PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Medications

Notices

Old 05-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Jaydess

Default metformin problems

I've been having a lot of problems with trying to build up my tolerance to metformin. (I'm one of the unlucky few that has a severe negative reaction to the drug.) Each time i skip a dose because of bad stomach pain, when i take another 250mg, i start having abdominal cramps and abnormal menstrual bleeding. My stress levels have also been through the roof since i began taking met again. Since the stress increase is part of my typical reaction to met, thats not my concern.my worry is severe irritability and mood swings, along with the abnormal cramps and bleeding. Does anyone else have these issues, or have some knowledge they could share with me?

Jaydess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
jessienevins0314

Send a message via Yahoo to jessienevins0314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydess View Post
I've been having a lot of problems with trying to build up my tolerance to metformin. (I'm one of the unlucky few that has a severe negative reaction to the drug.) Each time i skip a dose because of bad stomach pain, when i take another 250mg, i start having abdominal cramps and abnormal menstrual bleeding. My stress levels have also been through the roof since i began taking met again. Since the stress increase is part of my typical reaction to met, thats not my concern.my worry is severe irritability and mood swings, along with the abnormal cramps and bleeding. Does anyone else have these issues, or have some knowledge they could share with me?
The only way youre going to build up a tolerance to the Met is to take it unfortunately. You can't start and stop taking it or it can and will mess you up. Stress levels have nothing to do with Met unless youre worried about your stomach bothering you - it also has nothing to do with mood swings, that could be another seperate issue. Metformin is for people with blood sugar issues or insulin resistance (which is why they put us with PCOS on it) as so many of our problems can contribute to insulin resistance. My dr started me off at 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I'm now up to 1000mg in the morning and 1000mg at night, and he did that after two weeks so I could get used to the 1000 a day. You may want to contact your PCP and talk to them about your other symptoms. I had abnormal cramps and bleeding at first with Metformin but was told that's normal as your body and sugar adjusts.

Good luck!
HSG 3/08: Open Tubes
Rx for PCOS: Metformin 2000mg, Prenatal Vitmain, Fish Oil, Folic Acid
jessienevins0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
Jaydess

I've already done the side effect research, and, unfortunately, the mood swings, etc, actually can be caused by Met. I've also talked to several other women who have the same issues. Also, my mom's a nurse and know a lot about the medication.

I'm to the point that I just don't think I can take it. I'll be talking to my doctor about it soon, so maybe he'll have some thoughts on it.

Jaydess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Darlin
Super Moderator
PCOStar!

Are you on regular Met or the Met ER. I have found that the ER is much easier on the system. Not sure which one you are one, but it may be worth looking into.

Darlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Working Through
PCOStar!

Has anyone noticed a shortened cycle becuase of Met? LIke around 22-24 day cyle???
Our Adoption Journal: http://www.anderson-ent.com/helpinga...row/?page_id=6
Working Through is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
amy26

Send a message via MSN to amy26

Well my cycles aren't that short but the metformin did regulate my cycles soooooo much better. I used to get my period like every 40-45 days and I could never tell when I was going to get my period. I also bled for 10-13 days.

Now, my cycle is more like clockwork. I'm down to a normal 28-29 day cycle and I only bleed 5-7 days.

I was on the regular metformin for about a year and it messed with my stomach a lot for the first few months... I would wake up in the middle of the night with horrible stomach pains and have to go to the bathroom. I then switched to the extended release pills about 4 months ago. I love these so much more!

I take my three pills around 10PM after a long day of eating and its much easier on my stomach now. I am having less diharea and less stomach pains and find it is working out pretty well.
amy26 is offline   Reply With Quote