PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Lavender

Notices

Old 08-19-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
candigrll

Default PCOS and the loss of my sexual identity

I'm so glad that I found Lavender! I was just exploring the forums and happened to come across it...

I just posteda thread about my general loss of interest in sex in the general discussion section (feel free to read it if you want a little more general info about my situation) Now that I know there is forum for discussing lesbian/bisexual issues, I would love some insight into some of the deeper problems that I've been experiencing.

I am 32, married, and the mother of a wonderful 2yo boy. From the time I entered puberty, I have considered myself bisexual. My husband knows and accepts this, and it has never been an issue in our marrage. We are very open and honest with eachother, and we have even experimented sexually with other couples and other bisexual females.

As I posted in the general discussion forums, I have complestly lost interest in sex since my PCOS symptoms have progressed. At first I thought I was just having psycological problems, but I have now found a wonderful OBGYN/endocrinologist who recognozed and dx'ed my PCOS.

I am waiting for blood results and haven't started any kind of treatment yet, but one of the biggest distresses of all of this is my complete lack of attraction for both men and women. I feel like I am in some sort of strange zone where my once overly active sex drive and general interest in sex for eitther gender is totally gone, and I don't know if I'll ever return to what was normal for me.

I don't know if anyone out there has experieced this, but it would be comforting to hear from anyone who has experienced this. Before, I knew and understood my sexuality, and now I just feel lost

Working up to 1000mg met, 10 mg pred
Dxed on 8/16/08 and in the process of getting my insulin down (from 23) and glucose down (from 300).
candigrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

There are so many reasons why your sex drive has flown the coop - and I don't think being bisexual has anything to do with it. There could be many psychological factors (like feeling "unsexy" due to weight, pain, etc. to emotional upheavals from hormone imbalances), but if you believe that it's a physical reason, then trust your instincts.

The hormone imbalances were probably somewhat responsible for your higher drive to begin with, but they are probably now so far out of balance that you're getting the opposite reaction. Remember, it's not just testosterone levels that affects your sex drive, but the interplay of several different hormones.

To treat the PCOS, you should be treating the underlying Insulin Resistance that most of us have (sometimes un- or mis-diagnosed). There's info on that in the FAQ's stickys on most of the boards. Be careful about using anti-androgen meds, as that will lower your testosterone, and probably will keep your sex drive down. They are good for controlling excess hair, though, so you decide which one's more important to you.

For dealing with the lack of sex drive itself, there ARE a few things you can do to help. I am a Passion Parties representative, and I know of a few products that would most likely help (and I'm not just trying to push products here! One of the reasons I became a rep was because I could see people who needed help, and a company who had some great products!). PM me and I can give you the run-down on them.

Take care, and HTH!
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
candigrll

Default thanx!

I started thinking about some of the things you said, and it makes a lot of sense. Before all this happened, I wasn't exactly skinny, but I had great curves and I was very happy with my body, where now, I just feel like a lump of lard, lol!

I am hoping that a combination of weight loss and hormone balancing will get me back to normal. I'm not wanting to be a nympho or anything, I just want actully enjoy the thought of sex!

I have a dr's appt on the 11th, and hopefully he will get me on some meds that will help. After I get that in order, I will pm you for someother ideas.
Wish me luck, and thanks for the help!

Working up to 1000mg met, 10 mg pred
Dxed on 8/16/08 and in the process of getting my insulin down (from 23) and glucose down (from 300).
candigrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
imap1rate

You know, I've been having issues with my sex drive over the past few months as well. Mine correlate with the birth control I've been on. The doctor switched my birth control and I've had no libido for two months if not more. I stopped the pills two days ago and it was like a light went off down there! Are you on birth control or no? I've tried different birth controls over the years and I've gone from have an insatiable appetite to none at all depending on the birth control. You just have to find the right one.
imap1rate is offline   Reply With Quote