PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Lavender

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #21
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Hi Camilla,

The main treatments for PCOS (and the accompanying Insulin Resistance) are changes in nutrition and activity. Making changes like this can be challenging, but are easier if your partner is supportive, so hopefully she decides to join you in your quest for health. I'm thinking the best way to open up the topic is to talk to her about how PCOS is affecting you, and what symptoms you have, and then maybe tell her that you are concerned for her, too. She may be feeling shy about talking about her issues, or maybe has just "put it aside" like so many women do, thinking "oh, it's just me" and maybe not realized that it is a medical issue.

One of the biggest things you can do is to get away from sugars and highly-processed foods that contain food additives and hidden sugars! Wholesome and home-made is the key! (that, and high fibre! )

I hope this helps, and that you find whatever level of support you need!

P.S. I agree that being bi/lesbian is not a part of having PCOS, but there is some kind of a connection between the mother's hormone levels while pregnant and how the child later develops her sexuality. I don't know how STRONG of an effect it is, but it has been noted. I'm also NOT suggesting that there's any kind of "cause" or "cure" for a non-straight sexuality - it could be one factor, and that's all I'm suggesting. And, I'm talking about the mother's hormone levels while pregnant, NOT necessarily yours (although there is also a genetic link with PCOS, too). (I really wish I could find that study....)

So, if anything, it strengthens the "you're born like that" theory. Personally, I think of it as a scientific curiosity - you are who you are. There are so many things that affect who we are - both genetic and environmental - does it really matter?
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #22
nativesocalgirl

Send a message via Yahoo to nativesocalgirl
Default Hello

Hi I am 39 and a lesbian. My partner and I have been together 5 years. I don't want to get pregnant anymore. I finally found a doctor who is listening to me. She is also a lesbian. Thank you Palm Springs. I decided I wanted to try cinnamon so talked to the doc and wouldn't you know it. I have had 3 periods this year all by myself. I have never in my life had this many naturally in my whole life except when I was on the pill. My moods are better and I am loosing weight slowly but loosing. I am happier then I have been in a really long time.
nativesocalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #23
pcosshaw

Hi, I'm 23, gay, and have known ive had PCOS for about 4 years. I also have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and find it hard to avoid trigger foods while trying to eat healthily. My partner and I both avoid spicey foods, dairy products and anything that triggers 'bad' reactions. Metformin and the contraceptive pill just arent working for me - some make me really sick, and others make me feel like a whiney, depressed, ****ty gf. So at the moment I am taking nothing.

PCOS makes for a great base for exercise (possibly not in the cardio sense, as running and riding is hard carrying the extra weight) but dude, do I build muscle quickly.

I am keen to try out adding cinnamon to my diet, and come summer I hope to lose a couple of kgs so that I am at the 69kilos the fertility doctor said to aim for (I have been trying to get there for 4 years!). My weight fluctuates so much, on a daily basis, that its exhausting mentally. Does anyone else find that?

I am getting civilly united in March next year and hope to have it all undercontrol (naturally) by then... weight, regularity, everything.

Cheers
pcosshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #24
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Hi Pcosshaw, and welcome!

Building muscle is a good idea, as Insulin Resistance (the main cause of PCOS) is based mostly in the muscles, and muscle is the best fat-burner of all! If you can include some "spurts" of high cardio in your regular routine, this can trigger many of the cardiovascular benefits of a cardio workout into your regular routine. Also, you may want to work on using slightly less weight with higher reps as this works a different kind of muscle fibre which is more for endurance and also happens to be less bulky. A great role model for you might be Gemma Magnusson (nee Taylor). She is a woman with PCOS who became "Britain's Strongest Woman". Here's some information on her:

Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you have a lot of muscle, 69 kilos may be "skinnier" than you think!

One caution about using cinnamon: Many cinnamon preparations out there contain small amounts of a potent blood thinner. Because of this, I would suggest starting off with only 500 mg/day, and give it a good 3 months to see how you respond to it. If you don't think it's strong enough, then go up to 1,000 mg/day, but no more, and if you ever have surgery, etc., then let the doctor know you take it (and how much). It's also best taken with a meal because it can bring your blood sugar down quickly in some people. A good way to use it is simply to add the spice to your food. You'll stop eating it before it gets to too high a level! lol

Rapid weight fluctuation like that is not fat accumulation, but usually water weight. It could be connected to the IBS. It might be a good idea to visit a Naturopathic Doctor. They have an enormous amount of training, but are trained in helping the body to balance itself, rather than "taking over" like most "Western Medicine" doctors. It may also be less expensive than you think. It's worth checking out, anyways.

Congratulations on your union, btw! That is a great event to look forward to! When it comes to baby-making (from your other post), look into both AI and IVF. With some basic monitoring (much of which you can do yourself at home with a fertility thermometer!), you can determine a lot about your fertility. So long as you are ovulating regularly, and have a good luteal phase, you should have a good chance of becoming pregnant with a simple AI. Once you get your body better-balanced, wait at least 3 months (it actually takes 3 months to "grow" an egg), then you should be in a good place to look at getting pregnant. AI is much simpler, cheaper, and easier on the body than the fertility drugs and proceedures involved in IVF! At the very least, it's worth looking into. With PCOS, once you get the underlying IR under control and get ovulating, you have almost the same chances of getting pregnant as the "average" woman! Here's some good information on that, too: http://www.jarrettfertility.com/PCOS...%20handout.pdf

Take care, and good luck!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote