PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Partners

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
matt

Default Question

My girlfriend was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago, and I have a couple questions. The doctor at the time didn't really explain it all too well with her, and I only really found out what the symptoms and causes are until recently.

My gf said that ever since she took her moms progesterone cream that she has been having problems with her period, and that later she was diagnosed with PCOS, but from what she tells me it sounds like she is IR. Would that have had any affect on it?

I want her to start taking care of herself more, because currently she does nothing to treat the pcos, and she ends up getting nasty periods sometimes, like it will go for a day, then nothing for another day, then it will start up again. Any help will be appreciated.

Matt
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
debbymc4
PCOStar!

Matt - you're girlfriend is so lucky that you care enough about her to research about PCOS. You're right, she should be doing something to treat the PCOS because, untreated, it can progress to more serious problems like diabetes and heart disease. I would not think that using the progesterone cream 'caused' her period problems to become PCOS, although it could likely mess up the cycle she was in at the time. Progesterone elevates during the latter part of the cycle and then drops off. It's the dropping off that causes the menstrual bleeding. Adding progesterone at the wrong time would probably throw things off. But, PCOS is a complex metabolic disorder that would be around with or without the progesterone cream.

A good starting place for treatment is a consultation with a endocrinologist familiar with the disorder. Many women use metformin to help with the IR, which controls many of the other PCOS symptoms, but that isn't the only option. I took a more natural route with diet and herbs and had good results.

Best of luck to you and your GF!!!

debbymc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
wildflower
PCOSuperStar!

Just wanted to add tat your girlfriend is very lucky as well to have such an understanding boyfriend!

Also wanted to say that IR is believed to be the underlying cause of PCOS and therefore should be treated to avoid the health issues that debby mentioned. Some use Metformin, some use other diabetes-type drugs and some who chose a more natural route use Cinnamon. You can read up on more about these under the FAQ's thread on the General Discussion board.

I agree with debby that the progesterone likely didn't "cause" her PCOS. I thought that the birth control pills caused my PCOS when I was young, but now realize that my symptoms were being controlled by the BCP and that when I went off of it and my hormones went haywire, I began to see the real symptoms. BTW, the BCP only masks the symptoms and does not treat the underlying cause of PCOS (which is IR).

wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
matt

I'm going to get her to read the faq when she comes over tonight. Thanks again for all the advice, it is much appreciated.

I'm just as lucky to have her!!

Matt
matt is offline   Reply With Quote