PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Faith-based Support

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
k-lady

Default Any feminist theologians out there?

Male imagery for God has been very unhelpful for me as I struggle with PCOS. I have found female imagery for God and feminist theology to be the place where God meets me in the most real ways as I struggle with this disease.

Feminist theology affirms the importance of the body, especially women's bodies. It also affirms that our bodies are a part of God's creation.
Feminism also liberates us to critically examine the way women's stories are told in the Biblical witness.

As I hear the stories again and again of barren women in the Bible, I sometimes feel frustrated that they are made whole only when they concieve children. Interpreting the Bible through a feminist lens allows me to be in that place of hurt and questions.

I also find hope that I am made in the image of God who birthed the world and who creates and coaxes up all life. I am made in the image of Christ who healed and redeemed and is redeeming all of creation, and also in the image of the Spirit, powerful and unpredictable. When I feel sad about my body not creating, I feel connected again to God and creation when I remember that I do create because I am made in the image of a mothering, creative God.

I still feel angry at God sometimes and have a lot of struggles and questions, but more expansive ways of speaking about who God is allow me to honestly deal with my faith and PCOS.
Anybody else out there who has found ways of thinking about God helpful or struggles with where God might be in all of this?
k-lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
duckysleepover

Send a message via Yahoo to duckysleepover

I want to share with you Sarah's story. For me, this has help alot. I can totally relate to her. Sarah struggle with Infertility her whole life. She was consider barren. When she heard the Lord was going to give her a child in her ninety's she laugh. She doubted that God could do that (Gen 18:12). But, the Lord was faithful to his promise and gave Abraham and Sarah a son. Notice that their first born also had a calling on his life from the Lord. It was in God's timing that this happen. God is never late in his timing. I believe that even though we struggle with our IF, God has a special calling on all our first born.
Lately I have been studying more in dept about Sarah and Abraham. I found these verses in Romans which has been such a balming to my heart:

18Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, "So shall your offspring be."[d] 19Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead—since he was about a hundred years old—and that Sarah's womb was also dead. 20Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. 22This is why "it was credited to him as righteousness." 23The words "it was credited to him" were written not for him alone, 24but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. 25He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.-Romans 4:18-25

Lately I been feeling like my body is dead. I don't ovulate on my own, I don't have AF at all ( I haven't had AF on my own in 5 years). I been feeling so discourage about not being able to conceive in 5 years. Then I realized that this is one of the weapons that Satan is attacking me with. He is trying to get me to doubt how big God is. He has been telling me the doctors can't even make you have a baby, why do you think you can have a baby on your own. I learned to stop him dead in his tracks. Tell him that first all, "I can do all things, through him who gives me strength"-Philippians 4:13. Then with prayer, mediation, and the Lords help; he has giving me strength and peace to go about my day. I know personally that God has given me promises about a child. I even had some of these things spoken over me. Even though, it seems like a lifetime away, I'm putting my trust and hope in God. I realized, if God had the power to make a dead and baron body to conceive. Certainly, he can do this for me.

P.S I strongly in courage you to read, "Battlefield of the mind" by Joyce Meyer

Praying that the Lord will help you through your infertility. I'm here if you have a question or just need someone to talk to.
-Your Sister In Christ
On a ttc break until Aug 2011! Then bring on the RE!
2 round of Injectables...one BFP..MC 05/30/09
3 rounds of Clomid...one BFP..MC 12/30/08
duckysleepover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
k-lady

Thanks for your prayers!
k-lady is offline   Reply With Quote