PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Alternative Therapies and Supplements

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #21
Scopa3

Thanks for the great info. Never heard about Cinnamon, though. I do believe in the importance of good diet and nutrition in trying to conceive. It's also amazing how medically knowledgeable we become when trying to find a solution to our situation.

Norah
Old 09-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #22
wiserd

1. I think it's spelled coumarin.
2. Menaquinone (K2) in Japanese Natto can mitigate the blood-thinning effects of coumarin.
wiserd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:38 AM   #23
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

1. Thank you for the spelling correction. I have a mild learning disability, and will often write late at night, which can make my brain occassionally go haywire.

2. I have never heard that before. Thanks for sharing!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #24
CourtneyV24

Question New to Group

Although I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago, I am new to this group. This post has been really helpful. When I first found out that I had PCOS my Dr didnt tell me alot about it, (partially my fault for not pressing him, but I was just glad I could put a name to what was wrong with me) he just informed me that I needed to be on medication (metformin) which made me really sick the whole time I took it and even though I got Pregnant I miscarried 4 weeks later. I have had 4 pregnancies and have never made it out of my first trimester. I had been trying to concieve for 4 years when my husband and I got a divorce so now I am no longer ttc but would like to know what I need to do so that my PCOS doesnt get worse. So when I am ready hopefully it wont be so hard. It scares me that no man is going to want to marry me because I may not be able to have children, and that it will never happen. I have never heard of the cinnamon thing but I want to try that I am pretty good about watching what I eat lower carbs low sugar and I walk 2 miles everyday. A friend of mine who does all herbal remedies told me about this vitamin called GLA Complex it can be pricy but its supposed to promote period health it doesnt say anything about PCOS but I have been taking that and it actually helped me a little, since my last miscarriage in sept 09 I have been really irregular nothing shorter than 9 weeks and I took this for a month and actually had a period on time it was Amazing I called her crying. Has anyone heard of this supplement?? Sorry I am rambling, I am just excited to have someone to talk to.
CourtneyV24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #25
cmschapp
PCOStar!

I haven't heard of GLA COmplex. I mostly use some of the other threads of this forum. You can see what I take in my signature.
TTC#1 Since 1/1/10

cmschapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #26
marisolbeas79

hello Im so happy to hear that there is a support group out there for this PCOS before my doctors visit I had never heard of this syndrome...
In the past 3 years my stress level has been very high! my husband had cancer, and a new born child at the same time. And now this, can anyone give me more information, on the syndrome, like diets, or life style, i get often sugar drops, and i hate them, there scary! they happen almost every other day. and even more when im very active for some reason. I have all the symptoms of Insulance Resistance, but im still havent seen my endocronologyst yet. can someone help me!

marisol beas
31 168lbs.
PCOS in feb 2011
marisolbeas79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #27
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Hi Marisol,

Welcome to the boards! I am also prone to drops in blood sugar (hypoglycemia), and they ARE scary! Here's a few quick tricks to help you until you get to see the doctor:

1) eat every 2 - 3 hours. Try to include either high fibre, high protein, or both, even in a snack.

2) unless you are trying to raise your sugar back up, try not to consume sugar or processed carbohydrates. High fibre sources of carbohydrates are OK, and you need to consume some every day, but make sure they are wholesome, high-fibre sources! Beans & legumes (like, kidney beans, chick peas, lentils, etc.) are a good source of carbs as they are also high in fibre & protein. Just don't add tons of sugar when you cook them!

3) if you do get a blood sugar drop, have something sweet to drink immediately, followed by a hearty snack. It may be tempting to simply eat the entire cookie jar, but hold back if you can! A peanut butter & jam sandwich, or peanut butter & an apple is enough. Give it about 10 - 15 minutes, and you will start feeling better. Mix protein and fibre into your snack as they help to keep your blood sugar even and avoid the roller coaster of consuming processed carbs!

4) exercise is good, but don't jump into it! Always have a snack or meal before, and keep something on hand in case you crash. Walking is a good one to start with. Listen to your body, and stop when you feel like you're starting to drop. It's better to do six 10-minute walks and not crash than to do one big 60-minute walk and be right out of your mind!!! Your stamina will improve, just give your body some time to adjust.

5) finally, learn the signs and symptoms that your blood sugar is starting to drop, and try to "head it off at the pass". Teach your family and friends about what is happening to you, and what to do to help you in the case of a drop. They may not realize that, yes, you are "on a diet" and trying to lose weight, but you really DO need that glass of pop right now! With me, my brain gets fuzzy, and I have a hard time thinking straight and talking, so it can be a challenge when I do have a drop. By being prepared, I avoid a lot of confusion and miscommunication.

Metformin can help with hypoglycemia, although the first few weeks you take it, it may seem like it's getting a bit worse. Just work gradually up to your dosage, and be gentle on yourself as you adjust.

Hypoglycemia DOES get better! I rarely have a major drop anymore. I also found that my mood improved, too, as I got a handle on the hypoglycemia! You can still have "junk" once in a while, too. Just focus first on getting a handle on it, then if you want a treat once in a while, have it as part of a meal (like a nice desert), or combine protein with it (ie: have a piece of sharp cheddar cheese with a slice of apple pie - YUM!!!). First things first, though.

Take care, and I hope this gives you a starting off point! Hang in there!!! (((HUGS)))
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #28
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Hi Courtney,

I had to do a little research, but here's the best link I found to explain what GLA (gamma-linolenic acid) does: http://www.pjstory.com/GLA.htm

If you were to become pregnant, I would stop taking it immediately. Considering you had so many losses, I would also get your doctor to investigate you for a clotting disorder. This is a genetic condition where you clot a little too easily, and it disrupts the circulation between yourself and the fetus - often resulting in miscarriage. Treatment can sometimes be as simple as taking a baby aspirin daily, or can go up to taking heparin shots, but many women (including Cysters) go on to have otherwise normal pregnancies. I understand that this is not a priority for you right now, but it may help give you peace of mind and hope for the future. The fact that you have been able to become pregnant so many times is good news. Those of us Cyster with fertility issues often have trouble with this first part.

Please be aware that I am not trying to trivialize your losses or your feelings about them. I am only trying to let you know that "all is not lost", and that, if you should wish to try again, there is hope.

Hang in there!!! (((HUGS)))
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP