PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
bschrum

Send a message via AIM to bschrum
Exclamation Reassurance Needed!

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a 21 year old college senior who, literally today, was diagnosed with PCOS. My mother has always had an idea that I've had PCOS for years; I have the obvious symptoms of irregular periods, sluggishness, weight gain, mood flux, and abnormal hair growth.

What made me more proactive for a diagnosis was my ridiculous anxiety. While I've been in college I've developed an extreme anxious and panicky state of mind (to the point where it sometimes debilitates me socially)
As the symptoms hit their height, my mother pushed my doctors to test me.

Finally I was tested this fall. I had an elevated testosterone level (I think the avg. is 80 and I got a 97? Not sure on what measurement scale that is...) and recently an ultrasound. I was confirmed to have polycystic ovaries. I am relieved to finally have a diagnosis and a plan of action, but.. here is where the fright comes in (and YES, this could be an anxiety issue.. but I know you ladies are knowledgable and helpful and can give me an objective point of view)

I know there is a scary mirroring of PCOS and Cushing's symptoms. After enlisting in Dr. Google (as I know a lot of us do!) I am slightly scared that MAYBE my symptoms are Cushing's. I know I have PCOS which speaks for a lot of the symptoms, but I feel like I could possibly have Cushings. I am getting an AM cortisol test tomorrow to confirm either way, (my doctor said not to worry and that I'm overreacting) but I want to know the likelihood of this? Malignant and benign tumors are something I HOPE I don't have to deal with.

My stomach muscles ache in the same spot often, I have a round face, and the hair problems. Cushings? Not Cushings? Crazy girl talking?

Any info. is helpful. Thanks for your understanding during this hectic process.

Brittany
bschrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
bowlerchick03

Default hmm

I am very interested in what your dr. says, and I hope you choose to share it with us.
I too have been diagnosed with PCOS, but I do have periods every month, but I do have a lot of anxiety. I of course, and I should not have went on and checked the Cushing's symptoms. I think I have them too, but I think it is very closely related to PCOS.
I believe your doctor is doing these tests to just check your ok, and I am sure whatever the outcome, you will be fine with the help of your Dr.
bowlerchick03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
bschrum

Cushing's is much rarer, and being diagnosed with PCOS is a hopeful sign that I (or we) probably don't have it. PCOS and Cushings aren't mutually exclusive, so it's not like if you have one you have the other. I'm just totally worried! Cushing's also has much more exaggerated symptoms.

I'm getting a cortisol test tomorrow so I'm sure that'll help. Your doc should know if you're "at risk" for it. I'll post results.

Brittany
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
snowboardcop

Ok so lets see where to start....
1. you are not alone - pcos as you can see by this board affects a lot of us women
2. I got diagnosed when I was in college too....kinda hard/frustrating esepcially when you start getting heavy and hairy and you have no clue why
3. When I diet, it really does help me...before I had insurance I went on South Beach Diet and this was the only thing that worked...even now, case and point I went off of it the last few months and have gained weight and had hair issues...so for New Years I started back up
4. MAKE SURE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR DOCTOR..AND THAT HE/SHE IS KNOWLEDGEABLE ..I just switched my very recently and he is doing a whole revamp of my meds.....
5. realize that people pay to be on the top of 'Dr. Googles" list so, though I do the same thing...don't listen to every diagnoses he gives

hope this helped a little
Took me off spironlactone (wasn't working) and put me on furosemide (my insurance currently wont cover it..they say they only cover it in men grrrr...)

No babies right now. We just have two big fur monsters...
Happy that when we are ready to have kids that there is this sight for help since my endo says "I am a text book case of pcos"
snowboardcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
bschrum

Thank you for the info and support ! My next step is deciding on my major diet changes.. I will definitely consider the South Beach Diet.

And I know.. Dr. Google... bane of my existence.

Brittany
Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
snowboardcop

No problem! Any questions - just message me..
Took me off spironlactone (wasn't working) and put me on furosemide (my insurance currently wont cover it..they say they only cover it in men grrrr...)

No babies right now. We just have two big fur monsters...
Happy that when we are ready to have kids that there is this sight for help since my endo says "I am a text book case of pcos"
snowboardcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
bschrum

To anyone who was interested on how the Cushing's things progressed, I am happy to say that my cortisol levels are (in the words of the doc) "perfect," so there's not much to worry about in that department!

All it took was a blood test (my cat scan was cancelled due to insurance, those jerks) so if anyone thinks they have any of the Cushing's symptoms, getting reassurance is the best move!

Brittany

Tags
cushings, newbie, reassurance, symptoms