PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Moms

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
flutter
PCOStar!

Carolina
First of all, you are doing an awesome job!!! I don't think that because he might have allergies to the milk in his formula will necessarily mean that he will have sensitivities to your dairy intake as well. I'm sure that's possible, but i wouldn't automatically assume that it will be the case. I'd start with the formula and go from there. That's awesome that DD is already back to her birth weight! Adding bottles into the mix will make them lazier nursers for sure, but it's not something that is irreversible and it isn't something that you can really do much about if you have to supplement. I would probably try to offer him the breast first and maybe you can hand express to get the milk flowing first before putting him on so he gets the instant gratification from the breast like they do from the bottle... he isn't waiting for your milk to let down. I'm not sure what bottles you're using, but you might try ones that have a slower flow nipple and are supposed to be closer to the breast so that the milk isn't as easy for him to get. Once he starts gaining, it's completely possible that you might be able to get rid of the formula completely. Breast milk should taste better and sweeter so you have that going for you You might want to put some questions out there to the moms of multiples on the FB mom's group. Regardless of what happens, it will all be fine. Nursing or not nursing isn't going to change that your kids will be happy and healthy You're doing a great job and have already made it farther than a lot of people!!! ((hugs))
Beta #1 69 #2 only 89 #3 172
3/25/10 Saw HB!
Baby girl arrived 11/08/2010!
Lost nearly 70 lbs.
TTC #2 6/12 Femara 2.5 mg BFN
7/12 Femara 5 mg BFP!
7/29/12 Beta #1 51 It's a BOY! Born 4/4/13

flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #22
Ginger12

@carolina, I can't even imagine nursing twins omg. I find that by the end of the day Nicholas empties me pretty good and I don't feel really full again usually until around 5am feed so maybe that is the case with you also at night and that is why he is frantic. Can you try feeding him similac sensitive or whatever it is the soy one and see if that makes a difference? I can;t eat any dairy DS flips out. He has been freaking out a lot lately even though I have been cutting out everything gassy. My cousin who is a nurse says that my body should be breaking down the milk proteins so it shouldn't be going through my milk. It is all a mystery to me.

4 Angel babies
DD Dec 3rd 2010
DS Feb 25th 2013

Ginger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #23
Darlin
Super Moderator
PCOStar!

I need some advice. DD is 7 wks old and I just went back to work. I have 900oz in my freezer and I sent 10oz a day to daycare with her. I am alternating frozen and fresh to rotate my stash. I am pumping 45oz a day and only sending 10oz with her to daycare, she also nurses when she is home.

Here is where I need the advice. I pump right after her morning feed and 4x at work when she would normally eat and I also pump right before I go to bed. I called a milk bank yesterday to see about making a donation and was told that I do not qualify because I am on an anti-depressant. They can't give that milk to premies. Since I am making way more than DD needs and I can't donate should I cut some of the pumping?

I had to EP with first DD and I am so afraid that somethig will happen to my supply this time that I am not sure what to do. What do you girls think? Also should I not pump at all on the weekend since I will be nursing?

Darlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #24
JE1014

First of all, WOW! That's a serious amount of milk you make each day!
I can't speak to pumping, as the pump never really worked for me, but I would think that you could try small adjustments and see what happens. If you have this much milk every day now, I can't imagine anything drastic would happen to your supply unless you got seriously ill or had to stop.

Again, I am far from an expert with pumping, but if it were me, i would drop a session at a time slowly until I was expressing the same amount that she ate every day (meaning if she takes 10 oz in bottles, the you should pump 10 oz total). Unless you want to continue to build the stash, then I'd aim for slightly more than she eats from a bottle. There's no reason to spend so much time pumping if it is going to go to waste!

TTC since Jan 08
2 Clomid/IUI Cycles - BFNs
4 Gonal F/IUI Cycles = BFNs
Feb/March '10 - IVF #1 & acupuncture = BFP!!!
Anna Mae born 11/27/2010 - 7lbs, 11oz and perfect in every way!

TTC #2 - since 11/2012
2 FETs - BFN & Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #2 - May 2013

JE1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #25
flutter
PCOStar!

Darlin
I'm also totally envious of your supply Way to go building it up! This is only -my- opinion, but I would keep doing what you're doing for another 2-3 weeks. Unless with Abree you had no issues with your supply dipping once you went back to work? When i went back to work and cut down nursing sessions and replaced them with pumping sessions, my supply dropped significantly after the first few weeks. I really had to work to maintain what she was eating with what I was pumping. Reese's demand is also going to increase in the next few months so if your supply dips and her demand increases you could even out. Once you see what your supply does then I'd just drop a pumping session... I'd probably drop one at work and only pump 3 times instead of 4. With what you have stock piled in the freeze you'll probably be fine to do whatever you want to do regardless, but that's just what i would do. even if it means dumping some milk. I'd want to protect my supply above anything personally. If you wean her at a year, there's no reason you can keep putting ebm into foods and things to continue it's benefits beyond that and use your freezer stash. I'm glad you've done so well this week back at work!

AFM... Hi everyone Holt is now 3 weeks old and things are going pretty well so far. We've had some latch issues just like I did with Lela. We're down to basically using a nipple shield at night and if he gets frustrated through the day. For the most part I can get him to latch without it during the day. Hopefully we'll be able to ditch it well before 5 months like it was with Lela. I've been pumping 2xs a day to try to build my freezer stash for when I go back to work. I'm only getting about 10 oz a day, but that's pretty much what I expected. I have 6 more weeks off and am hoping to keep up with what I'm doing the entire time. That will hopefully put me at 600 or so ounces when I go back. My stash saved me last time around so I'm trying to get as much in as I can. Holt still isn't on a real schedule as far as number of hours between eating. He does do fairly well at night though thus far. He usually gives me at least one 3-4 hr stretch. I'm debating on when and how often to start giving him a bottle. He still hasn't had one yet. With Lela we just did one a week because we had to do some to stave off jaundice in the beginning, since he hasn't had one yet, I figure I can wait until next week when he's a month and start then. How often would you do them until I go back to work?
Beta #1 69 #2 only 89 #3 172
3/25/10 Saw HB!
Baby girl arrived 11/08/2010!
Lost nearly 70 lbs.
TTC #2 6/12 Femara 2.5 mg BFN
7/12 Femara 5 mg BFP!
7/29/12 Beta #1 51 It's a BOY! Born 4/4/13

flutter is offline   Reply With Quote