PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Lifestyle - Diet and Exercise

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
kasey

Default HCG Weight Loss Plan

My Dr has recommended the HCG Weight Loss Plan. Anyone does this? Success stories? Horror stories?

I've googled and searched, but not found enough answers. I have a consultation soon for the program, but was looking for some real-life, first hand advice.

Thanks!
kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Oreosmom

Some woman at my work was telling me about this she did the diet and has lost like 45lbs in just 3-4 months or something. I can't imagine sticking to the low calorie and ultra healthy food part of though. Good luck!
TTC #2 since 5/1/08
9/10 Repronex, Ovidrel, u/s, b/w, IUI and prog BFP 9/26/2010

Oreosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
august

I've done 3 rounds of the HCG Diet and lost about 35 lbs and I'm pretty happy about that (that number is a little deceptive because I'm measuring from the first day of the HCG assisted VLCD which was preceded by 3 very successful days of "loading" - which is required and where you eat plenty of high fat food (plus whatever else you might like) for at least 2 day). I found YouTube to be an excellent jumping off place for finding information and other support groups specifically for HCG Dieters. Probably the best information about the diet is still the original manuscript for the HCG Protocol, Pounds and Inches, By Dr Simeons (here is a link to an online copy: http://www.hcginfoonline.com/ORIGINA...and_Inches.htm).

I did have a little trouble with my gallbladder during my 2nd round (just pain in my case - I did not have to have it removed) - that is one of the possible risks that Dr Simeons specifically mentions in Pounds and Inches - I think you have to approach the decision to do the HCG Diet (or not) as an important medical decision.

I hope you make the right decision for you!

Last edited by august; 03-25-2010 at 03:10 PM.
august is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
mechelley

Exclamation HCG questionable

HCG sounds great to most because you do have dramatic weight loss, but I caution people because you are only consuming a minimal amount of calories 500 or so and you arent getting enough of your daily vitamins/fat/protein etc. Whatever your decision good luck
mechelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
august

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechelley View Post
HCG sounds great to most because you do have dramatic weight loss, but I caution people because you are only consuming a minimal amount of calories 500 or so and you arent getting enough of your daily vitamins/fat/protein etc. Whatever your decision good luck
Yes admittedly the HCG Diet is very Controversial! Using HCG for the purpose of weight loss/diet is very controversial . . . Very Low Calorie Diets (such as the 500 calorie a day VLCD that the HCG Diet protocol call for) are very Controversial.

If you are still looking for information about it, there are a few thread on the subject on Soul Cysters http://www.soulcysters.net/forum.php. Here is a link to my HCG Diet blog: http://www.soulcysters.net/blog.php?u=8190
Old 06-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Jennater

My husband has done the HCG diet, a couple of rounds of it and he loses weight but it sure comes back fast when you go off cycle. Also, the place he is going to said that they would not allow me to do it because I have PCOS and HCG can cause OHSS in women with PCOS so therefore it would be a health risk for me. I did find I could lose weight by basically eating what he ate but making sure I got at least 1500 calories a day. Eating the type of foods for the diet seems to work for me so I'm still not convinced if it is really the HCG that helps with weight loss or if it is just the limited diet.

Just my observations.
three fur babies (Abbey (schnauzer), Wicket (Shih Tzu), Princess Buttercup (chihuahua mix))
Glutmetza 1000 MG <-- Stopped due to side effects on 6/16/2012

Jennater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
august

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennater View Post
My husband has done the HCG diet, a couple of rounds of it and he loses weight but it sure comes back fast when you go off cycle.
Did he stay on the VLCD for 72 hrs after the last HCG dose and then follow the "no sugar, no starch" rule for at least the first 3 weeks after the weight loss phase? I have the impression that that's pretty important - so I've always tried really hard to follow the "no sugar, no starch" rule (and the other rules for after the weight loss phase like weighing everyday and doing correction days/steak days as needed). I had extremely excellent luck "stabilizing" my weight after my first round . . . and decent luck for my other rounds . . . not counting when I "loaded" for a new round, I think I've always been able to maintain within 4 lbs of the weight I was on the last day I took HCG - the goal is to stay within 2 lbs and I have gone over that and had to do "steak days" (more that I would like - and I have not been able to add back in as may carbs as I would like - even after the 3 weeks of "no sugar, not starch") but basically I have been able to maintain my losses pretty well . . . for example, today I was 1.2 lbs up from my weight the last day I took HCG and I've been off it for 84 days (I think plus the 72hrs) . . . I would have to say that being able to "stabilize" and "reset" after the weight loss phase - has been my favorite part of the whole thing! I sort of think there might be something to the "resetting" and "stabilizing" that Dr Simeons talks about.

Last edited by august; 06-03-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
august

Article re: Prion in u-HCG (the type of protein that cause CJD [human mad cow disease]

Detection of Prion Protein in Urine-Derived Injectable Fertility Products by a Targeted Proteomic Approach

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0017815

Keywords: Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), urinary human chorionic gonadotropin (u-hCG), recombinant products
Old 06-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
beccalandon

I'm not trying to bash anyone who wants to do this diet, but I think that the HCG itself is meant to be in your body only when you're pregnant, otherwise it would be a normal hormone. I know a woman who did go on this diet and she lost weight very quickly, but an endocrinologist told her to go off it so that they could get a baseline panel done. As soon as she stopped she was very hungry and has gained about 20lbs back so far (only a few months). I know that fast weightloss is very tempting, but the recommended amount of weight to lose per week is 1-2lbs. I've been able to lose 45+ lbs so far by excercising, eating healthy, and eating about 120 carbs a day with as many vegetables, protein and healthy fats as I want. I find that this is good for me, since I really don't like counting calories. Also, if you have children, especially any older daughters I would recommend staying away from "diets" and try for a less drastic lifestyle change, I think that fixation on weight can really affect young girls. Just my two cents
beccalandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #10
nursehev27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennater View Post
My husband has done the HCG diet, a couple of rounds of it and he loses weight but it sure comes back fast when you go off cycle. Also, the place he is going to said that they would not allow me to do it because I have PCOS and HCG can cause OHSS in women with PCOS so therefore it would be a health risk for me. I did find I could lose weight by basically eating what he ate but making sure I got at least 1500 calories a day. Eating the type of foods for the diet seems to work for me so I'm still not convinced if it is really the HCG that helps with weight loss or if it is just the limited diet.

Just my observations.
What is OHSS?
nursehev27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hcg