PCOSupport Community Forums  

Go Back   PCOSupport Community Forums > PCOSA Forums > Lifestyle - Diet and Exercise

Notices

Old 09-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
chickenlady

Default For those on a gluten/wheat free diet....

How do you do this diet and do low carb eating. We are not supposed to eat potatoes or rice but if you don't eat gluten what is left. Yes, brown rice but not many things that are made with rice are made with brown rice. Low carb eating is already so restricting how much worse can it get by adding the no gluten/wheat thing to it? Just wondering what people do.
chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
Linda Kaye

Default gluten free diet...

This diet is hard, isn't it? My Dr told me that I can't have: maltodextrin (which is in everything), food with a lot of fat, no flour, no sugar, no potatoes and no rice. So that leaves, what, grass and water!
I did really well for the first month or, but these last 2 have been not so great. Its hard not to cheat when an oatmeal cream pie is staring you in the face, lol!
I can tell you this, I am on 1500 mg Glumetza, and maltodextrin really makes me sick. KFC is also out, pretty much anything with high fructose corn syrup. I can eat almost all veggies, except the ones that have a lot of natural sugar, like carrots and corn (the source of maltodextrin). Same thing with fruits, but I can tolerate strawberries and a little melon. Hang in there, and if you cheat, try to do it in moderation. I eat a lot of salads, and I drink Soy milk, which really isn't too bad. Plain Cheerios in the morning aren't bothering me too much.
I'm not gonna lie, this is the hardest diet I've ever been on, and I do cheat more than I should ops: , but I've lost about 25 lbs in 3 months. You can do it!! If you happen to know of a light ice cream that does not have Maltodextrin, I'd be happy to hear it. Good luck!
Femara, Bravelle and Ovidrel
IUI on Sat and Easter Sunday
Keeping our fingers crossed! Come on, BFP!!
Linda Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
slightly
PCOStar!

My mom has to eat gluten free and I have a friend who must as well. Here is a recipe I got from my friend to give to my mom:

Oatmeal Pancakes, good for breakfast on the run:
1 Cup oatmeal (Old Fashioned)
1 Cup Cottage cheese (I use 1%)
6 Egg Whites
1/4 cup of Agave or comparable sweetener
1tsp of vanilla
2 tsp of cinnamon

Blend the ingredients in the blender and allow to sit overnight or full day, then make as you would normal pancakes on the griddle.

I usually double or triple the batch and store them in the fridge.

Also, I know that you can get gluten-free bread from the some company that makes the ezekiel bread I eat which I' buy at Hyvee and Whole Foods: http://www.foodforlife.com/

HTH!!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:08 AM   #4
BAC38(Brittany)
PCOStar!

You guys, good carbs are okay! As long as you are eating whole grains and no processed sugar or high sugar fruits, you will lose weight! I was on that diet for three weeks and lost about 20 pounds.
Don't kill yourselves. You need fiber and energy and other good things that you get from whole grains. You just don't get them from white food.

Blessings

LaPhotoSongerie.com
Portraits by Brittany A. Callender

Brittany (24)
Brian (29)
Mason Jäger (September 28, 2008)

BAC38(Brittany) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
slightly
PCOStar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAC38(Brittany)
You guys, good carbs are okay! As long as you are eating whole grains and no processed sugar or high sugar fruits, you will lose weight! I was on that diet for three weeks and lost about 20 pounds.
Don't kill yourselves. You need fiber and energy and other good things that you get from whole grains. You just don't get them from white food.

Blessings
FYI - Some people are allergic to gluten, and its almost impossible to find whole grain stuff without wheat/gluten in it. For people who just have the gluten intolerance or allergy, they can find foods (rice bread/crackers, corn chips), but add that to PCOS, and it gets hard due to our need to stay away from "bad" carbs.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
BAC38(Brittany)
PCOStar!

Oops, I forgot about gluten allergies ops: Well, aside from the gluten allergies, whole grains should be okay.

Bb

LaPhotoSongerie.com
Portraits by Brittany A. Callender

Brittany (24)
Brian (29)
Mason Jäger (September 28, 2008)

BAC38(Brittany) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
CathyB

One of my friends is allergic to gluten. She found gluten free mac and cheese and even cake mix. I didn't look at the box but i'm sure it's not good for PCOS. There are a lot of gluten free alternatives but it's finding the ones that are pcos friendly too.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
ocotillo

Default Gluten and PCOS

This is an old thread, but I came to it because I've found I'm reacting to gluten, and in the process of learning about that, I read that some (many?) women with PCOS see their PCOS symptoms improve on a gluten-free diet - i.e., in some cases a gluten reaction (which can affect fertility, cause acne ...) is misdiagnosed as PCOS.

Fr. http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art1507.asp

"Smith said that 85% of her PCOS clients test positive for a sensitivity to gluten. When these women remove gluten from their diets they often see a marked improvement in their PCOS symptoms. She has also seen dramatic improvement in cholesterol levels, thyroid function and weight loss in women who have changed their diets to avoid gluten.

Smith recommends that women who suffer from gluten sensitivity avoid gluten containing foods including hidden gluten such foods as soy sauce, teas and foods containging barley malt, vegetable protein made from wheat gluten, and beer. Don't just replace the high glutne grains with more starchy or sugary foods though or you run the risk of developing insulin resistance. Instead, focus on fresh vegetables."

See also http://www.soulcysters.net/gluten-fr...-others-31043/
ocotillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
Guzadog

There are alternatives to wheat/gluten but it can take some effort:

- spelt flour (some people with gluten/wheat sensititives can tolerate it); it's a great whole grain flour and delicious for making pancakes etc.
- quinoa and other different grains
- wild rice (the kind that is really a grass)
- brown, unprocessed rice
- lentil/bean flours / pastes
- nut flours

I found just doing a scan of shelves at my local health food store was really helpful. We found different grains that we would never have thought of eating (like this red one which I can't remember the name but is delicious).

Good luck!
Laparscopy & ovarian drilling July 17 2008
Guzadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
splashsmama

Send a message via AIM to splashsmama Send a message via MSN to splashsmama Send a message via Yahoo to splashsmama

ocotillo,
Thanks so much for posting this article. This article rings so true for me.
My chiropractor, who is also into healing one's self based on their diet and the proper supplements, everytime she's designed a food list for me, she always puts a huge emphasis on how I need to stay completely away from wheat. I really had no reason why; I've suffered from a chronic yeast problem so I thought she wanted me to stay away from wheat because of the yeast.
If gluten sensitivity is the main source of my problem, it would make so much sense why none of the PCOS medication never works for me.
It wasn't until recently that I changed my diet. I went on a body detox in January and again in April. It's 3 weeks of nothing but fruits, vegetables, water, and supplements. If during those 3 weeks I had a bad craving for some kind of protein, I was allowed to eat eggs because they are the purest form of protein. During the detox, I never went hungry. I was told that if I got hungry, then I needed to eat...but I could only eat fruits and veggies. So I wasn't ever starving myself. During those 3 weeks, I noticed dramatic changes, like my PCOS symptoms were reversing. My period showed up without the aid of medicine, my scalp psoriasis was clearing up, my blood pressure had lowered back into the normal range, I had more energy, I lost weight, and I just felt good all around. I felt good about myself for the first time in a long time. Even a couple of the skin tags on my neck started disappearing. I was shocked.
So thank you for posting this information. It has shed a lot of light on some things for me.
splashsmama is offline   Reply With Quote