PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Medications

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #11
skarida

Thumbs up

Thanks for the great info - definitely helpful !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine72 View Post
or to seek out an endocrinologist and get to the bottom of things, which is likely to restore much of your fertility on it's own (may take a little longer, though).
since this is what i plan to do, what does it involve exactly ? how would my fertility be restored on its own ? this is exactly what i want but i don't know how to go about it !
skarida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #12
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

It's a difference in philosophy - the first option is where they don't really care why the hormone imbalance is happening, they just try to override it. The second option is where you visit an endo, and the endo will do tests to determine exactly what's going on - so, do you have IR? or a thyroid issue? or is it an adrenal issue? By finding out the CAUSE and TREATING THE CAUSE, the body naturally restores its proper hormone balance, which restores fertility.

One good example (especially for us Cysters) is with Insulin Resistance. Treating the IR lowers excess insulin levels in our bodies. As it's the excess insulin that triggers the hormone imbalances, the hormone levels start to even out again. For many women, within 3 months of good insulin levels, most of the cysts (the mini-cysts of PCOS that are really eggs that never ripened and ovulated properly) have resolved and proper ovulation has started to occur - and they are fertile again!

Here's a link that explains that, and also touches on a secondary cause of PCOS for those of us who truely aren't IR: http://www.jarrettfertility.com/PCOS...%20handout.pdf

Take care, and HTH explain things a bit better!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #13
Supanova

Default PCOS, medication and migraines...

Thanks for a great space. I am 38, and currently living in Amsterdam. I was diagnosed a number of years ago, but so far have only managed to find doctors and gynaes who want me to stay on the pill, getting increasingly stronger hormone doses as it seems to keep things under control for less and less time before it is back to regular migraines and spotting. My biggest issue, because I have no desire to fall pregnant, is migraines: I get them every time that my hormone levels drop (I try to limit this to once in 3 months, when I have a period) but also sometimes in between. Even with the extra hormones, it seems my natural drop in hormone levels in my cycle is enough to bring on at least a very serious headache, if not a migraine.

I have read a lot about Metformin. It sounds like something that I want to try. I have also read a few posts in various places about personal success with Metformin/Glucophage and getting rid of migraines. Or at least getting them under control, less frequent or less severe.

My question is: how do I find a doctor or gynae who is going to take me seriously? Any recommendations?
Supanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #14
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

To be honest, that is a tough question. What I would say is to click on the link (at the bottom of the first post) to the position paper from the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. It basically says how Metformin helps most women with PCOS and that if a woman has PCOS, that she should be automatically put on Met as a primary treatment. Take the doctor who seems to be the most open, and talk to him. Say that the BCP route doesn't seem to be working very well, and you would like to try something different. You were doing some research, and you came across this paper, and had also heard a lot about Met, and would like to give it a try. Remind him that you can stay on BCP while taking it, but are hoping that it will give you better control over your symptoms. Then, ask him what he thinks - doctors like to be flattered rather than ordered, so if you soften your approach (at least the first time), then he may be more open to the idea. If he says no, ask him why not. Fight for this - be insistant! And, if he shuts down on you, there are other doctors you can go to. Keep asking until you find one who's willing to listen!

In the meantime, the basic lifestyle changes listed in the original post will also help to control your blood sugar and insulin levels. The more things you do to help yourself, the better they work, so don't give up!!!

Take care, and let us know how it goes!!! Hang in there!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 10-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #15
Jojo77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine72 View Post
There's a few things here. First of all, you need to get a period! Secondly, you need to get that cyst to resolve. While I'm NOT a big fan of BCP, in this case it's probably a good idea for a few months as it will help with both.

Once the cyst is resolved, you can start using either an ovulation kit (many of us won't get a negative due to the hormone imbalances, but if you do, then it should be OK to use), or you can start taking your Basal Body Temperature (BBT) first thing in the morning and chart it. That will actually give you a lot more information to go on besides just if/when you ovulate, and many of us here prefer it. www.fertilityfriend.com is a great website that can help you with that and can chart it for you online for free, too......

HTH!
Thank you for your reply. Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I eventually demanded that the doctor see me and DH and I went to talk with him. He said to stop using contraception (condoms) and start medication. He told me I probably wouldn't get pregnant in the next 2-3 months, but after that I might. I am due for my annual appointment in February, so he said if I wasn't pregnant by then, he would start treating me with Clomid. He did not do testing for insulin resistance because he said that the treatment is the same either way. He didn't say anything about birth control pills to resolve the cyst or get my body back on track. Ultrasound tech said that the cyst looked like it was resolving on its own.

I think I was in denial about my Dx. See, I got my period on 9/14, three days after starting Metformin, Cinnamon and Prenatals, and I think I thought that the missed cycle in August was just a fluke and that with these medications/supplements/vitamins, I would be back to normal. Wishful thinking.

It is 10/18 and AF is nowhere to be found this month. I haven't started taking ovulation kits or BBT yet, but will begin very soon. I don't know if the cyst on the right side has resolved, but I have experienced pain on both sides over the last month, and now the left side is painful today and has been since last night.

I have been on a low GI diet for two years due to problems with constipation. I am pretty religious about getting 25-30 grams of fiber per day. I exercise a few times a week, but I know I need to up it. My BMI is probably 28 or 29, so I need to bring that down a bit.

I am moody. I feel like everywhere I go, there are people talking about kids. Last night I was at a store with DH and this guy my Dad's age was asking a friend he happened to run into at the store where the diapers were. The friend asked where his wife was and he said, "She is at Babies R Us. The baby is here!" I wanted to vomit. My husband told me I was being negative. I can't help it right now. I am so frustrated and scared. I feel like damaged goods. Oh, and the friends I have told (who all have kids, by the way) want to tell me about the person they know who has PCOS who has kids. Why do they think they can make it better?

Anyway, I am glad this site is here because I have learned a lot and know that there is somewhere to go for support.
500mg Metformin, Cinnamon, prenatals
TTC beginning in 10/2008
Jojo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

It does sound like your doctor (once you get in to see him!) has a pretty good idea of PCOS and how to treat it. The only thing I would suggest is talking about upping the Met dosage (you have to do this gradually), as the theraputic dosage for PCOS starts at 1,500 mg/day. Aside from that, it sounds pretty good.

With the age thing, I know what you mean!!! I'm 35 and DH is 37. I'm now in school and can't stop my program to have a baby (it's Massage Therapy, so it's also pretty physically demanding, too). I'm using the time until we can TTC to focus on improving my health, losing some more weight, and I will be seeing a Naturopathic Doctor next month to see what else can be done to prepare so that when we DO start TTC, everything is set up and ready to go! Hopefully, I'll be graduating with a bulging belly - even though it's kindof crazy to be starting a new career right after giving birth!!

One other thing - that conversation you overheard sounds to me like it was an adoption. If the wife had given birth, she would not be at Babies-R-Us, she would have been in the hospital or at home recovering! It could be that this is a couple experiencing infertility, too.

I know it's hard, and while your friends may not know what to say, it sounds like they really do care about you and are trying to help. PCOS does NOT mean that you won't have kids!!! There's proof of that on the Pregnancy and Mom boards!!! There's even some Cysters who've had 3 or 4 kids - AFTER finding out about their PCOS!!! The big thing is that you DO know what is going on, now, and NOW you can do something about it! There will be a lot of "wait and see if this works before we move on to the next step", but I'm pretty confident that you will be successful!

Here's a link to some really good information about PCOS and how treatment works. I find that the more I understand about PCOS, the better I feel, and the more I feel I can do about it! http://www.jarrettfertility.com/PCOS...%20handout.pdf

Take care, and if you need to vent, these boards are the perfect place to do it!!! You can even put the words "Vent" in the subject line if you really don't want any "advice"!

Hang in there!!!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 03-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #17
mommy_24

Hello everybody i am new here and after some many years of irregualr periods here i am , my gynocologists has diagnosed me with pcos. now i had ultrasounds done and they never seen any cysts at all! and i am wondering do i have pcos? she said my lsh i think it is was at 2..is this high i thought that sounded ok? also she is starting me on metformin. does this work and did anyone start ovulating and get periods? please i need help!!
mommy_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #18
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

It is very possible that you could have PCOS even if you don't have any cysts. PCOS mini-cysts are really eggs that started to develop, then got "stuck" and couldn't go any further. That's different from large cysts (which is what most people think of when they hear the word "cyst"). If your periods are irregular, you are probably not ovulating all the time, and it's possible that your body is not even trying to develop eggs at this point. The mini-cysts will re-absorb back into your body eventually, so that could be one reason why you don't have any right now.

With the LSH levels, it's the ratio and how they relate to your FSH that's important, so you could have normal levels, but if the ratio is reversed, then that points to PCOS.

PCOS is really a metabolic issue that happens to have gyno symptoms. Almost all of us have Insulin Resistance. With IR, your body doesn't use insulin that well, so it makes a lot more to compensate. That leaves extra "floating around" in your body. That extra insulin is what triggers the hormone imbalances, so, if you improve the IR, you reduce that extra insulin, and your hormones start to re-balance. You can improve your IR in several ways - I would highly recommend that you start with a low-GI-type diet and exercise and getting rid of as much pre-cooked, pre-packaged and processed food as you can (they have tons of additives that are murder to your metabolism!). Metformin is a medication that will also help you with your IR, and it's very effective for most of us. The usual minimum dosage is 1,500 mg/day - but you will want to gradually work up to that as it can really upset your stomach if you don't!

Many women find that by getting control over their IR, that their PCOS symptoms also come back under control and they start ovulating again. Even if you still need some help in that area, the fertility meds are likely to work much better if they aren't fighting against the IR, too. They say that once the IR is under control and you're ovulating again, you have almost the same chance as the "average" woman of getting pregnant. Just check out the pregnancy and mom boards for proof!

Take care, and HTH!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 03-25-2009, 06:07 AM   #19
Anna-conda

Hey!

I am brand new here. I've had the syptoms of PCOS since puberty and have some other weird and wacky health problems to go with it! I was only recently actually diagnosed with it, and have started on metformin about 1.5 weeks ago. I was fine building up to two a day, but now that I'm actually taking that the nausea is making my life hell! Being a uni student and already having health problems and stress the nausea isn't doing much to help get my assignments done! Just wondering if its possible to stop taking the metformin until some stage when I don't have other things to worry about? Or should I be asking my doctor? (just don't wanna pay for a whole appointment!!!)

Thanks!
Anna

Ps this site seems really helpful thanks!
Anna-conda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #20
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Hi Anna, and welcome to the boards!

Taking only 1.5 weeks to build up to 2/day (1,000 mg/day, I'm assuming) is pretty fast. Most of us space it 2 weeks between increases. Ultimately, you should build up to a minimum of 1,500 mg/day.

Here's some suggestions on how to transition easier:

1) Go on a low-GI-type diet that's low in processed, pre-cooked foods. Foods that are high in fat or simple carbs tend to set off the nausea and/or diarrhoea. For some reason, lettuce can, too.

2) Always take your Metformin with a good meal. For some people, taking it with dinner is easier so they can have the side-effects at home, at night, or even sleep through it. Others prefer taking it with lunch or even breakfast (anything more than 2 pills should be split up throughout the day).

3) Eat several times/day - ideally small meals every 2 - 3 hours.

4) Some people do better on the Extended Release version, although it doesn't seem to work quite as well (it's close, though).

The side effects do die down. I find that they're usually worst for the first few days of ramping up, then I'm fine. If they are really bad, then it's OK to back off your dosage and wait a little longer, then try increasing it again. If you just can't seem to manage, then talk to your doctor and tell him you're having trouble with it. He may change you to the ER version, or make some other alterations. There are a few people who just can't handle the full dosage, but they still benefit from a lower dosage. Remember that, once you've adjusted to the Met, it's still important to support it with diet and exercise. In fact, there are some studies that suggest that lifestyle changes are more important than Met! Certainly, both working together can do a lot more than either one alone!

There are some people here who can't take Met whatsoever. Littledragon is one of them. She actually gets a life-threatening reaction from it! She controls her PCOS with a very strict diet/exercise schedule - but she does it without meds! Naturopathic medicine has a good track record, too, with whole-body disorders like diabetes, IR, and PCOS. Just be sure that you see a qualified person, and don't just start taking stuff on your own, or relying on the person in the health food store!

Take care, and I hope this helps!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP