PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > Administrative Items > Discussion Board Rules

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
waltedaw

Default hysterectomy and PCOS

So I have a question. I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 or so years ago. I've used fertility for my daughter and I'm now insulin resistant. My question is...If I have a hysterectomy will all the PCOS issues go away?
waltedaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Davelle Parchman

Unfortunately not! This is how I even found this forum to begin with was checking for that same info. If you have heavy cycles and all that sort of thing of course it will make those issues go away, but NOT the underlying issues of PCOS. Since it is a metabolic issue you will still have all of those things that accompany that. I thought the same thing until finding this site and finally seeing an endo.
Davelle Parchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Davelle is absolutely right! PCOS is really a metabolic issue that happens to have gyno symptoms. Getting rid of your "lady parts" will only get rid of symptoms directly related to them (ie: heavy periods, etc.), and can, in fact, cause other symptoms like throwing you into menopause! We do have HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy), but new studies have come out showing that it's not exactly as safe as we once thought. In fact, they had to cut the studies short because the results were so bad, it was unethical to keep up the study!!!

In the end, too, you still have the Insulin Resistance, which is directly related to increased cholesterol and blood pressure levels, and can develop into Type II Diabetes if it's not treated. If, on the other hand, you DO treat the IR, it's likely that many of your PCOS symptoms may start to fade and your body should start re-balancing itself.

Be sure to read the FAQ's sticky under the General Discussion Board. There's a TON of information there about PCOS, and what you can do about it!

Take care, and HTH!!! (((HUGS)))
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
beachbum

Default hysterectomy???????

i have a question about PCOS and hysterectomy too. i have had PCOS since i was a teenager (before they really knew anything about it) my symptoms were mostly excess body hair and random periods. of course i kept those regulated with BC. when i got married, i went off the BC to get pregnant. we have been trying for 4 years now. we did some fertility drugs and such, but the drugs made me crazy and the $ was an issue. i have in the last couple of years lost some weight and my periods were regular (at least regular for me, every 40 days). in feb i didnt have one. well, i started cramping in march and thought, oh, im about to start. well, i didnt. the cramping started to be every day and i never started. this went on for a couple of months and i called my OBGYN, she gave me Provera, normally i start before i finish all the pills, but i never did.

i went in for my regular yearly in August. still cramping every day and they are progressively getting worse and feel bloated constantly. she says its just because i havent had a period, dont worry about it. she totally blew me off. afew days later a nurse called and said my pap came back abnormal, but not to worry, they would see me in Feb instead of August to make sure its ok. i was like, umm.. what about all of these other symptoms i have going on as well. they just said, its ok. its not related.

in september i finally get so freaking sick that i went to a reproductive endo and he is checking everything out. he did a pelvic ultrasound and said there was a spot on my ovary but that just goes along with PCOS (which during all of my fertility issues there was never one there). and he did a ton of bloodwork, he said that it came back with my testosterone levels more than double what they should be and that my DHEAs were normal. my blood sugar was good, its always good. hasnt been an issue. everytime i go in and he says ill see you in 2 weeks or 3 weeks, i just cry because i am so miserable and this has litteraly taken over my life. and 3 more weeks is a lifetime.

anyway this last time after looking at my bloodwork and knowing a little bit more about what is going on he is suggesting to be pretty radical and get rid of everything (im not quite sure what that meant- but im assuming he means pretty much all of my insides- lol) he said that i was an extreme case and thinks it might be best.

at this point we have given up on having kids on our own and want to do whatever it takes to get me feeling better and back to having a life.

i have cramps everyday all day long, i cant stand or walk for more than 5 minutes without needing to grab onto some thing to help me walk, im exhausted all the time, bloated beyond belief and my bellly feels like its swollen. none of my clothes fit from 2 months ago (just my belly area) im soo tired of being in pain.

is there anybody else out there that can relate and what do you think about a hysterectomy?

my mom went through a lot of the same and had one when she was about my age, she also had ovarian and uterine cancer as well as breast cancer. but she said that she felt like a new person after her hysterectomy.

please, commments or suggestions!
beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
elliep

Smile

Beach Bum, I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I can totally relate to the frustration. I had a period for 45+ days and gained 25 lbs. My fatigue kept me from living my life, just like your cramping did. Spent a lot of time in drs offices to be told there's nothing wrong with me. Finally cortisol showed up as being high, so went to endo. It's so frustrating, spending all this time in drs offices. I feel for you. I hope you find answers soon.
ellie
Old 11-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
sweetsunshine72
PCOSuperStar!

Beach Bum - I am so sorry that you're going through all of this!!!

PCOS does not usually cause this much pain! It is really a metabolic issue that happens to have some gyno symptoms, so while removing your "parts" would get rid of the symptoms directly related to those "parts" (which sounds like it would provide some relief), it wouldn't "cure" you, and you would still have issues to deal with, as well as dealing with instant menopause. You would still likely have very high levels of testosterone, too, as it's not just the ovaries that make it, but the adrenal glands, too.

Before making a decision like this, I would highly recommend going to an endocrinologist and getting a thorough assessment from him. There are also other conditions that can mimic PCOS, too. It's important to figure out what's really going on, so you can get treatment that will actually WORK! If it's not your ovaries or uterus that's causing the problem, then taking them out won't actually solve anything. Also, sometimes there's a (relatively) simple treatment that will work really well, without resorting to surgery.

There are other possible causes of your cramping - IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and Celiac's Disease are much more common with Insulin Resistance (main cause/trigger of PCOS) and diabetes, therefore PCOS. Also, did they pinpoint the source of the pain? Did they do a laparoscopy for endometriosis (which can also be a bit more common for us Cysters, and can be very painful)? Do you have any large cysts (different from the mini-cysts common with PCOS, which usually aren't painful)? Did you take anything (Provera) to kick-start a period? (Sometimes you do need a second round.) Did they measure your uterine lining?

Honestly, if any doctor suggested a hysterectomy, I would automatically get a second opinion! It would really be a shame if you had everything taken out, still had problems, and found out that you would have felt so much better just by avoiding wheat and gluten!

Hang in there, hon! (((HUGS)))
www.massageforlifenb.com

Also:
DS (1992)
Diagnosed PCOS 1994
Cannot tolerate BCP
No treatment for 12 years
Now, Metformin 1,500 mg/day, Fish Oil, D3, good multi
sweetsunshine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
pcosmommy30

Angry

I do have been thinking seriously of having a hysterectomy. I definitely have something wrong with my ovaries. My stuff's junk basically. I'm 30. This shouldn't be happening. I'm taking small comfort in the fact that I was able to conceive 4 1/2 years ago, but I don't want my daughter an only child. Unless I'm stupid enough to get married a second time to someone that already has kids, she won't have brothers and sisters and that's devestating too. I was diagnosed on November 24. I've been eating my pain away with sweets and of course, the holidays don't make it any easier. I don't care if I get fatter. I'm feeling really depressed and have no energy. I'm on a birth control pill so my period will be more regular though I don't care if I ever have one again. I've always thought they were a royal pain in the ass.
pcosmommy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
jncstevens

Hi everyone.

I was diagnosed with PCOS on 12/1 and the doctor also did a Endometrial biopsy. She called yesterday with the results. I also now have Complex Hyperplasia with atypia. She gave me two options, one of which is a hysterectomy. I am not wanting anymore children, but am sacred to have surgery. I am obese and other than my one c-section have never had surgery. I am feeling stupid for not seeing the doctor sooner. I am have been able to stop the hyperplasia from getting to precancerous. I also wish I would have been diagnosed with PCOS sooner. I have read every ones posts and I totally understand what you all are feeling. I am glad I have found others like me. It helps.
jncstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 AM   #9
rschmid78

Default I just had a hysterectomy

I wanted to reply about the hysterectomy and PCOS. I just had a partial last month. I had my left ovary removed and uterus but i still hae my right ovary and cervix. I'm feeling fantastic compared to how i did before i was in so much pain all the time have to be absent from work at leat three days each month due to my pain or almost hemmoraging when i did have a period. Huge releive for me. Although PCOS is not cured by the hysterectomy i now feel like i have the starting of a new life. I will now hae the ability to be more active which will help my weight issues. But bottom line is that PCOS neer goes away you can only take steps to improve it. I am currently working on just that. My surgery was done laprascopically so i only had four small incisions in my stomach. It's only been 4 weeks and they are all healed. In fact i even worked out on my ellipticle machine last night for about 15 mins.
rschmid78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
lanise2010

Unhappy PCOS Stinks!!!

Im 30 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS 10 years ago. I was so hoping a hysterectomy would fix my problems, I know it would fix the non stop heavy periods. But is there anything that will help with the excess facial hair or the thinning hair i have experienced or the skin tags? I am so tired of having PCOS.I was led to believe by my GYN that it was an infertility problem and not really anything else, I just wish it would go away! After reading everyones posts i can see the hysterectomy wont fix everything and that stinks! However what can be done about the excess male hormones, and the adrenal glands? Anything?
lanise2010 is offline   Reply With Quote