PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Fertility

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #21
praises1139
PCOSuperStar!

Hopingfor,

Did you ever consider trying Letrozole/Femara instead? I've heard that it might work better for thin women but I don't know if it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopingfor2011 View Post
I just wanted to chime in as I am also a thin cyster. 5'4 and 113lbs.

I have done 5 rounds of clomid and ovulated perfectly each time but sadly no bfp. Moving on to injectables and IUI next in Jan.

Let's hope 2011 is good to all of us.
Femara/Gonal-f/Estrace/Ganirelix/Ovidrel/Prog cycle #1: BFP! *twins*
prenatals, fish oil (contaminant free, with DHA/EPA)
HcG @15dpo-299, @18dpo-1,079; EDD 12/31; PTL @ 31wks
12-14-11 37w4d
praises1139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #22
nicole02

I'm a thin cyster with none of the usual presentations of PCOS. I've tried Clomid and went through that craziness two times from 50 mg to 100 mg. Then I was switched to a RE and a fertility clinic where they started Femara. I'd so much rather be on Femara. Only side effect I've had on it is hot flashes as opposed to the stomach upset, dizziness, nausea, sleeplessness, hot flashes, grumpiness, wanting to harm my DH for doing nothing but breathing... that Clomid created. I never had mature follicles on Clomid but with Femara I've had two eggs both rounds I've done with it. I go Wednesday to see if I have any for this cycle. If so I will do another HCG trigger shot and then timed BD and then the wait... the lovely wait. So long story short if your doc will let you do Femara go for it!!! I too have read somewhere that we thin cysters are more responsive to it. Hope that helps you!
Levothyroxin (Hypothyroid 8/10)

Non-responsive to Clomid (2 rounds)
Responsive to Femara just finished 5th round
HCG Trigger shot for each Femara round
IUI 3/23 - BFN
IUI 4/25 - Testing May 9th

nicole02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #23
hopefull

I'm a thin cyster too. We've been TTC for 6 months now. My OB put me on metformin, which caused me to loose weight, but I never ovulated. This month I self referred myself to an RE at a medical school hospital who does research on PCOS. He said he would have never started me on Met because I'm thin and it is highly unlikely that I'm IR. His practice is doing a research study comparing pregnancy rates of PCOS'ers treated with clomid vs. letrizole. So hopefully there will be some better data soon.
TTC #1 since 7/2010

9/2011 - Letrizole (5mg CD 3-7) + Ovadrel - Fingers crossed
4/2011-8/2011 - PPCOS Clinical Trial - No Luck
hopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #24
praises1139
PCOSuperStar!

Ok saw the RE today...going to try Femara + HcG trigger shot this month. He said if 3 cycles don't work, we will need to try something else but he sounded pretty confident that it would work.
So you have zero PCOS symptoms? What did they use to diagnose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole02 View Post
I'm a thin cyster with none of the usual presentations of PCOS. I've tried Clomid and went through that craziness two times from 50 mg to 100 mg. Then I was switched to a RE and a fertility clinic where they started Femara. I'd so much rather be on Femara. Only side effect I've had on it is hot flashes as opposed to the stomach upset, dizziness, nausea, sleeplessness, hot flashes, grumpiness, wanting to harm my DH for doing nothing but breathing... that Clomid created. I never had mature follicles on Clomid but with Femara I've had two eggs both rounds I've done with it. I go Wednesday to see if I have any for this cycle. If so I will do another HCG trigger shot and then timed BD and then the wait... the lovely wait. So long story short if your doc will let you do Femara go for it!!! I too have read somewhere that we thin cysters are more responsive to it. Hope that helps you!
12-14-11 37w4d
Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #25
praises1139
PCOSuperStar!

I asked about Metformin because I read that it has worked for thin women but my RE and acupuncturist both did not think it would be good for me. My RE told me about this study that was done and it's only a couple years old and he said it was well done compared to some other studies
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa063971

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefull View Post
I'm a thin cyster too. We've been TTC for 6 months now. My OB put me on metformin, which caused me to loose weight, but I never ovulated. This month I self referred myself to an RE at a medical school hospital who does research on PCOS. He said he would have never started me on Met because I'm thin and it is highly unlikely that I'm IR. His practice is doing a research study comparing pregnancy rates of PCOS'ers treated with clomid vs. letrizole. So hopefully there will be some better data soon.
12-14-11 37w4d
Old 01-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #26
nicole02

Quote:
Originally Posted by praises1139 View Post
Ok saw the RE today...going to try Femara + HcG trigger shot this month. He said if 3 cycles don't work, we will need to try something else but he sounded pretty confident that it would work.
So you have zero PCOS symptoms? What did they use to diagnose?
Your RE and my RE must be on the same page. I'm on my third cycle at the moment with only one follicle that's a little tiny but my two prior cycles gave me two eggs each time. I'm hoping one shows up while I wait for it to get bigger. I should have put in there that I have none of the outward signs of PCOS. I never started AF on my own, had to be put on the pill when I was in my teens. That was the first sign. Then when I got off BC about five years ago my sister (who has PCOS and all the outward signs) told me to go get tested because I hadn't started AF on my own. I do have the Pearls around my ovaries and such but none of the outward signs.

HCG trigger gives me a wicked headache... so take some tylenol before you get the shot. Hopefully you live in a cold climate... the hot flashes from Femara are my only side effect and compared to Clomid I'll take it! Good luck and keep me posted how it goes. I hope you don't get down to the last cycle like me... hopefully you only have to do this once!
Levothyroxin (Hypothyroid 8/10)

Non-responsive to Clomid (2 rounds)
Responsive to Femara just finished 5th round
HCG Trigger shot for each Femara round
IUI 3/23 - BFN
IUI 4/25 - Testing May 9th

nicole02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #27
Alwilki

Send a message via MSN to Alwilki

I'm a Thin PCOSer too but I do have the insulin resistance. If I don't watch my carbs and stop taking my Metformin, I gain weight. Right now I'm working to loose a few more pounds because before I was diagnosed, I gained 25 pounds in 3 months after going off Birth Control...and then shortly after I was diagnosed with PCOS. So for a while there, I was considered "Overweight" but only barely. I'm 5'6" and was at 160lbs at my heaviest. now I'm down to 145 but I want to get back to my 135 weight. But technically for my BMI, Im not overweight anymore. And all through my teenage years I was skinny to the point that people thought I was anorexic....I had trouble gaining weight. I Only wish that were still the case! lol
Alwilki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #28
praises1139
PCOSuperStar!

nicole,
wow, thanks for the heads up. i'm not looking forward to side effects.

i have polycystic ovaries and some outward signs. i did start AF on my own but had crazy PCOS symptoms during puberty (which of course were just blamed on puberty)

so your PCOS must be inherited then?
12-14-11 37w4d
Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #29
praises1139
PCOSuperStar!

P.S. nicole
(more questions)
why are you on metformin?

is your thyroid currently normalized?
12-14-11 37w4d
Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #30
karidpt
PCOSuperStar!

Send a message via Skype™ to karidpt

I have a fremara baby I had some dizziness with clomid so my RE switched me to fremara and it worked. I still O'ed late, and my CD12 u/s showed only a 9mm follie (the largest one was 12mm with clomid).....so they didn't think it was effective for me and told me to order injectibles and I did. But I guess that little 9mm follie grew and I ovulated later, because I have a 14 month old little girl! So just be prepared that your meds may be working, you may just O later too!

Sidenote: I have no outward signs of PCOS. I have the PCO and I am annovulatory as my 2 criteria. I am unsure as to my LH/FSH ration and my testosterone levels because the bw was done so long ago, but I do go back to the RE in a few days for TTC #2. But I have no acne, facial hair, dark patches, none of that.

I am on clomid now (obgyn prescribed it to get me to start AF bc prometrium didn't work) and am not having the dizziness this time, but I am taking it before I go to bed this time unlike last time. Hopefully my RE will put me back on the fremara when I see him since it worked last time, but things have changed a little so we shall see.
DS: 3/31/13 (my little heartbreaker)
DS2: 6/3/14 (mamas baby)

P.U.S.H. (Pray Until Something Happens)[/b][/size]
karidpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pcos, thin, ttc