PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Pregnancy > First Trimester

Notices

Old 03-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
minipie

Default Bleeding after sex in first trimester

Hi everyone. I need some advice!

I am 6 weeks pregnant, and so far everything seems to be okay. I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks 3 days that showed the gestational sac and yolk sac, measuring perfect for dates. No spotting or any red flags. Until today that is.

My husband and I had sex and afterward I noticed some light, bright red spotting. It really didn't last long. I have a liner on now and it has all but stopped. My first reaction was to start crying. I am so afraid that I am going to lose the pregnancy, and my poor husband feels awful and is afraid that he "killed the baby." Of course we both know that if we do lose it, it is not his fault and has nothing to do with sex, but we're both feeling emotionally raw.

I'm going to call my OB tomorrow morning, but in the mean time (to try to stay sane) I thought I would ask you all if this is something you have experienced? Is this normal or should I be preparing myself for a loss?

Thank you all in advance!
Frederik born 2/19/2013

minipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
esarah
PCOSuperStar Platinum!

It can be very upsetting but bleeding after sex is a pretty common thing during pregnancy. If it stops and doesn't come back, I would try not to be too worried about it. Talking with your doctor will hopefully help ease your mind. More than half of my friends have had this happen without any problems.

I hope that all is well and, from my experiences, it probably will be!
Taylor 4
Mark 2
Luke 1
16 Angel Babies
esarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
jessicaileen
PCOSuperStar!

minipie - I had an u/s when I was 6.5 weeks pregnant and the day after the u/s, I started to bleed. I went to the bathroom, had a bowel movement and when I wiped, there was bright red blood all over the toilet paper. Of course, I freaked! I bleed off and on but very lightly for about an hour and had some cramping and then just spotted. It was bright red and by the second day the blood got darker and by day 3 or 4, it stopped. We did go to the ER and they did an u/s and the baby was fine and HB was good too. I was still afraid I'd lose the baby. When I finally got to talk to my RE after the weekend, they said it's normal to get spotting early in pregnancy and mine was probably heavier because of the u/s the day before and it irritated my cervix. So long story short - the cervix is where the blood was coming from and not my uterus so the baby ended up being fine and since then I've had no issues and I'm 24 weeks!

My RE said as long as you aren't cramping really bad or bleeding enough to fill a pad an hour, then your baby is probably just fine and it was probably just cervix irritation. If you have any more questions - just ask!

TI, IUIs...nothing worked, 2 Fresh IVFs + 2 FETs = 2 negatives and 2 miscarriages....then on the 5th attempt at IVF....
Oct 2009 - FET 10/27/09 = BFP! - Camden Charles born 7/7/10
6th IVF transfer....
Oct 2011 - FET 10/19/11 = BFP! - Austin Jules born 7/1/12
jessicaileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Robyn147

Hey Minipie,

I haven't experienced anything like this but after your post I went straight to my "What to expect" book to read up on it for you. This is straight out of the book:
"The mouth of the uterus also becomes engorged during pregnancy... this means that deep penetration can occasionally cause spotting". (although they mention this is usually later in pregnancy)
Of course, I think the best thing to do is go in to see your dr as soon as possible to make sure everything is still alright. But until you get in to see the dr, don't freak out too much. Especially if the bleeding has stopped already. In the meantime, I would suggest that you not do any strenuous physical activity, just in case (not that I'm a dr, but bed rest is often prescribed when there is any worry about the baby, so it seems an obvious step to take).

And like you said, it's not your fault. Having sex (not rough sex, obviously) is normal and does not harm your baby (they mention that specifically). I am sure everything is fine. On the slim chance that something is not, then there's nothing you could do about it anyway. Your DH definitely did NOT kill the baby (God forbid!).

DH and I also have slept together several times since learning about the pregnancy and I am a bit nervous each time. He doesn't place his weight on me and if I feel even slightly uncomfortable then we stop and change positions. In fact, just this week I looked it up in my "What to Expect" book and it specifically said that having sex is good and the baby can't feel a thing.

9.10 - Baby Jonathan was born on September 25th, 2010!

Robyn147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
minipie

Thank you all so much! After a good cry, I am feeling a bit more calm, and your responses certainly helped put my mind a bit at ease. The good thing is that the bleeding was really very minimal and has stopped, and I don't have any cramps or anything.

Sarah, thank you so much for the reassurance. It's nice to hear personal accounts that ended well!

Jessica, your experience sounds terrifying! I am so glad to hear that everything is going well. I hope it continues to do so!

Robyn, thank you so much for looking that up for me. That is so sweet of you! My poor husband was really shaken and felt so guilty, but I think he is feeling better now. It's not his fault at all, and the last thing in the world I want is for him to feel guilty!

Pregnancy is so scary, isn't it? I don't know when we'll be able to relax! How on earth did pregnant women cope with this insanity before message boards?

I have an ultrasound appointment on Thursday when we'll (hopefully) see the baby's heartbeat. I will update the outcome either way, as this thread might be helpful to other women in the future.

Thanks so much again. You are all lifesavers!
Frederik born 2/19/2013

Old 05-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
caber

Oh my, thank goodness for this thread.
I am 7 weeks, and 4 days pregnant. Up until this point everything has been great. My husband and I had sex, and there was some light blood there. Well, I went straight into panic mode, and had to come to this discussion board right away. I am relieved after reading this post - whew. Okay, I am not the only one, and it appears to be normal unless the bleeding continues.
Thank you everyone!
caber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
minipie

caber, I'm glad that we could help you! I am now nearly 12 weeks and everything thankfully seems to be fine. I've had several ultrasounds since the post-sex bleeding episode that have shown a nice strong heart beat and growing baby. Hope all goes well for you! Good luck!
Frederik born 2/19/2013