PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Medications

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #21
kathylake

Default Metformin/Adipdex

I was just recently diagnosed with PCOS. Originally just given the Adipex. Was told if lose weight I would ovulate and get pregnant. After another round of blood work, the OB/GYN called in a script for the metformin. Is this normal? Has anyone else done both of these drugs together? I'm going to see another GYN who specializes in hormonal issues. Just going for a second opinion. The metformin is nothing to joke about. It is rough. I've been sick since the first dose. I have no appetite (guess that will fuel the weight loss), but know it can't be good to go without eating anything. Anyone???
kathylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #22
dolphinchic89

Question new

i found out that i had pcos in november of last year i read that the recommened dose for metformin is 1500 mg/day and my doctor only gave the 1000 mg/day is this normal or should i be at 1500 mg/day???
dolphinchic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #23
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

You have to work up to the full dosage of Metformin or you will get REALLY bad stomach issues!!! Most people start at 500 mg/day and increase it by 500 mg every 2 - 3 weeks until they are up to the full 1,500 mg/day. Fatty and sugary/starchy foods can make side effects worse, as can lettuce (for some reason). You also need to eat every 2 - 3 hours (which you should be doing, anyways).

Take care, and HTH!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #24
dmitchell

Send a message via AIM to dmitchell Send a message via MSN to dmitchell Send a message via Yahoo to dmitchell

Wow I've found this site to be so helpful it's not even funny. I'm 21 (well wil be next month) And I've been told I have PCOS since I was a younger teen. However, I've never been put on Met. i really do want to talk to my doctor about it though! I still dont completely understand PCOS but, I'm getting there. I do have a rather big cyst on my right ovary, the doctor said she'll just check it out in a few months to see how it goes. i had a small one yaers ago, but went away. What Im really nervous about, is pregnancy on this whole thing of having PCOS. My fiance and I want a child so bad. I recently this month found out I was pregnant, howver, my hCG levels were rising very slowly and were low to begin wtih. Then, i had a scare went to the ER, and they found a 4 week gestation sack with no fetal pole. Few days later my OB had my do another blood test, well my hCG levels droped . So now she's telling me that i'm going to miscarry to be prepared. Im so scared, depressed, and upset. Is there anything I can do? I dont ovulate regulary. The only reason i think i got pregnant this month was because I hadn't had my period for months and she gave me Provera, AGAIN to enduce it. and when I took it and never go my monthly friend I knew something was up and that's when i found out... soo is there any advice that can help me out concieving AND hold onto a healthy pregnancy =( Im so bummed.

Hoping and Wishing that this pregnancy holds through!

dmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:03 AM   #25
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Hi Dawn,

Your biggest and best option is to work on getting the underlying Insulin Resistance under control. If you don't ovulate regularly, and your hormones are "messed up", then when you do ovulate, the egg can be a low quality, and that can contribute to genetic defects, etc. Also, pregnancy requires a delicate balance of hormones, so if you have hormonal imbalances, that can contribute, too.

The fact that you ARE able to get pregnant at all is good, though, even though this particular experience has not been. I know you are in "limbo" right now, waiting to find out what will happen, so now is not a good time to make huge changes or start new meds, but what you can do is work on making changes to your diet (small ones, as stress allows). For right now, just work on eating several times/day, focus your plate on high-fibre veggies (over 1/2 your plate), with 1/4 high-fibre carbs and 1/4 low-fat protein. Read about the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load. There's a website I really find reliable in terms of information about obtaining hormonal balance: www.womentowomen.com.

Also, take time to grieve. I know this pregnancy, short as it has been, was important to you. I believe that you WILL get pregnant again, and have a good pregnancy, but you need to process what is happening to you right now, first. So, take time to heal, and when you are ready, you can get some more specific information about how to manage the PCOS so that you can have a better outcome next time.

Take care, Hon!!! (((HUGS)))
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 05-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #26
dmitchell

Send a message via AIM to dmitchell Send a message via MSN to dmitchell Send a message via Yahoo to dmitchell

Thanks Sunshine. You really made me smile =) I'm trying real hard to cope,and get through this. I'll def look into that site you were telling me about. So i can start to get my hormones balenced, as much as I can anyways. So that way next time, hopefully this won't happen. Any more tips on hormones and what to do? Thanks so much all of you, for all your comments and input. i really appriciate it =)

Old 05-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #27
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

At this point, start by taking better care of yourself, and see what happens. If you want to get really into supplements, etc., then I'd recommend that you see a qualified naturopathic doctor. That way, you're not just grabbing what looks good on the shelf, but finding out what, exactly, your body actually needs. You can also get some GREAT nutritional advice, too, as nutrition can go a lot further than the Food Guide!

If you have specific questions, then feel free to ask! I'll do my best to answer!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 06-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #28
nessa

Default New to this site

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and was hoping that there was someone out there to shed some light on my most recent medical issue.

I have been diagnosed with a cyst on my right ovary. Pain occurs everynight as early as 2:00A.M..this pain start from the lower pelvic and moves to the right area. This pain lasts for at least 15-25 min burning costantly. Sometimes I can not even get out of bed to go to the bathroom. This pain oftern occurs for days it comes and goes

I have a gyne appointment scheduled this Friday to discuss my last pelvic ultrasound. They did tell me that it was begnin "good news" but also that it has shrunk just a bit,.....we are now at 4.9cm.

My husband and I have been trying to concieve but I'm afraid that this may have something to do with it.

Just wondering if anyone has these pains and what is the best way to get rid of it.

Any info will help

Nessa

Last edited by nessa; 06-05-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: incorect spelling
nessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #29
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Hi Neesa, and welcome to the boards!

You are right when you say that the large cyst probably has been interfering with TTC (Trying To Conceive), but it's great that it's shrinking! Just so that you know, the large, painful cysts have nothing to do with PCOS - they happen to just as many "average" women out there as to us. The PCOS cysts are small, mini-cysts where the egg didn't mature properly and didn't ovulate. They don't usually have many symptoms, although they can contribute toward the hormone imbalances.

The pain could be from a few things. 1) the weight of the cyst is probably putting strain on your ligaments that "hold everything up". 2) The cyst itself could be pushing on other things in the area, possibly a nerve. 3) The cyst is probably irritated and inflamed. There is another possibility, and this is why you should not be doing any vigorous activity right now. It's the possibility that the cyst could twist around either itself, the ovary, or the fallopian tube. This one is dangerous as it could literally strangle the ovary or the tube, which could mean that they would have to be removed. I would ask your doctor about that, and if you find a position that relieves the pain, then do so! Other measures include using deep, moist heat (take a wet towel, wrap it in plastic wrap, poke a couple of holes in the plastic and heat it in the microwave, wrap it in another towel and place on your abdomen for no longer than 15 minutes, checking to make sure you don't burn yourself), breathing techniques (great for later when you are having your baby!), and your choice of Advil, what-have-you. Something with an anti-inflammatory in it, like Advil and ibuprofen would probably work a little better than just a pain reliever like Tylenol.

You might also want to make your own thread and post it both on this board, as well as the General Discussion board. That way, everyone will see it!

Take care, and I really hope this resolves quickly for you!!! Hang in there!!! (((HUGS)))

Oh - one last "ray of sunshine" () - Once you get the underlying Insulin Resistance under control and get ovulating again, you have almost the same chance of getting pregnant as the "average" woman! Over 85% of us WILL get pregnant, somehow! Just look on the Mom's and pregnancy boards if you need hope!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 06-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #30
dmitchell

Nessa-
I too have a rather good size cyst on my right side. And I too get pain not as much as you seem to get, I dont get it daily, but rather often. not super bad where i can't hardly move but I find that also what sunshine said does help, I take hot bathes, with aromatheropy (helps me relax as well!) and I too take Ibroprophen, not just because of that but because i have a bad back and neck im prescribed 800mg's every 4-6hrs.. i dont take it no where near that much not even everyday, but when i have pain I do. I also have muscle relaxers the doc gave me because of my back and neck, but that's a whole diff story lol. Anyways, sunshines right, talk to your doc about all the diff posibilities. My doc told me taht we'll follow up on my cyst in a few months n see how it looks. So hopefully it shrinks a bit, righ tnow its good size, can't remember how big though. Well hope you get some more advice from the wonderful ladies on here, and from your doc as well. And hope everything goes okay for you =)