PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
MegzyAngel

Exclamation Celiac Disease and PCOS.

Ok so I have been doing a bit of research on the matter whether or not Celiac Disease could be a symptom of PCOS in some people or PCOS a symptom of Celiac Disease.
The following is a list of Celiac Disease symptoms (Can occur at any age unless specified)

I have marked in bold symptoms which can also be symptoms of PCOS....Let me know if i have missed any and i will fix.

Recurring bloating, gas, or abdominal pain
Chronic diarrhea or constipation or both
Unexplained weight loss or weight gain
Pale, foul-smelling stool
Unexplained anemia
Bone or joint pain
Behavior changes/depression/irritability
Vitamin K Deficiency
Fatigue, weakness or lack of energy
Delayed growth or onset of puberty

Failure to thrive (in infants)
Missed menstrual periods
Infertility male & female
Spontaneous miscarriages

Canker sores inside the mouth
Tooth discoloration or loss of enamel

Where as if you look at the symptoms a lot of them are also symptoms of PCOS.
I know although theres no definite connection and not enough research has been done to connect the two, but it seems that more cases of celiac disease in women have been found in those with PCOS.

Also whats more a lot of those on a Low Carb diet seem to lose weight better than those on a standard Calorie counting diet. Low Carb means Less Gluten Filled foods like Bread and Pasta etc.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art1507.asp

Below is a quote from the above web article.

"Smith said that 85% of her PCOS clients test positive for a sensitivity to gluten. When these women remove gluten from their diets they often see a marked improvement in their PCOS symptoms. She has also seen dramatic improvement in cholesterol levels, thyroid function and weight loss in women who have changed their diets to avoid gluten."

I thought i would share this as I think it may be connected some where to a lot of problems that PCOS women face..

I have not been diagnosed with Celiac disease but my test a few years ago (That i had because of Iron Deficient Anemia which i still struggle with) came back inconclusive, so really i should get tested again..

Im going to follow a gluten free diet for a while (Starting November 1st) to see if I feel any better. Will keep everybody updated on my progress.

I would suggest everybody get tested for Celiac if you havnt already just to rule it out.
TTC #1 Dec 2009 - March 2011
6 rounds clomid = O and BFP on 10th March 2011 Due 11/11/2011 Born 23/11/2011

MegzyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
wannabeathlete

Send a message via Yahoo to wannabeathlete

Gluten free made a difference for me. . .I lose good deal of water weight when i give up the gluten which proved to me it wasn't just giving up the carbs (I got carbs from corn products and veggies). I felt better overall and had fewer problems with the arthritis in my knees (I'm only 33, but I have really bad knees). I do find it is hard to stick to it though just because most convienent foods include gluten. I need to get back on the wagon with it though since I know I will feel better. I never been tested for celiac, just eliminated it from my diet and monitored the changes if any.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
MegzyAngel

Thats great that your seeing a difference when your on the gluted free.
I know what you mean with convenience foods..It seems everything (Unless its fresh of course) is packed with something containing gluten...I think Cakes and things like that are going to be my main problem.

I have found sources for gluten free things...Gluten free flour etc so can still make bread and things...Gluten Free pasta. DH and i love pasta so if theres a way then we wont have to go without. DH isnt going gluten free but if i can't have something then I dont cook it now. Unless its dessert then i have a weakness lol.
But i figured if being Gluten free is possibly going to help then why not try it.
DH said that i can have treats (Like cakes eg) every now and again but when i start the gluten free it will be strictly gluten free for the first month or so. If i see a difference then i will stick to it.

You never know Gluten free might be the key to finding a possible cure for PCOS (That is of course if peoples theorys are correct and Celiac or Gluten Intollerance is connected.) More research and testing needs to be done i think.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the gluten free wannabeathelete.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
wannabeathlete

Good luck with the gluten free! It's probably the easiest thing you can try to see if it improves your health. You will find that there are actually some really good gluten free goodies out there. . .Rice Krispy treats are good if you want a little treat. And Betty Crocker makes some pretty good gluten free cookie mixes. I haven't tried the pastas or breads though since I should be cutting back the carbs anyway. Sometimes its just easier to avoid those carbs all together, but my sweet tooth does win out every now and again.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #5
wannabeathlete

One more thing. . .The other thing I noticed when I went gluten free is that my sinuses and skin cleared up. . .I would wake up in the morning and my sinuses would be plugged up, but I wasn't sick with a cold or anything. But, when I gave up gluten I didn't have that problem. I also have exczema and that went away completely when I gave up gluten.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
MegzyAngel

Oh wow. I wonder if my allergies have something to do with gluten then...I come out with rashes to a lot of things to the point i have to be careful what i use.
I wake up with clogged/runny nose all the time...
Definatelly going to try the gluten...The more and more i read the more and more i think GLuten has something to do with it all.
Hopefully it helps with my allergies.

Can't use soap because i come out in rashes
Can only you one type of deodorant that i dont even like because of rashes.
allergic reactions to metal - again rashes
cant wear makeup very often as i get itchy
cant use scented body lotions

lol the list goes on...They are the main ones though. Its rather annoying. Be interesting to see if they improve.

My problem with breads and pasta is i love to eat them and its usually quick and easy to get bread out of the freezer and make a sandwich for lunch or something. And as i said in one of my above posts...Both DH and i love pasta.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
MegzyAngel

Well I have been doing some more reasearch. I'm still convinced that the two are connected somewhere.

I have been researching as to whether Gluten intollerance may be the one of the causes of insulin resistance (As we all know that studies show that Insulin Resistance is one of the main causes of PCOS.) So far i have found varying results so nothing really clear as yet to cover that theory.
I did find however that Gluten intollerance can cause acne so theres another one to add to the list.

One thinks this is starting to become a bit of an obsesssion.
4.5 Days until i start my new diet.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
wannabeathlete

I believe there is some connection. The prevalance of PCOS has only come about since our diets have changed to consume more carbohydrates (i.e. gluten). Fertility issues didn't seem to be quite common as they are today 50 years ago. My mom and grandmothers didn't have any issues getting pregnant.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #9
MegzyAngel

I was talking to a friend of my sisters earlier who has PCOS and Celiac Disease...Her doctor said there is definately a connection there. She was only recently diagnosed with Celiac back in May 2010, but was diagnosed with PCOS in 2004 when they started TTC #1. Unfortunatelly shes had 7 miscarriages and are still trying for their first..But she solely thinks that its the Celiac Disease thats the problem..Shes Gluten Free now and has had 2 AF cycles with no meds which she hasnt had in years.

Hopefully shes getting somewhere now.

But yes i have a book on PCOS....Its more a book on the different theory's behind the causes and how to treat it...Doesnt have anything about Celiac in it but it does say that the amount of women with PCOS is increasing. The Professor/Doctor who wrote the book does studies with his patients which helps with his research.

He's based in Sydney Australia so im going to try and contact him to see if he could do a study on the Celiac/PCOS connection...If he hasnt already.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
silverlining

I also think that it is likely there is a link between the two- it makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately it is so hard to separate the effects of gluten-free with low carb. Most of the benefits of going Gluten Free are also the benefits of low carb (I'm not talking ketogenic/atkins low but the standard definition of less than 100g/day). Since many people are IR, reduction of Gluten automatically reduces your insulin response and carb intake. Generally the carbs that are free of gluten, are 'good' carbs. It is hard to isolate one variable from the other. There are tons of studies that show the benefits of low carb on PCOS, but who knows, maybe what was really happening was that the LCers were unwittingly also cutting out gluten- and in-fact that was the main benefit. I hope more good research will be done in this field. One thing is for certain, our diets play a huge role in our health and our PCOS symptoms. Either way I am gluten-free and very low carb and am loving the benefits of both!

Losing weight is hard; Being overweight is hard. Choose your hard.

May-10.6 Jun -11 Jul - 8.6 Aug- 6.8 Sep- 2.2(preg/MC) Oct- 7.8 Nov-8.8 Dec-7.8lbs

silverlining is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celiac disease, gluten free diet, pcos