PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Lifestyle - Diet and Exercise

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
JessicaAnn

Default Newbie

Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with PCOS in December 2007 and have just really started realizing that I need to take it a little more seriously. I was put on Glucophage and Yaz, and now am taking Metformin and Yaz. I lost about 10 lbs. initially just by going on the medication and exercising... I didn't change my eating habits. My weight has gone up and down since then because I went off both meds for two or three months at the end of last year. I was feeling sick all the time and getting migraines and I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. I started taking the Yaz again in January and have been back on Metformin continuously for about a month or so. When I took it the first time, I had side effects for about three weeks but they went away just as my doctor said they would. This time I'm still experiencing side effects but I'm hoping they will ease up soon. I'm trying to be good about taking both Met pills every single day.

My initial weight in 2007 when I went on the meds (and again at the beginning of this year) was 225. I am now down to 212.8.

I started South Beach almost four weeks ago and I have lost about 6 lbs. It's pretty disappointing since most people drop a lot of weight right at the beginning (like my boyfriend, who really didn't need to lose weight in the first place and has now lost almost 20 lbs. I know men lose weight faster but give me a break!). I have done South Beach before and it didn't bother me but this time I am SO not into it, and it's kind of making me mental. I'm thinking about switching to Weight Watchers because I have always enjoyed their program.

My gyno was the one that diagnosed me in 2007 but when I went back for my annual at the beginning of this year I saw a nurse (my gyno was unavailable and I needed to renew my prescriptions) and she did not give me any blood work or anything like that, and didn't even mention my PCOS. Should I be seeing an endocrinologist?

So, that's me. I'm trying to stay hopeful about my weight loss progress and not let this thing (PCOS) keep me down. Man, it is hard work!

JessicaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Davelle Parchman

Well Jessica, you keep up the good work!!! Don't let the slow progress make you think you're not doing well. You have to find what works for you. As for the endo....my answer is for sure!!!! I didn't see one all the years I've dealt with this and I'm not sure of your age or anything but I wish I hadn't waited so long in my life to see the endo. Because this is a metabolic issue it has so much more to do with that than what I had ever realized. Make you a list of meds and questions and find you one in your area. I honestly don't think you'll regret it. See the stickies on the other forums, they have great info about the PCOS as a whole and any types of meds/supplements you might consider. I've found this site and the ladies here to be so supportive and very informative. Just to know that there is other woman out there going through the same thing is so helpful. Hang in there!!! And find you an endo!!!
Davelle Parchman is offline   Reply With Quote