PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
mouse1021

Default Need support and encouragment

Hi All, it's been forever since I've been on here and tons have changed since then. Currently I'm trying to recover from surgery. I had to have a 9cm cyst removed on 7/22 and gyn went ahead and had to take the ovary too. She said she had a huge battle to do it laparoscopically but knew I had to get back to work. Recovery was awful as I was alone with a 90lb lab, but I went to work after a week and after a week at work I was able to do a whole day. I work as a compounding pharmacy tech making hormones Yay me!!! but I'm on my feet all day. This past weekend my dog was very sick and I had to scrub the carpet, vacuum and then Monday was capsule day, made 1700, Tuesday I was in such severe pain I thought the stitching had burst. I saw my gyn yesterday and everything is swollen, so she took me off work for the rest of the week, get off my feet!!! She said. It's so hard, I'm a doer. My hair has been falling out a lot for the past 8 months, now 2 handfuls came out this morning in the shower. I'm trying hard not to freak, it's not working.

As you can see from my signature, I'm on a whole lot of meds now. LIfe has been horrible. I left my husband over 2 years ago, I was being treated for depression then, but with dating and date rape and 3 suicide attempts, it's gotten worse. Talk about dating the wrong men. Several have even told me I'm bipolar. I've read a bit, but it only depresses me worse because I see mywhole life in the bipolar books. Something on another board suggested a link between PCOS and depression and possibly bipolar, but I couldn't substantiate it. Does anyone have info on this?

I've read a bit on here about ovary removal and it looks promising so I may be ok, no huge hormonal shifts hopefully. I'm so scared and lost most of the time.

Thanks for reading.
Hugs to all who remember me
Marion
1000 mg cinnamon am, 500mg cinnamon lunch, 1000mg cinnamon dinner
150mg Topamax, 40mg Celexa, 50mg Amitriptyline, 100mg Lamictal
Low-Ogestral
Right Ovary and 9cm cyst removed 7/22/2011
mouse1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
karidpt
PCOSuperStar!

Send a message via Skype™ to karidpt

Marion, sounds like you have been through the ringer. I am so sorry for all you havebeen through! As far as the bipolar goes, i dont know about the link....but i know a few bipolar friends and relatives, and they manage theirs very well with meds. Our pcos hormonal shifts can be extreme and mask bipolar disorder. I guess i would get tested because if you are bipolar you need medication to manage the disease. Good luck to you! And welcome back
DS: 3/31/13 (my little heartbreaker)
DS2: 6/3/14 (mamas baby)

P.U.S.H. (Pray Until Something Happens)[/b][/size]
karidpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
melinda244

Send a message via Yahoo to melinda244

Sorry for all your problems. There has been research done on PCOS and links to Bi-polar and other mental conditions.....remember that PCOS disrupts hormones. I can't tell you exactly where you can find the research....maybe a good place to start would be on the forum under 'Research" or you could do a Google search with terms like "PCOS Bi-polar" or just "PCOS and hormone disruption".

Good luck, keep your chin up, and remember we're all in this together!

Melinda
Metformin AGAIN (currently 1500/daily, but was doing 2000 mg/daily)
Slow Niacin, Fish Oil, TriCor, Lipitor
melinda244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
mouse1021

Thank you both!

Yesterday in the shower, handfuls of hair came out. Is this normal after ovary removal? I've grown my hair long over the past few years and really love it in all its curls. I'd hate to lose it all. Will it get better?
1000 mg cinnamon am, 500mg cinnamon lunch, 1000mg cinnamon dinner
150mg Topamax, 40mg Celexa, 50mg Amitriptyline, 100mg Lamictal
Low-Ogestral
Right Ovary and 9cm cyst removed 7/22/2011
mouse1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
Jaydess

Their are a lot of things that can cause hair loss. Hormone changes, med changes, thyroid problems... It's an almost endless list. If you're not eating well and enough, that can cause hair loss too. And stress, even, although some people in the research part of the hair industry say that isn't true. (I'm a cosmetologist, and I've seen stress cause hair loss more times than I can count.)

I've found no research to back up what my OBGYN first told me about depression and PCOS, but I know that I've had problems with it for the past 13 years. I've talked to TONS of women who suffer from social anxiety, depression, and panic attacks that seem to tie in with severity of other PCOS symptoms. I mentioned it to my doc years ago,and she put me on Paxil, which seems to do the trick. If you're not already on an anti-depressant or -anxiety, I would bring it up to your doctor. Or, if you are on one, maybe you need an increase, or something to add to it. Abilify is a big one right now.

I'm sorry to hear you've been through so much. If you ever need an ear to listen, feel free to drop me a line. I'll make sure to say a prayer for you tonight, too. God Bless!!

Jaydess is offline   Reply With Quote