PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Alternative Family Building

Notices

Old 03-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #11
tweety

I agree crystal that would have been a tough situation.

Punkin you are going to have those boys in no time.

Next week I call to get classes set up.

Last edited by knutfugget; 10-06-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
crystalandchad

Oh Punkin....that is awful! When my DH and I went to get ours done, I got so frustrated. They took me back first and it took forever to get a fingerprint that would be accepted. For some of my fingers it took three or four times rolling my finger across the screen before a green light showed to say it was a good print. Did the computer you were on have that? When my DH went back he got a green light on the first try everytime.

Could you request that they do it the old fashioned way? Our jail still has that option!

Last edited by knutfugget; 10-06-2008 at 02:29 PM.
crystalandchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #13
carleighstutz
PCOSuperStar!

Send a message via Yahoo to carleighstutz

Hi ladies! I just wanted to join in here to tell you all how awesome I think it is that you are going through the process to do foster to adopt.

The quick version of our story:
DH and I just went through this over the last 2.5 years and we just finished the adoption process on Jan. 3rd for our 15 (almost 16) year old son. He was my brother's "little brother" through the Big Brother Big Sister Foundation in Arizona and we found out right before Thanksgiving in 2005 that he had been taken from his mom. So...DH and myself went ahead and started the process to become licensed foster parents for him so that we could be an "option" for him when he was choosing where he wanted to live (he had a few options). He came to visit for his spring break to see if he wanted to move here and in June of 2006 he chose us. On Aug. 1st, 2006 (3 days after our license was finally completed) he got on a plane and flew out here to come and live with us.

Originally we were just going to do guardianship with him because he was so much older, but on our way down to our family's house for Christmas in 2006 he asked us if we would adopt him. We said ABSOLUTELY and called the case worker right after the first of the year to let her know we had a change of plans. Almost 1 year to the date, he became 100% ours. We have DEFINITELY had our struggles since he is so much older and DH and myself are 28 and 31, but all in all it has been a very rewarding experience.

One of my BF's is also in the process of foster to adopt right now and she just found out a few weeks ago about 2 kiddos (7yo girl and 2yo boy) and they are coming to live with them on April 5th for good. She just found out this morning that the mom just had a baby 5 days ago that was taken away from her as well and they are the first option for them if the mom doesn't get her act together (she has 11 kids and they are ALL in other homes and she just continues to have more and more...sad). So...they are pretty much getting their instant family with 3 kids.

It is a truly amazing experience and I think people who make it through the foster process and then go on to adopt are very brave people.

I know quite a bit about dealing with the state (both WA and AZ) so if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask away. I love to share my knowledge and it has been a really good thing for my BF to have available to her when she needs to ask questions.

Can't wait for you all to get your special phone calls on the kiddos that have your names written all over them!!!!!

Jacob Scott 8/16/07

Caleb Anthony 3/14/09
carleighstutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
tweety

Our jail has both ways. I used the comp anf DH used the ink.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #15
PunkinSpice
PCOStar!

Carleigh-Thanks for sharing! We are definitely excited!
Nicci: 15yrs old (foster-adopt)
K: 17yr old female (foster)

Yup-there's five of them now! LOL

PunkinSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #16
jkossmann

Send a message via AIM to jkossmann Send a message via Yahoo to jkossmann

not sure if anyone would be interesting but the adoptuskids site has just put up a sibling group of three who are absolutely precious!! two of them are listed as infants even though ones a toddler, and the third child is 7. they would prefer for one of the parents to be stay at home, but i think it said they would work around it. but thought if anyone thought they could handle 3 those are the perfect ages!
TTC#1 since 05 with PCOS, endo, and in 08 discovered MF.. Starting Follistim/IUI this cycle!
Lap/Hsg 09-finally got my right tube open but it has a diverticulum, removed several stage 1 endo areas, removed a large cyst, and a benign uterine polyp
jkossmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #17
jkossmann

Send a message via AIM to jkossmann Send a message via Yahoo to jkossmann

Punkin thats wonderful news!!!!!! congrats!
TTC#1 since 05 with PCOS, endo, and in 08 discovered MF.. Starting Follistim/IUI this cycle!
Lap/Hsg 09-finally got my right tube open but it has a diverticulum, removed several stage 1 endo areas, removed a large cyst, and a benign uterine polyp

Last edited by knutfugget; 10-06-2008 at 02:30 PM.
jkossmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
debbymc4
PCOStar!

Punkin, you're so close! I'm so so so very happy for you and have my fingers crossed that these little guys are a good fit.

debbymc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #19
crystalandchad

Punkin, hopefully all the bumps in this journey are gone now and you can be on the fast road to getting these boys in your home. I am so excited for you.

We got another call today from our licensor to let us know that we should be fully licensed within the next few weeks. All of our paperwork and background checks have been officially sent in! Yippee!!!

When she called she also mentioned that there may be a 1 year old boy available soon. The little boy has been in foster care since he was born prematurely. He was previously on oxygen and a feeding tube but is no longer. The mom of this little boy is only 17 and is close to terminating her parental rights. She is thinking that the only way she will do it though is if she is allowed an open adoption. The family that the boy is placed with now is not interested in adopting him (I have no idea why!) so our licensor asked us to think about whether or not we are interesting in this situation.

My DH and I have talked about it a little bit and we would like to know more about his health and what kind of open adoption the mom is looking for. We are trying to not get too excited about it yet as the mom may change her mind!

crystalandchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #20
PunkinSpice
PCOStar!

Crystal-Sounds great! YAH!!! We are not going for an open adoption as it's hard enough dealing with DH's exwife with DSS that I can't go through it anymore. It's too hard on the child not knowing who is really his mommy-as one acts like it and one doesn't-but the one that doesn't constantly belittles him and tells him one thing. It's just a very difficult situation for a child. We are more than willing to have extended family-ie. grandparents, siblings, etc. involved, to a point, but the parents are another story. If it was an infant adoption-we may consider it-but for an older child it would be too difficlt for them-especially if the rights are terminated-they are being terminated and not freely given up for a reason. (That's strickly my opinion. Maybe cuz I work in the field! LOL)
Nicci: 15yrs old (foster-adopt)
K: 17yr old female (foster)

Yup-there's five of them now! LOL

PunkinSpice is offline   Reply With Quote