PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Partners

Notices

Old 06-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
bearman

Default DH of newly Dx PCOSer. How can I help?

My wife was just Dx Friday with PCOS and she is acting like a duck on the pond (ie on the surface things are calm but underneath those little feet are churning a mile a minute). She won't talk about it with me but she will her mom, so at least she will talk to someone. What all can I do to help and how do I keep from helping too much? Any suggestions or personal experiences of things partners have done to help? Especially when it comes to nutritional changes because my wife is a very picky eater - think of the pickiest eater you know and multiply by ten . Thanks!
bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
bearman

Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?
bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
ndinkel
PCOStar!

Your wife is lucky to have a DH who cares so much. I wish I had some advise on the nutritional stuff (I am also a picky eater) but someone on the weight loss board might have more. As far as how to be supportive the fact that you are coming here says a lot. I would just make sure that you listen to her when she wants to talk, find out all that you can about PCOS so that you can help her if she has questions.
Are you wanting to have children?
The other suggestion I would make is to tell her that you came across this site, show it to her and maybe she will feel comfortable coming here if she has questions or needs to talk or vent. Sometimes it is easier for us to talk to complete strangers (though they become friends) then to the people around us who we have to talk to and see everyday.
Good luck. Let us know if you have any other questions or if you just need to talk.
ndinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
skusisto
PCOSuperStar Platinum!

All I can suggest is to make sure you make her feel loved and sexy! A lot about this disorder is defeminizing... there's the unpleasant hair growth, the infertility... makes you feel like less of a woman. Make sure you show her that she is all woman to you! That will help.

skusisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
JessicaAnn

My boyfriend is great at asking questions and taking the time to just LISTEN when I need to vent. Just last night I came home and burst into tears because I am so overwhelmed with information right now, and he just held me for a long time and told me he loved me. That's all I needed.

Your wife may not want to talk to you about it because she may think you don't want to hear about it, or maybe she's ashamed that she has something "wrong" with her. That's how I felt at first. Just let her know that you are there for her and that you love her no matter what, and she may start opening up to you. Tell her that your help is available if she wants it. I think that might help a lot.

JessicaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:36 AM   #6
Shelda14

Rock on for being so so supportive!! Is she dieting or excercising? Does she have a buddy. My DH and I have gotten into a walking routine just about every night after dinner. I know it's hard to work out by yourself sometimes and I think everyone would agree that with someone else is more fun.

If she's doing it by herself maybe you could offer to join in?
2 Basenji Fur Babies - Ramsey, Caira (4)
RIP Layla my little fur baby - Mommy and Daddy miss you!!!
Shelda14 is offline   Reply With Quote