PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Alternative Therapies and Supplements

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #11
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

If you were treated for "Precocious Puberty", make sure you are tested for Non-Classic Adrenal Hyperplasia (NCAH). It is a mild version of a congenital disorder that involves the adrenal glands and it mimics PCOS. Treatment is usually a low dose of a corticosteroid like prednisone daily. If you do have it, but aren't treated properly, then you will probably not see good results (and get frustrated!) It's a simple thing to test for, and simple to treat, but often overlooked!

Here's a link: http://www.caresfoundation.org/produ...onset_cah.html

As for the Met - yes, a doctor needs to prescribe it. You may be able to use the fact that you saw an endo when you were little as a "foot in the door". Worst case scenario, you can look up an endo in your area, call the office and ask how much it would cost to see him. It may be expensive, but it is worth it!

Take care, and HTH!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
shellyhopeful

Default hello

hello to all im shelly and i have pcos for 8 years now and my emotions be going crazy alot does anyone else feel this way?i just be really mad and dont no why, this is a very hard thing for a woman to deal with the one thing we were made to do its so hard for us, i feel so sad because all of my friends have kids and they are always telling me about them and whats going on in there lifes, hm, im not even married yet at 29 so im just hoping when i do ever get married that there's still time for me to have kids i just cant even think of what life would be like to live it with NO kids ,oh how depressing hmmm, but anyway to all i wish the best sorry yall i just needed to get this out i thank GOD for this place where we can all come thanks for listening.
shellyhopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #13
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Hi Shelly, and welcome to the boards!

I, too, have had times where I have gotten really mad - ready to almost KILL someone kind-of mad - and didn't know why!!! With me, I finally figured out it had to do with my blood sugar levels. I'm prone to getting low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), and when I finally started to get a hold on it (by eating good, hearty foods every 2 hours or so), I woke up one day, and realized I hadn't had a "rage attack" in a long time!!! I am also prone to depression, and have a constant, low level of it all the time (dysthymia). That was gone, too!!!

The next couple of times I "was bad", and let my blood sugar get out of control and hit a low, my mood issues acted up again, and I paid attention to it, and the fact that they went away once I had a good meal. This has held consistant, and I no longer suffer from either dysthymia, or major depressive episodes. I still get "blue" every now and then, but that's it! I also haven't had a "rage attack" in YEARS!!!!

Of course, keeping your blood sugar more even is also going to keep your insulin levels more even, which would then have an effect on your hormone levels, too - so it helps in MANY ways! It's something that can't hurt, and it just might help, so it's more than worth a try!!!

One note: If you ever feel like you are (or are going to) putting yourself or others in danger, don't be afraid to ask for professional help, too! I have gone through therapy, too, and while it didn't "solve" my depression or rage, it DID help A LOT!!!! Dealing with PCOS is hard, no matter how you look at it. It's worth a few trips to a therapist just for dealing with the diagnosis, let alone the symptoms!

As for kids - don't give up on that, either! Some women will make some diet and exercise changes and maybe start Metformin, and their cycles snap right back into place! In fact, when my endo started me on Met, he cautioned me about unwanted pregnancies! I've heard of some women on here ovulating and getting pregnant within the first month! It doesn't happen to everybody, but it does happen! In fact, once you get your IR under control and start ovulating again, you have almost the same chance of getting pregnant as the "average" woman! 85% - 90% of us Cysters WILL get pregnant, using some level of assistance, too! So, while it MAY end up being more difficult, you CERTAINLY have good odds!!!!

Take care, and HTH!!! (((HUGS)))
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 10-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
shellyhopeful

Default hey

thanks ,for the good thoughts ,im so glad to know that someone else understands me. So i started taking (chaste tree berry) its a herb that makes you come on and hopefully" O" to ,have you heard anything about it?I been taking it for two months now and felt some cramping and spoting alittle so really happy about it ,wired how bleeding can make someones day, i mean i was really happy calling my friends and they like shelly your happy about bleeding lol, so hope it works ,thanks for listening best wishes for you.
shellyhopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #15
howigotmyskinnyback.com

Default alternative treatments with supplements....

Go to: www.howigotmyskinnyback.com
click on a product and read the science and research
it will amaze you!
these products will amaze you!
howigotmyskinnyback.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #16
BellaStar86

Send a message via AIM to BellaStar86 Send a message via MSN to BellaStar86 Send a message via Skype™ to BellaStar86

Thanks forall the info I have been diagnosed in my early teens(14-15 yrs old) I have been om metformin before (not on right now) is there any meds that doesnt cause stomach upset?
Where can i find cinnamon so i can try take it?
Thanks

Brittany
BellaStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #17
k-lady

Red face explaining food issues to others and support for teens

I am new to the support group and so glad to see that it exists. I am 31 and have been suffering from PCOS since I was 11. I was diagnosed at 17. Right now, I am very exctied about improving my health through diet, exercise, and stress relief. I really want to be a mom! I am considering a gluten free, sugar free diet. Problem is, I am about to begin work as a pastor for a country congregation where the people love to eat. I have talked to other pastors and they say it is very difficult for them to have a special diet. Food is so much a part of rural community life and church. Any advice about how to help others understand food issues when you are a public figure in a community that comes together around events that involve eating pie, coffee, and bars?

Also, I have really been thinking about the fact that PCOS is becoming more and more common in girls. All doctors I have been to have acted like PCOS is no big deal. I am concerned that parents and teens are not getting info that they need to help make their lives better. Additionally, acne, facial hair, trouble losing weight, and mood swings make being a girl even harder than it already is. I would love to start a support group in my area for girls and their parents that would address health, spiritual, and emotional well-being, and I am looking for ideas on how to get started. Anything come to mind?
k-lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #18
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

I think you will need to find some kind of middle-ground when it comes to country hospitality. When you arrive, will there be some kind of "intro blurb" in a newsletter or leaflet? If so, you can mention your health-conciousness and that you need to be on a strict diet. Perhaps find some recipes of foods that are "treats", but aren't too bad and share them? Or, bring some to larger gatherings so you know there's at least something you can have? With coffee hour, you may have to wander around with a cookie or something in your hand, just to stave off offers of more. Tea is something that is usually available, and if you drink it black, there shouldn't be much problem. That will fill the "obligation" of the host to provide for you. You can perhaps explain the gluten by saying it upsets your stomach, and "makes things embarassing for me in public" (hinting at gas and diarrhea).

In some ways, being a pastor puts you in a great position to educate others about food and health issues. I would start off with a group for teen girls & their Moms, and then branch out to PCOS issues as the discussions go on. Later, you can add a group specifically for PCOS, but at that point, people will know you, and you will have a better idea of who is dealing with PCOS (so, who to invite & encourage to come). Perhaps work with your youth group, too?

Be known for your message on health and well-being, spirtually, emotionally, and physically, and don't just tell people "don't do that", but provide good options. Maybe even create a community healthy cookbook at some point? The options are endless!

Take care, and hope this helps!!!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 06-18-2010, 04:28 AM   #19
desconlu

Thanks for the information! This is a great thread to introduce everything in this forum to newbies.
desconlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #20
macrylinda1

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelern04@msn.com View Post
As a newly diagnosed pcos girl I am so thrilled to see that there are other women out there with the same issues as me. I will be running to Borders and learning as much about pcos as I can. Thanks again!! PCOS girl in York, PA
Greetings.

Thanks for this intro post for us newbies.. its very helpfull
i couldnt find much on the net about pcos in depth..

ill be sure to share it with others.