
mychem86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
PinkJellyfish

My weight issues are a combined force of PCOS and Hypothyroidism... since I've been on Metformin and Eltroxin combined; I've actually lost about 2 lbs and that's just 1 week!

Now I don't exercise because I'm a cashier and after working a day at walmart and being on my feet for 8 hours a day... I certainly do NOT feel like walking anywhere or doing anything else cause my feet hurt so bad... but I do know that changing over to a LOW GI diet you'll get results and fairly quickly; but honey; it seems like you're very concerned about the time; and I will tell you that ANY permanent weight loss will only be permanent if you TAKE THE TIME. If you're in for fast results it won't stay that way. You need to make permanent life style changes for YOU not for anyone else.

I've tried every weight loss thing in the book and I've found that only hard work; and determination has actually got me anywhere...

I've done the fasting (drinking water, meal replacements, and vitamins)
Weight watchers (Too much counting for a college girl to keep on top of)
Curves (Don't take into account Hypothyroidism of PCOS and made me feel like crap when I didnt keep up with the others)
Atkins (Dr took me off because it's dangerous for the brain)
Low GI Met & Eltroxin with working longer shifts, and parking far from where I'm going all the time seems to be workings more efficiently I can't say whether this time it will be great... but I'm 5'11 and I'm 320-330lbs... I won't weigh myself at this point but I can tell my clothes are fitting better; my seatbelt is on a little looser and I can sit closer to my steering wheel!

Take your time, let the metformin work for you and work with it; it really helps if you're not injecting your body with extra sugar!
PinkJellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
Hannah83

I can say from experience that Phen is a powerful drug...It is smiler to an amphetamine...Very smiler...One reason my doctor won't Rx me any Phen is because I have an Eating Disorder...(Binge Eating Disorder with Anorexic Tendencies EDNOS)...I also have aspergers syndrome (form of high functioning autism) and Self-Injure...I have found that any kind of stimulant makes me jittery and want to cut my arms up...Due to the weight gain and PCOS the cutting has become worse...I currently take ephedra as its still legal in my state...200mg of it daily is about 40mg of Phen...I would advise going at Phen with caution...
Hannah83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
darbelis12

Default I think.

You have to lose some weight it might help.

you can find cheap phentermine at: http://www.buyphenterminecheap.com/
phentermine side effects: http://www.buyphenterminecheap.com/side-effects.htm

Last edited by darbelis12; 10-19-2010 at 07:33 AM.
darbelis12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight loss