PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSupport Connections > Maryland

Notices

Old 05-29-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
chibow
Administrator

Default PCOSA Conference Press Release

PCOSA has published the following press release. Let's all get together in Denver! See www.pcosupport.org for more info.

Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) May 26, 2006 -- The Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Association, Inc. (PCOS Association) will offer its 8th International Conference dedicated to the wellbeing of women with the endocrine condition known as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Entitled “Moving Mountains”, this comprehensive educational, lifestyle and support-oriented conference will take place in Denver, Colorado to coincide with PCOS Awareness Month in September 2006.

Although awareness of PCOS is improving, this confusing condition which affects approximately 6%-7% of the female population in the United States is still widely misunderstood, under-diagnosed, and often improperly treated. Untreated PCOS means a 5–fold increase to a woman’s risk of developing type II diabetes, elevates her risk for cardio-vascular disease, and frequently leads to infertility. The good news is that these elevated risks and problems can be reduced and possibly eliminated with proper treatment. In some cases, changes to lifestyle alone can relieve PCOS with little or no need for drug or surgical intervention.

Women with PCOS can be baffled by seemingly unrelated symptoms, which range from annoying to life-threatening. Often, physicians do not put the pieces together. With PCOS, disruption in the balance of hormones in a woman’s body can lead to irregular menstrual cycles (including lack of ovulation), growth of facial and body hair, adult acne, thinning of scalp hair, and may sometimes lead to obesity despite the adherence to seemingly “healthy” diet. Although the cause of PCOS is still debated by experts in the field of endocrinology, a great deal of evidence points to “insulin resistance”, a condition that keeps nutrition from properly reaching tissues throughout the body, and sometimes promotes over-storage of glucose as fat. At the same time, excess insulin appears to disrupt the delicate balance of hormones in a woman’s body, leading to the diverse set of symptoms that comprise PCOS.

“PCOS is not a cosmetic problem or an annoyance – it’s a potentially life-threatening disorder that results from an underlying endocrine imbalance”, says PCOS Association Founder Christine DeZarn. “But PCOS can and must be managed with an effective treatment program. Women just need to learn how!” The Denver conference “Moving Mountains”, September 15-17, 2006, will focus on understanding PCOS from the patient perspective, as well as lifestyle changes and medical intervention that can be used to alleviate the cause of PCOS as well as its symptoms. Most importantly attendees will enjoy the ability to share their experiences, challenges and successes with other patients in a positive environment, while learning to make lifestyle modifications that lead to better overall health.

###
chibow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Khatija

Default Pcos And Infertility

Hello ,

Its hard to deal with. embarrassing hair growth, uncontrollable weight gain , and fertility issue! Just seems like I got the bad end of the deal. I have been taking Metformin for 3 years... tried provera to start a period and clomid to get pregnant , nothing seems to work! And after 7 years of trying it really takes a toll on a marriage... I just dont know anymore...

Depression because of infertility and no mater how many fruits and vegis weight loss programs and gym memberships I just can loss this weight!!!!

Oh yeah and no health insurance makes it all better!

What to do!! Confused, Depressed, Sad and Lost
Khatija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
sonnywife

Im in the same boat... I just got married and i already feel less of wife because nothing seems to work to get me prenant, i have been on so many birth control pills to try and regulate my period.. i have had 2 D&C's done and still nothing. I'm on clomid now hopefully this works if not i just dont know what to do But Pray that GOD sends me angel.and i will say the same prayer for you as well
sonnywife is offline   Reply With Quote