PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Moms

Notices

Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
brow9930

Default Cinnamon and Breastfeeding

I just picked up a bottle of cinnamon tablets because my PCOS symptoms seem to have returned on me, but I noticed on the side of the bottle it says not to take it if breastfeeding...anyone have any idea why? Is anyone taking cinnamon while breastfeeding? I was hoping to try this again (I think it worked for me before getting pregnant) before talking to the doctor about medication options....
brow9930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
katydidnt1
PCOSuperStar Platinum!

Send a message via AIM to katydidnt1

My guess is becuase Cinnamon has an estrogen like effect and estrogen kills milk supply. That's why you can't take the regular pill while nursing. Just my guess though!

Katie

katydidnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
skusisto
PCOSuperStar Platinum!

I believe that wildflower did take cinnamon while bf'ing, but at a very low dose... only 500mg or something like that. She didn't start taking it until later though (near or around when her son turned 1), so a supply drop probably wouldn't have been that big of a deal... and I don't know that we ever got much feedback from her about it.

I did take a quick look at kellymom and didn't find anything about regular cinnamon (cassia or chinese cinnamon was stated as safe...) But this was the general "herbal safety" info...
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/herbal_safety.html

skusisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
brow9930

Thank you...I'll try keeping the dose low and watch my milk supply. I was on domperidone for awhile to increase my supply so I could start up on that again if I start having issues I guess.
brow9930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
skusisto
PCOSuperStar Platinum!

If you have issues, you may just want to talk with the doc about metformin... some think it's ok for bf'ing, while others prefer not to have you on it... and it's actually also supposed to help supply for us PCOS'ers...

Old 04-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
skusisto
PCOSuperStar Platinum!

I also remembered that wild had posted this question on the alternative therapies board...

http://www.pcoscommunity.com/showthr...light=cinnamon

Old 05-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
wildflower
PCOSuperStar!

I did start taking it around when Hayden turned one. I didn't notice any difference in my supply, of course, I stopped pumping around the same time so it would have been hard to say if it reduced my supply. But I know that I still have milk and BFing is still going strong for us. He's BFing enough that my cycles haven't yet returned and I can still feel a let down when he nurses.

I felt that the Cinnamon helped a bit with my IR symptoms, but not completely. I am still taking 500mg/day. I just had an appt with my doc and he didn't say anything of concern about taking it while nursing. He was also a bit curious about how it helped with my IR as well. I was supposed to have a GTT on Monday, but had to cancel the appt, so I'm not sure how much the Cinnamon is really helping.

wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote