PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Pregnancy

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Robyn147

Default cord blood banking

Hi Ladies,

My DH and I are deliberating whether or not to get our baby's cord blood frozen and banked. I've pretty much reached the conclusion that it's a good idea (no harm to the baby). The only problem is the price. So in order to decide whether or not it's worth the money, I decided to ask around:
Can anyone here comment on this? Does anyone have some experience with doing this? If so, do you recommend it or not?

Thanks!

9.10 - Baby Jonathan was born on September 25th, 2010!

Robyn147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Darlin
Super Moderator
PCOStar!

We wanted to bank but it was too expensive. We both agreed that we did not want it to go to waste though, so we got a kit and donated ours. Good luck in your research.

Darlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
flutter
PCOStar!

We looked at it very seriously. I still have my info packet if i change my mind at the last minute. For us it is the expense too. One of the reasons that I really really wanted to do it is b/c my mom had a stroke a couple of years ago and there is really promising research that is showing that the cord blood can help to regenerate brain growth and possibly fix some things. When I researched it further, it seemed like a long shot since they aren't really sure if there are really enough stem cells in the cord blood to help an adult. They already know that it isn't enough to really help an adult with cancer. So it would really only be helpful if she had issues. Which is hugely beneficial, but with the cost and where research currently is we have decided against it. The other problem is that my OB wouldn't give me any info at all which was really frustrating for me. She said that they had so many issues with the banks getting upset b/c they were giving out certain info so they just stopped completely talking about it with patients at all. She said basically that they were happy to help us harvest it if we decided to do it, but it was fully our responsibility to make it happen.

I also read a ton that said that they're finding really great things for use with the placenta because it has so many more cells in it... it's just that right now they don't have a process for extracting them so that they're useful. Almost like the cord converts them into cells that are useful. If they are further with this by the time we have a second, I would do it w/out question.

There would also be the issue of finding a dr in kentucky who would be able to actually put my mom into a trial to test the theories. She wasn't too keen on being a lab rat either...

I know that a lot of states here have banks where you can donate the cord blood and then if you ever need it yourself, they will see if yours is still available. if it isn't then they will give you access to the closest match they have available. Unfortunately that wasn't an option in Kentucky either and the banks have to be a certain number of miles from the hospital location to accept the blood.

That's pretty much everything that I figured out, sorry for the book!

Darlin,
Do you have anymore info on the kit you got? I was under the impression that the facility had to physically come to the hospital to collect it.
Beta #1 69 #2 only 89 #3 172
3/25/10 Saw HB!
Baby girl arrived 11/08/2010!
Lost nearly 70 lbs.
TTC #2 6/12 Femara 2.5 mg BFN
7/12 Femara 5 mg BFP!
7/29/12 Beta #1 51 It's a BOY! Born 4/4/13

flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
jessicaileen
PCOSuperStar!

robyn - DH and I also seriously looked into it also. We researched all the different bank companies and the cost was about $2500 plus yearly fees but it was going to be worth it if someday it could help my child. We thought that if we banked his blood then years down the line, he, God forbid would have cancer, stroke, etc that the blood could help him. We found out that most patients can't use their own cord blood but rather a siblings cord blood and also the research hey are doing now probably won't help my child's generation but the generation after. We finally decided to just save our money and not do it although I wish I would have done it and just donated it since that is no cost.

TI, IUIs...nothing worked, 2 Fresh IVFs + 2 FETs = 2 negatives and 2 miscarriages....then on the 5th attempt at IVF....
Oct 2009 - FET 10/27/09 = BFP! - Camden Charles born 7/7/10
6th IVF transfer....
Oct 2011 - FET 10/19/11 = BFP! - Austin Jules born 7/1/12
jessicaileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
Tawny

Send a message via ICQ to Tawny Send a message via MSN to Tawny Send a message via Yahoo to Tawny

the cost to store cord blood for possible personal use was far to expensive for us

instead we donated 3/4 of the cord for "public" use , which could be for another patient or for scientific research
and the other 1/4 was sent off for a lifestyle study i was involved with
(they do studies on the cord blood, lifestyle, and child's well being till aged 18 or 21)

i would have loved to keep it "just incase" but this way, its not just wasted.

http://rebeccamila.blogspot.com/

Our First Miracle took 13 LONG YEARS,
But Rebecca sure was worth the wait!

Rebecca & Taylor are my gifts from God

Sadly we have lost many Angels
They are all watching over us!
Forever in our hearts.
Tawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:42 AM   #6
Meggiejen

I also looked into banking it. But most of the illnesses and diseases that the cord blood can help treat won't help the child it came from. What I really really wanted to do was donate it. There is a HUGE shortage of both cord blood and bone marrow from mixed race donors. My children will be asian/caucasian which is one of the rarer mixes. I can't donate though because I got a tattoo within the last 12 months and that's apparently disqualifies to donate. I know that there are huge shortages in donations from a ton of ethnicities though. I think if you needed a cord blood donation and you are caucasian there is greater than 80% chance that you will be able to find a match in the banks as it stands now. And a substantially smaller percentage if you are of african decent and even lower for other ethnic backgrounds. If you are unsure of the cost I would strongly encourage you to donate the cord blood. There is a decent chance that if your child needed it, it might still be in the bank since they do cross match cord blood. But its more likely your child will never need it. But someone elses child might and it could save that other childs life.

Meagan
Dx PCOS 2006
2010 Ante-flexed Uterus
12/09 & 1/10 50mg Clomid and TI = BFN
2/10 50mg Clomid and IUI = TWINS!!!
10/12/10 Our girls are here!!!

Meggiejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 AM   #7
Robyn147

Thanks for the input. :-)
Over here it costs about $1500-$1800 overall, and that includes freezing the cells for 15-20 years (depends on the company) and insurance in case you need to transplant the cells. I also read that the blood might be useful for a sibling, but if the child itself is sick, then his/her own blood will not be helpful. It's a tough call... On the one hand, I'm thinking "this is only money. How can I weigh the health of my child against something as stupid as money? Even if I never use this blood, the fact is I have some sort of insurance for this baby and the next ones." On the other hand, I'm thinking "Man, that is so much money on top of all the baby expenses..."
Argh.... will have to just make a decision. It's getting close to the wire now.
Thanks again!

9.10 - Baby Jonathan was born on September 25th, 2010!

Robyn147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
jessicaileen
PCOSuperStar!

robyn - You might want to just call one of the blood bank companies - if I'm not mistaken, you had to get the packet from them and paperwork setup weeks ahead of time so I'm thinking it might be too late for you but check and see.

TI, IUIs...nothing worked, 2 Fresh IVFs + 2 FETs = 2 negatives and 2 miscarriages....then on the 5th attempt at IVF....
Oct 2009 - FET 10/27/09 = BFP! - Camden Charles born 7/7/10
6th IVF transfer....
Oct 2011 - FET 10/19/11 = BFP! - Austin Jules born 7/1/12
jessicaileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Tink
PCOSuperStar!

We checked into it with Owen and were going to donate it, but I wasn't able to get a kit in time since I looked into it kind of late and he came a few weeks early.

This may be a super dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway. When Anna was born and they placed her on my chest, the ob didn't have dh cut the cord until she pushed all the blood from the cord into Anna. Is that the same blood that would have been taken had we collected this time? I'm just curious.

Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
rkingall

we banked our baby's cord blood. do the research - there is actually quite a bit that the child's own stem cells can be used for. prinicipally, diabetes and most childood carcinomas.

i would certainly do it again with another child. yes, it's a personal decision; yes, it can be costly. but i couldn't live with myself if ever my child were to become sick and i knew i had the option at birth.

just my $0.02.
1st FET: Failure
2nd IVF Cycle: 11/08 - BFP!!

http://reneekingofall.blogspot.com/
rkingall is offline   Reply With Quote