PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 05-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
mary14

Default Thin PCOS?

Hi
I just came back from the doc who said i most likely have "Thin PCOS" (i guess b/c i am not overweight)..although she says can't give a definitive diagnosis until i'm completely off my birth control pills.
another doc had told me i had pcos based on my fsh/lh ratio..
anyway this doc today took me off metformin but now i wonder "what if i'm insulin resistant" and don't know it?
any other "Thin" PCOSers out there who can share their experiences??
i'm confused.
many thanks!!
mary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
daybyday

I am a thin pcos'er. My doc just put me on metformin 500 mg to help regulate my periods. Research has shown that it can help regulate periods and reduce symptoms in thin women also. I do also take yasmin, which I am suppose to go off of to see if the metformin will do the job of inducing a period. When I do not take yasmin I get terrible acne, hair growth, and I do gain weight fast, however only about 10 lbs. When I go back on the yasmin, the weight melts off, I have absolutely no acne and the hair growth lessens. Hopefully the metformin alone will work. I would speak to your doctor again about staying on the metformin. Is she a gyn or an endo? I see an endo. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
mdgirl12

Default LEAN PCOSers UNITE!!

Hey there, I have lean PCOS as well. 112 lbs 5'4. HOrrible facial hair, thick head of hair (no thinning) but my LH and FSH was 3.5 : 1 or something like that. Hardly ever get my period, depression, anxiety. No doctor cares because I am not in the position to have children. metformin worked great, but it is too high maintence for me right now so im about to start the pill.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
jessgetz

Send a message via Yahoo to jessgetz

I am thin PCOS as well. I was just recently dx'd because my DH and I are TTC. My dr started me on progestrone meds so AF would show up...then clomid from cd5-cd9, HCG shot (trigger shot) and I've been on 500mg of Met the entire time. My dr seems to think that I will be able to get pg fairly quick...I will be testing next week to see if the first round works. Before we were TTC, I was on Yasmin which helped with the facial hair, acne, etc. Hope this helps.
TTC for #2
Tyler Martin born 2/26/07 @ 8 PM

jessgetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #5
cvalentine

I'm a thin PCOS-er too. (Okay, well, I'm not thin right now, but I was before I got pg!) I weighed about 115 lbs, and I'm 5'0". My dr only put me on bc (Yasmin) to regulate my periods and to help with excess hair. They really didn't start "caring" about my PCOS until we started ttc, which I think was a mistake on them and on me for not being more proactive.
Me - 27 DH - 30
cvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
penners
PCOStar!

Send a message via AIM to penners

I'm another thin cyster. 5'4", 120lbs.
I'm currently on 1500mg Metformin ER and a multi-vitamin. I was on BCP for 11 years until last summer when I got off to TTC. That's when I was diagnosed.

I will stay on Met until the end of my 1st trimester (assuming I can get pregnant) but am not sure what I will do after that.
I could go back on the pill only or I could stay off the pill and take Met again. Both have drawbacks so I'll have to decide on that later.

BCP (for sure) and Met (mostly) help with my symptoms: irregular cycles, acne, a few dark, thick chin hairs and poly-cystic ovaries (haven't had an u/s since taking the Met so I'm not sure if it helps that or not).
1500mg is the therapeutic level of Met for PCOSers. My understanding is that anything below 1500mg has not been medically proven to help.

Sofia Rose; 7lb 14oz; 21 in
(Metformin, Clomid, Ovadril)
MC#1 06/29/09
penners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:18 AM   #7
newtoPCOS

I am also a thinner PCOS. I am 5"5 and 125 pounds but I actually watch what I eat. I also have very mild PCOS symptoms mainly irregular periods, polycystic ovaries, and I crave suger and carbs. My doc didn't even believe me till she did the ultrasound.

MDgirl12 I know exactly what you mean about the doctors not taking you seriously till TTC. It really shouldn't be that way I went through that during 10 years of irregular periods and no doctor cared. Now I wish I had know cause of the high risk of Diabettes

cvalentine- being a thin PCOS was it easier to concieve

I though if we had PCOS we were isulin resistant. My understanding was that our pcos is caused by insulin resistance.
#1 Logan Cloud 2-2-07 Clomid, IUI, Cinnamon, Low Carb Diet
#2 Jayden Edge 11-28-10 Cinnamon, Low Carb Diet
TTC #3 Gluten Free Low Carb diet, Cinnamon
newtoPCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
mdgirl12

Well my doctor said I show no insulin resistance at all. even though i did receive benefits from met!

oh well im trying the pill till im ttc.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #9
dbond

Default An me to the list

I'm in my late 20s and have been aware of my PCOS since I was about 16 years old. I am 5'3 and weigh 115.

Though I am relatively thin, I work out three times a week and am somewhat careful with what I eat. I find that my weight fluctuates quickly so it's something I have to watch for.

None of my doctors have been too concerned about my PCOS and their unhelpful advices have been dissapointing.

I live with it by enjoying not having my period often (yay!), getting waxed every month, and considering adoption for the future. I have found however that my period are more regular now that I'm past my teen years. Seems like everyone's a little different :wink:
Old 05-22-2006, 01:06 AM   #10
newtoPCOS

dbond - You know its funny you say that about weight fluctuates. I have experienced the same thing also. I typically don't weight myself so I never knew how much but I have been going through infertility so I see the doctor alot and I have been weighting myself when I go in and I am seeing like an 8 pound fluxuation. My weight goes up and down like a yo yo. Anyway it was nice reading you post. Although having PCOS I am sure has given you some problems you sound very positive. Its nice to hear.
#1 Logan Cloud 2-2-07 Clomid, IUI, Cinnamon, Low Carb Diet
#2 Jayden Edge 11-28-10 Cinnamon, Low Carb Diet
TTC #3 Gluten Free Low Carb diet, Cinnamon
newtoPCOS is offline   Reply With Quote