PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Partners

Notices

Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
leelamalur

Default Newcomer- mum of 13 year old

Hello,

my daughter who is 13 year old was diagnosed by me initially and then the GP. She is frightened, worried and feels alone. Is there a way in which she could get support without flooding her with too much information and scaring her off.
As parents, my husband and I could also use some advice and help from people here who know a lot more and have gone through a lot more.

Our doctor says that nothing can be done till she is 16. We think not. She has dark pigments under her arms - Acanthosis- and we intend to get her IR checked.

So are there some things we can get started on straightaway. All of us a s family will follow the diets or lifestyle regimes that will help her.

So please feel free to advise. Thanks
leelamalur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
PCOSFighter

Hello! I think it's great that you're being so supportive of your daughter.
As far as things to do, the main thing is to get her IR under control. Once her insulin levels are back to normal, then the reproductive issues should subside.
On third cycle of 100mg Clomid and 1500 Met!
PCOSFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
leelamalur

Thanks PCOS fighter, I had almost given up receiving a reply.

We are waiting for test results but will make this a priority.By the way what the best way to introduce her to a support forum. is she too young? She seems to be handling her condition quietly right now- I wonder if she would benefit in joining a forum?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Jada

Send a message via AIM to Jada Send a message via Yahoo to Jada

Hi leela! This forum actually has a thread geared towards teens. I definately think she would benefit. I wish I would of had this when I was younger. HTH!
1/03 - 22 Weeks Fetal Abnormalities
8/07 - 5 weeks M/C
7/08 - 7 weeks M/C
8/09 - prog. 35.1, hcg count, 75, 132, 129 M/C - waiting for it
Jada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:02 AM   #5
leelamalur

Jada. thanks. I will look into this. I am just worried that too much information may distress and confuse her. Perhaps I will show this to her and she can decide what to do.

Thanks again
Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Even though she is so young, she needs to have some kind of say in what direction her treatment takes, and needs to be included. That will give her a better feeling of control over what's happening to her, and she will understand better, and have less to be frightened about. At this point, you can let her know of the link to IR, and that it's the extra insulin in her body that's messing everything else up, so if you can get a handle on the IR, then her body should start behaving again. Let her know that we do have a teen's board, show her how to log on, and let her decide if she wants to pursue it. Also let her know that if she comes across information that is scary, that she should talk to someone about it - if not you, then to ask here. We are all pretty good about supporting our younger members, explaining things, and correcting each other if we get something wrong! lol If you like, you can even get her to PM me - I'm a 35-yr-old mother of a 15-yr-old son, and I've had IR (and likely PCOS) since I was her age. I'm also a Massage Therapy Student in Canada (an intense, 2200-hour course here!), and I also have access to other health professionals if I can't figure something out, including a Naturopathic Doctor (who's brain I want to pick at the next opportunity! lol)

At the very least, go over the FAQ's with her - that will give her a base point to start from, and covers most things which might be frightening if she finds out in other ways (ie: potential fertility issues).

Take care, and don't be shy in asking for help - PM me if you want to! (((HUG)))
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
leelamalur

Hello Sweet sunshine
your message made me very tearful. That was so wonderfully supportive precisely because you have offered choices of actions that are available for me and my daughter. Your experience itself is so valuable for us and that you have shared this with a stranger is both warming and moving. Thank you again. My daughter read this post and as her school breaks up on Thursday she has agreed to look through the forum and site with me.

Together we are going to go into the teens section and run through this support network. She is very pleased with the hug you have sent.

We are yet to see the endocrinologist and our doctor has advised her not to try any herbal remedies as yet till all the tests are completed. So right now she does some excercise and is eating less carb and sugar. A good start anyway.
Will keep you posted. Thanks again. We return many hugs to you
Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
leelamalur

Thumbs up

By the way Sweet Sunshine, good luck with the massage therapy course. I believe it is a great way to keep fit. Had a friend who learnt to be a Shiatsu teacher and she lost kilos.

Any tips from the Naturopath when you get it please pass on and am sure you will.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

You are very welcome - and thank you for your support!

I had a VERY brief conversation today with the NP (he is my biology instructor), but didn't get far enough into it to really get some answers - YET! lol

One of the reasons I'm making this massive career change at this point in my life (I used to do office work) is because I just can't handle being so sedentary - this is part of my "lifestyle change plan of action"! I really belive that our so-called "modern" way of life is destroying us in so many ways - and that more of us need to "revolt" and choose alternate lifestyles like country living, growing our own vegetables, getting our eggs from a farmer down the road, and so on. But... that's just me! lol

It sounds like you have got a good action plan for yourself and your daughter. I only wish that I had a supportive Mom like you when I was her age! (((HUG)))

Take care, let me know how things go!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:05 AM   #10
leelamalur

Red face

Hello all

we finally got to see the Endocrinologist at the hospital. He was open , did some basic checks and has requested blood tests. When I pointed out the Acanthosis under my daughters underarms, he said that a IR test would be unnecessary as it is visibly positive that she is IR.

He has referred us to a dietician and suggested a flexible exercise regime. My daughter was interested, asked questions and even tried to get the doctor to pursuade us to buy a dog, just so she could get fit Wily child!!!

Interesting thing is he said that there was an ongoing research on second generation Indians whose parents migrated to the West and the increasing incidence of PCOS among this group. I believe the the genetic make up is geared towards the indigenous diet of Indians but the endocrine system goes haywire with the calorie overload that comes from foods we eat here, in the West. If I can get hold of this research I will pass it on.

So it is suggested that Metformin for weight, IR and hair growth control is an option but we try the natural way first.

So I will post on another thread as I get more information and try new diets and exercise.

Thanks all.