PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Fertility

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
Guzadog

Default Laparoscopy, Ovarian drilling Diary

I had a laparoscopy on Thursday, July 17 which ended up in the removal of a twisted ovarian tube, my left ovary and a polyp. Ovarian drilling was done on my right ovary. I benefited before the operation from hearing about the experiences of others so thought I would post how it all went to help share some info.

Background - During my first vaginal ultrasound, it was difficult to spot my left ovary. A pelvic MRI revealed that the left ovarian structure seemed unusual and that the right ovary was polycystic. After blood tests and a pap smear (to rule out any PIDs), a laparoscopy was scheduled for July 17.

Pre-operative appointment - July 3

My RE explained that recovery to 100% would take about two weeks but that, normally, in about 4-5 days I would be able to resume most activity (but, if possible, to take two weeks or so off of work). He explained that I would need general anaesthesia and that I would stay in the hospital overnight (this is apparently standard here in Switzerland). During the surgery, he would examine the inside of my uterus and also do the "dye" test to check if the tubes were clear. An incision, of about half an inch, would be made just under my belly button and my stomach would be filled with gas. Two other incisions, very small ones, would be made on either side of my stomach. He would enlarge the opening under my bellybutton to allow access to my insides. We discussed what to do with the left tube if it was not repairable and I told him I would think about it but that I wanted whatever is medically best to be done.

Day before the operation

I had a light meal the night before and drank lots of water (mainly because I was worried about being dehydrated). Clear liquids (ie. tea/coffee/water) were allowed up to two hours before arrival at the hospital but I didn't have any. I packed a backpack with some toiletries, a nightgown (which I didn't end up using) and light reading.

Lead-up to the Operation

I had been asked to be at the hospital at 6:30am. My husband and I waited in the waiting room for about 10 minutes and then were taken upstairs to the maternity ward (sigh - just what a fertility challenged person needs - to be surrounded by pregnant women but that's apparently where my RE works out of and, to be fair, I didn't see any!).

At about 7am, a nurse came in and explained that I would be taken into the operating theatre at 7:30 and that I would need to shower first (they wanted me to use an Iodine based cleanser). She also explained that she would need to give me a shave and a laxative (um, not an oral one, but a liquid one). I was a bit surprised by this because my doctor hadn't mentioned it! (I should add that, while my doctor speaks English, it is his second language. Also, the hospital staff do not and his is taking place in french which is my second language and one I learned as an adult.).

The shaving was painless (they used clippers which clipped the hair in the nether regions very, very close). The laxative was fine if uncomfortable (but it was over in about 10 seconds) - you hold in the fluid for about 5 minutes, use the facilities and then take your shower.

I put on the hospital gown, made a futile attempt to tie it up in the back, put on a robe and sat down.

Pretty much promptly at 0730 two nurses came in, told me I should lie down on the bed and that they would transport me to the operating theatre.

When we arrived, the admitting nurse spoke with me, checked my name and we chatted. He then asked me to slide onto the operating table. Once I had, I was wheeled on it to the anaesthesia room where I met the anaesthesiologist. She explained that she would be putting in an IV and that I would only be put under after I saw my RE. A nurse came in, wrapped my legs in gauze and explained that there would be something on my legs to keep the circulation going and that the gauze would protect the skin.

My RE came in, we spoke about the tube and I told him to do whatever makes best medical sense. He gave me a reassuring pat, I was wheeled into the operating room, everyone said hello and that's all I remember ...

After the Operation

I woke up in the recovery room quickly and wide awake. They told me that the operation had taken about two hours. Because of the noise in the room (there was some construction work at the hospital) and because I was so awake, I was wheeled back to my room.

I couldn't sleep so I watched bad daytime TV and read trashy magazines. I didn't feel much pain, just discomfort and a full feeling in my belly. My shoulder, the right one, was very sore (from the gas escaping). During the day I received painkillers through the IV.

In the early afternoon, my bandages were changed and also the pad that I was wearing. I had bleed some into the pad (which was held in place by the most attractive pair of large mesh underwear!) but not a lot (less than regular period bleeding). (I figure this loss of dignity is all just practise for child birth right?).

One of the big surprises for me was the fact that I had a urinary catheter when I woke up! I found this uncomfortable but it was removed in the evening.

I was thirsty and hungry by the early afternoon. I was allowed to drink by about 2pm and ate dinner at 7pm. I went for a walk around the room (with my nurse) in the early afternoon. The worst part about my first solo trip to the bathroom that evening was bending!

The anaesthesiologist came in about 7pm and checked how I was doing and said that my doctor should come by soon. I had checked with the nurses a few times if they knew when he was coming but they didn't (and I'm not sure I was fully transmitting how anxious waiting was making me in french!). The anaesthesiologist explained that the operation had gone well. About the tube, she explained that my tube was very twisted and that the doctor had removed it and part of the ovary, but that the other tube was fine.

I didn't sleep during the night because I was feeling sore and it was hard to find a comfortable spot. They offered morphine if my pain was "severe" but it wasn't.

Day after the Operation - Friday, July 18

At about 7am a nurse came in and said they could remove the IV (yippee!). She asked if I wanted to shower (I still had a red tummy from the Iodine. She said she would come back with stuff to change the dressings after I showered (the dressings were waterproof).

After my shower, the nurse came and asked how my visit with the doctor went. This made me fairly upset as I had been anxious about not seeing him so I started to cry. She was very kind. I explained that I hadn't heard from the doctor at all since the operation and needed to know how the operation went. She was very surprised and said she was going to find him right away.

The doctor appeared a few minutes later explaining that he had come in the morning but was told that I was going to shower so he thought he should wait ... (I'm going to caulk this one up to natural Swiss reserve!). He explained that the dye test revealed one nicely healthy tube but that the left tube was twisted about four times around! This had resulted in a lack of blood flow to my left ovary. He removed both.

The twisted tube is strange because I had never severe pain in that area. I did had some problems with my urethra as a child and was hospitalized but had an ultrasound at the onset of puberty to check my ovaries and they had found them "fine" (of course, perhaps they couldn't tell with an external ultrasound?).

On the right ovary, the polycystic one, he did some ovarian drilling. He also explained that he removed a polyp in my uterus.

The doctor explained that I might bleed for about 4-5 days and that I was to avoid sex during this time (not hard to do when your belly feels a bit beat up!).

August is the traditional "holiday" month here and I will see him again on September 2. He thinks that with the ovarian drilling I have a good chance of ovulating (especially as I have lost weight and am now in the "normal" range for body fat). I'm to rest and relax from the stress of the surgery. If nothing has happened, I will get ovulation inducing drugs in September.

Recovery

The first two nights at home were the worst because lying on my side hurt. I managed to sleep on my side last night (night four after the operation). I stopped bleeding the second day but have some slight spotting. I took Tylenol a few times on the Friday afternoon, night and Saturday. By yesterday (Sunday), I could move around enough without strong discomfort to put in some laundry and sit at the computer.

My stomach is much less bloated today but I still feel like I have more of a "pot" than usual. The only area where I feel pain is the incision just underneath the naval.

I hope that the ovarian drilling will produce some results. I have mixed feelings about the loss of my ovary - on the one hand, I would much rather not have it if it's not doing anything as it could reduce the chances of problems with the tissue later (I probably sound a bit paranoid but my mother-in-law had ovarian cancer and my father had prostate cancer), on the other, of course, it feels like I've lost something important. Still, it's a relief to get the operation over with. Good luck to anyone going through the same thing!
Laparscopy & ovarian drilling July 17 2008
Guzadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
PunkinSpice
PCOStar!

Guza-I hope you are feeling better! You have truly shown how strong you are! I was looking to see the lasat time you posted as I havne't seen much from you lately and I spotted this. I'm glad you were able to share your experience with all of us. I hope you have a quick recovery!!!
Nicci: 15yrs old (foster-adopt)
K: 17yr old female (foster)

Yup-there's five of them now! LOL

PunkinSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:09 AM   #3
Guzadog

Thank you so much HottiegirlMSW! I'm doing well (it's day six after the surgery) and I have very little discomfort at all (mainly around the biggest stitch area at the belly button). Finding these boards has been such a great thing!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
bear2610

Guzadog-wow, I went to the RE yesterday and he said that I had incredible ovaries and they were perfect for Ovarian Drilling. I am so scared though. So scared. Your story was great and I willpray for awesome results!
AF 9/30
AF 11/5
AF 12/9

It is not a matter of IF we can get pregnant...It is a matter of WHEN.
bear2610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Guzadog

Dear Bear2610. I totally, totally understand how you feel - I was frightened too! It's been almost a week now since the surgery and I feel almost 100% - I would say about 80%. The pain has been really minimal and since a few days after the surgery I've been able to do light household chores, etc. with very little discomfort.

I am happy to answer any other questions you have if you send me a private message (which I think I'm set up so you can do through my profile).

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Bateb

Hello Guzadog,
Its 1 year now since you did the surgery, i must say, you have really made me understand what exactly i am getting into.But i have a very big fear, i ahev lost alot of blood from heavy bleeding i think i am aneamic.Wouldnt this affect my recovery or even my waking up after the surgery. Please if you can, help explain to me,what the effects could be.
Have you been able to get pregnant since then? I wish you have.
God bless you.
Bateb
Bateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
Guzadog

Bateb - I didn't see your message ... I didn't lose a lot of blood at all and I did, indeed, get pregnant! Our baby girl is due in 3 weeks! Good luck.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
wildflower
PCOSuperStar!

Guza - thought I remembered someone else on here who had their ovary removed. Thanks so much for writing out your experience. I recently had emergency surgery due to ovarian torsion and ended up having my right ovary and fallopian tube removed. At least I was aware this is what was going to happen prior to surgery and at that point just wanted the pain to stop. I'm glad to hear that you got preggo after the surgery. Did you find it easier to get preggo afterwards? I see you are due in a week. Hope all is well and wish you a speedy and healthy delivery.

wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
littledragon804
PCOStar!

I haven't been around much but saw this post and had to say, Guza, you're so great for writing your experience for others to refer to. You're so strong, and I wish you healthiest labor and delivery.
3 years of TTC, many IUI's, injections, chemical preg.
Feb/March 11 -IVF #1 -37 at ER 26 Fert. Severe OHSS, BFN, fragmentation/vacuules in most embies
May-FET #1 - Chem preg
Sep - IVF #2- Menopur, Gonal, Lupron, 19eggs, 9fert.
BFP 10/7 -Twin Boys! Born at 20 weeks, incompetent cervix

littledragon804 is offline   Reply With Quote