PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Alternative Therapies and Supplements

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
Annie K

Post IR Info/vitamins

Hi. I just got diagnosed with PCOS a few weeks ago and was thrilled to find this forum. I've been doing a lot of reading here and think you ladies are wonderful.

I wanted to share that I have been going to a natural doctor for a few months, and before my diagnosis he told me to take MetaGlycemX from Metagenics. It makes me feel SO much better, but after being on here I read the ingredients list and found that the serving size (2 pills) contains (among many other vitamins) 600mcg of Chromium, 100 mg of Alpha-Lipoic Acid, and 500 mg of Chinese Cinnamon Bark.

Thought I would share as these were some of the vitamins recommended by the intro post on the site.
Annie K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Thanks for that info, Annie!

What other vitamins/supplements are in the product?
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Annie K

Hi! Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was traveling around Europe.

Anyhow, I'm back and the ingredients are as follows (serving size is 2 tablets)

Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 300 mg
Vitamin E (as d-alpha-tocopheryl succinate) 200 IU
Thiamin (as thiamin mononitrate) 15 mg
Riboflavin 9 mg
Niacin (as niacinamide) 90 mg
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl) 9 mg
Folate (as folic acid) 400 mcg
Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin) 150 mcg
Biotin 2 mg
Pantothenic Acid (as D-calcium pantothenate) 30 mg
Zinc (as zinc glycinate†) 9 mg
Selenium (as selenomethionine) 90 mcg
Copper (as copper lysinate HCl) 0.75 mg
Manganese (as manganese citrate) 1.2 mg
Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate) 600 mcg
Alpha-Lipoic Acid 100 mg
Vanadium (as vanadyl sulfate) 0.5 mg
Chinese Cinnamon Bark (Cinnamomum cassia) 500 mg
Catechins 100 mg
Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) (from decaffeinated green tea leaf, Camellia sinensis)
66.5 mg
L-Carnosine 50 mg
Taurine 300 mg

Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, silica, stearic acid, calcium silicate, magnesium stearate, and coating (deionized water, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, and carrageenan).

I take 3 a day, each after meals.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Kristen26NY

Send a message via AIM to Kristen26NY

Hi Annie--im not sure as to where you are located so i was wondering if thats sold in the states and if so where about? Or if you order online? And what essentially makes it better for us (i spotted the higher dosage of chromium)?
Multivitamin(GNC Womens Mega Multivitamin), Fish oil 1800 mg, Vitamin B Complex, Ground flaxseed where I can add it (1-2 tblspns a day ideally)
Kristen26NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
Kristen26NY

Send a message via AIM to Kristen26NY

i apologize i just re-read and saw you mentioned cinnamon and ala's...do you take met as well with the chromium and cinnamon infused in the vitamin for ir?
Multivitamin(GNC Womens Mega Multivitamin), Fish oil 1800 mg, Vitamin B Complex, Ground flaxseed where I can add it (1-2 tblspns a day ideally)
Kristen26NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
Annie K

I am not taking any Meta, as I have not been officially been given the IR diagnosis. I am going to get my labwork from my Ob Gyn on Friday and check it out to see if there are any clues, but I'm thinking I need to get tested. But I have all the symptoms of IR and most of PCOS, except that I'm a Thin Cyster.

I need to start taking fish oil again, also.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

You could still have IR, even though you are a Thin Cyster. It is more unusual, but it still happens. I was showing signs of Reactive Hypoglycemia since I was about 11 or 12, and when I was 15/16, I was "skinny-mini"!

See if the vitamins and dietary/exercise changes work. You might be lucky and that might be all that you need. If not, don't hesitate to ask for the Met, though. Even if you don't have IR, it can still help. Here's a good link: http://www.jarrettfertility.com/PCOS...%20handout.pdf
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
klt1283

i was always skinny i started gaining weight at age 20 50lbs over a 6month period
klt1283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Annie K

I got the lab work back. Not IR, not hypoglycemic. I may have the potential, as there is diabetes in my family, but I literally don't eat any sugar that doesn't come from fruits, veggies or grains. Or agave, that's what I use for baking.

So now I'm looking to compare my androgens to my female hormones, and of course, there's the pituitary gland. Just found out from the doc that my HGH is high. I don't know the scale exactly, but it was 50% higher than the maximum range. Still waiting to hear if she thinks we need to do an MRI. Probably going to start a new thread looking to see if anyone else has had a pituitary tumor, or high HGH levels, and how all that worked out.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

There are other women on here who've been diagnosed with a pituitary tumor. Scary as it may sound, most of them are benign (meaning, not cancer). To remove them - they actually go through your nose! At least that way, there's no scar, no shaving your head, and it's not like it's open brain surgery or anything!

The great news is that, once they remove the tumor, it's usually a permanent fix, and you shouldn't have any more problems!

The anterior pituitary produces Human Growth Hormone, which directly influences protein, carbohydrate and lipid (fat) metabolism and controls the rate of skeletal and viseral growth (basically, your body tissues and organs). It's targets are the liver and adipose (fat) tissue. A high HGH level would cause higher blood glucose levels, which would raise insulin levels, too, and could lead to diabetes. It also mobilizes the fats into your blood (supposed to be used for energy), so you can end up with high triglycerides (cholesterol). (This is directly from my Endocrinology notes.)

Given your family's history of diabetes, and how high levels of HGH can potentially lead to diabetes, I'm wondering if other members of your family might have the same problem, if it's genetically-related?

Anyways, keep us posted! I would get that MRI done, as pituitary tumors can cause other symptoms, too - they can press on the optic nerves and affect your sight, for one.

Take care, and yeah, I would make a new post about pituitary tumors and HGH. I'd post it in the General Discussion area, though.

(((HUGS)))
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP

Tags
pcos aid, supplements, vitamins